Glock 19 or Springfield XDM? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Glock 19 or Springfield XDM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 05:52 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSU08MS3 View Post
I cannot jump on the Glock Bandwagon, I haven't liked them since I shot one, the grip angle was just off for me, also I wouldn't call a trigger a safety, I really appreciate the grip safety on the XDM it's an auto on / auto off safety that requires two opposite forces to fire the gun. I went with the XDM9 Compact with the mag extension it's great for HD or range shooting, with the compact mag it's great for carrying.

Phillip
Phillip, I don't know how you can say a trigger isn't a safety? There is !!!NO WAY!!! for the glock to go off without "you" physically pulling the trigger. and if "you" are pulling the trigger you most likely wouldn't want to have a safety on. if for some reason the glock goes off with out you intending it to, shame on you. your not suppose to walk around with your finger on the trigger. if you are walking around with the gun in your hand no matter if its your xdm or my glock your grip safety wont save you because your grip safety will be compressed. either way the glock will not, no way it possible could go off if the trigger wasn't physically pulled.

im not trying to be rude by debating this with you at all, i am just really really confused on what your saying about a trigger not being a safety on the glock...

My dear boy if 5 miles away they don't sit up in their beds and go what the HELL was that, the gun is not big enough!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
Phillip, I don't know how you can say a trigger isn't a safety? There is !!!NO WAY!!! for the glock to go off without "you" physically pulling the trigger. and if "you" are pulling the trigger you most likely wouldn't want to have a safety on. if for some reason the glock goes off with out you intending it to, shame on you. your not suppose to walk around with your finger on the trigger. if you are walking around with the gun in your hand no matter if its your xdm or my glock your grip safety wont save you because your grip safety will be compressed. either way the glock will not, no way it possible could go off if the trigger wasn't physically pulled.

im not trying to be rude by debating this with you at all, i am just really really confused on what your saying about a trigger not being a safety on the glock...

You're correct the way I worded that was incorrect, The trigger is a "safety" but I guess I'm not 100% comfortable with that being the ONLY safety. This isn't to say I walk around with my finger on the trigger, in fact that's one of the scariest things to me (people that don't practice proper trigger safety) because as you stated the grip safety is going to be compressed if I'm holding the gun in a firing position. Where I appreciate the extra safety whether it's manual or grip is when the gun is not being held in a proper manner intended for shooting (ie. handing it off to someone, etc.) in the off chance something gets snagged on the trigger (whether that's a finger or anything else that can fit inside the trigger guard or something of that nature. I've never had a negligent discharge so I'm not sure what EXACTLY may happen, but since they can happen unless there's just something that much more amazing about a particular gun without one I don't see why you wouldn't want the added safety especially one like the XD grip safety that's auto on / auto off no extra steps required to remove when holding the gun with a grip intended for shooting.

Phillip

Old 03-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6015 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
Phillip, I don't know how you can say a trigger isn't a safety? There is !!!NO WAY!!! for the glock to go off without "you" physically pulling the trigger.
just stating my opinion:

would you carry a DA or SA revolver with the hammer back round under the hammer?? no different than carrying a glock.

to me it just isnt good practice to carry in such a manner. a DASA revolver with a cocked hammer wont go off anymore than a glock will unless you pull the trigger but you dont see peeps carrying them like that and it isnt taught in an safety course ive ever heard of.

i adhere to the school that says the real safety is the one tween your ears and proper training is the key to real gun safety.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2741 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

I have a Glock Model 27 that I carry all the time. It is in 40 Cal. Since I prefer the 40 Cal. over the 9mm for overall stopping power. Of course with some of the new ammunition that is out like Hornady Critical Defense it has improved the 9mm's potential.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wanted a Glock but it didn't work for me and ended with XDm as my first pistol. Being a newbie, the grip safety gave it an edge over other options. As I became more comfortable with guns, the extra safeties didn't matter as much and now own one w/o any but just being DA/SA for me is sufficient.

Last edited by Poink88; 03-22-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #26

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSU08MS3 View Post
You're correct the way I worded that was incorrect, The trigger is a "safety" but I guess I'm not 100% comfortable with that being the ONLY safety. This isn't to say I walk around with my finger on the trigger, in fact that's one of the scariest things to me (people that don't practice proper trigger safety) because as you stated the grip safety is going to be compressed if I'm holding the gun in a firing position. Where I appreciate the extra safety whether it's manual or grip is when the gun is not being held in a proper manner intended for shooting (ie. handing it off to someone, etc.) in the off chance something gets snagged on the trigger (whether that's a finger or anything else that can fit inside the trigger guard or something of that nature. I've never had a negligent discharge so I'm not sure what EXACTLY may happen, but since they can happen unless there's just something that much more amazing about a particular gun without one I don't see why you wouldn't want the added safety especially one like the XD grip safety that's auto on / auto off no extra steps required to remove when holding the gun with a grip intended for shooting.

Phillip
Phillip,

The trigger safety on the Glock is referred to as the "Drop" safety. It is an inertial protection to ensure that the weight of the trigger can not cause it to fire if the gun is dropped.

The internal safeties on the Glock are a standard style of firing pin block, as used on just about every pistol made today, and a sear block that physically blocks the firing pin (striker) from moving forward until the trigger is squeezed to the rear.

Tossing a fully loaded Glock from an airplane, onto a concrete runway, will not get it to fire. A Glock is as safe as the person holding it, just like any other gun.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #27

Default Glock 19 or Springfield XDM?

Wondering why you didn't consider the S&W M&P 9mm?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
I have a Glock Model 27 that I carry all the time. It is in 40 Cal. Since I prefer the 40 Cal. over the 9mm for overall stopping power. Of course with some of the new ammunition that is out like Hornady Critical Defense it has improved the 9mm's potential.

man i love my 27! got a blackhawk holster for it and conceals quite nicely.

My dear boy if 5 miles away they don't sit up in their beds and go what the HELL was that, the gun is not big enough!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
just stating my opinion:

would you carry a DA or SA revolver with the hammer back round under the hammer?? no different than carrying a glock.

to me it just isnt good practice to carry in such a manner. a DASA revolver with a cocked hammer wont go off anymore than a glock will unless you pull the trigger but you dont see peeps carrying them like that and it isnt taught in an safety course ive ever heard of.

i adhere to the school that says the real safety is the one tween your ears and proper training is the key to real gun safety.
everyone has their own opinions but no offense but your revolver example is completely ridiculous and different my friend! im sorry but as M14SROCK said a gun is only as safe as the person carrying it. In this case my glock being load with one in the tube on my hip is no different then you having a revolver with the hammer down on your hip....

just my opinion.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 AM   #30

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've got them both, and like them both alot. If I had to get rid of one, I'd ditch the Glock and keep the XDM. Sweet gun.

Active LE Sniper, AR15/M16 Armorer, Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, Taser Instructor, Sniper Team Leader, and owner of www.bigrivertactical.com :D 狙击手