Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Is the Glock 23 supposed to only slide shut using the slide release? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/glock-23-supposed-only-slide-shut-using-slide-release-48415/)

deadeyenight 09-17-2011 11:41 PM

Is the Glock 23 supposed to only slide shut using the slide release?

I was at a gun show today and looking at a Glock 23, and when I pulled the slide back to get it to release it wouldn't slide closed, it would only release after pulling the slide release. Is this normal/ok?

I have rented Glocks at the range and they always instructed me to pull the slide to release it rather than use the slide release to release (to keep it from wearing), so does that only work if the magazine is loaded? The Glock 23 I was looking at did have a bigger magazine and slide release installed so that could be why also.

Firearms4ever 09-17-2011 11:43 PM

What you're reffering to only happens when there is ammunition in the magazine.

Glasshartt 09-17-2011 11:44 PM

It wasn't loaded. The changed parts would not have had anythong to do with it.

deadeyenight 09-17-2011 11:49 PM

Thanks, seems like nothing's wrong with it then.

Marthor 09-18-2011 12:51 AM

Try it with a some snap caps if you want to verify it cycles correctly.

BigByrd47119 09-18-2011 03:22 AM

If the magazine was inserted, but unloaded, this could have been your problem. With an empty mag, your slide-stop would still be engaged, even if you pulled the slide to the rear.

Hope this helps.

Lindenwood 09-18-2011 09:03 PM

Has anyone ever actually worn out a slide release?

The manual on both my Taurus handguns says to use the slide release rather than slingshotting.

MrWray 09-18-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindenwood
Has anyone ever actually worn out a slide release?

The manual on both my Taurus handguns says to use the slide release rather than slingshotting.

I have also been trained to re-engage the slide manually after changing mags so i do it without thinking about it,BUT no i have never heard of a slide release wearing out.. I dont think either decisions r bad ones..

BigByrd47119 09-18-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray (Post 582401)
I have also been trained to re-engage the slide manually after changing mags so i do it without thinking about it,BUT no i have never heard of a slide release wearing out.. I don't think either decisions r bad ones..

This is an odd topic actually seeing as I just recently saw a video (well two to be precise) in which Bersa Thunder model firearms were having slide stop wear issues. One of these videos is from a warranty repair shop where the individual in the video explains the abnormally high number of guns returned with worn out slide stops.

Bersa actually refers to it as a "slide catch" which preludes to its intended purpose and suggests that it not be used as a "slide release."

MrWray 09-18-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigByrd47119

This is an odd topic actually seeing as I just recently saw a video (well two to be precise) in which Bersa Thunder model firearms were having slide stop wear issues. One of these videos is from a warranty repair shop where the individual in the video explains the abnormally high number of guns returned with work out slide stops.

Bersa actually refers to it as a "slide catch" which preludes to its intended purpose and suggests that it not be used as a "slide release."

Tht makes sense, i remember all my insructors saying tht the reason tht we train to re-engage with the slide is because it isnt good for the slide release but it also ensures tht the slide goes into battery properly