Glock 19 or HK USP 9mm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Glock 19 or HK USP 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Glock 19 or HK USP 9mm

I'm currently on the fence about purchasing either a Glock 19 or a HK USP 9mm. Which gun should I go for?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Welcome to the forum. We have an "Introductions" area where you can say "Hi" next time you sign in. Our man, axxe55, pretty much setup our responses to these type questions.

What fits and works for me may not fit or work for you.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Mega View Post
I'm currently on the fence about purchasing either a Glock 19 or a HK USP 9mm. Which gun should I go for?
Go with the 19 the hk is bigger and comes in different variants which might stand inthe way of simplicty offered by the glock + its easier to find parts as well as mags for the 19.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsavy View Post
Go with the 19 the hk is bigger and comes in different variants which might stand inthe way of simplicty offered by the glock + its easier to find parts as well as mags for the 19.
The HK is wider. That's the only "bigger".

I carried a USP9C for 2 years. HK is top quality in every aspect. Feels great in your hand, especially with the finger rest on the compacts magazines. Recoil is negligible, and accuracy is exacting.

The glock offers 2 more rounds. In a slightly narrower package that I find more comfortable to conceal. And mags are half that of a HK mag.

That being said, 6 months ago I traded my USP9C for a G19. I shoot around 10,000 rounds annually in Idpa from a g34. It made perfect sense to carry a 19 considering all the practice time with the glock platform.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #5

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsavy View Post
Agreed.. Go with the Glock 19.

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm gonna do some shooting with both guns and see which fits me better and make a decision.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
jyo

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would favor the USPc or P2000 over the full-size USP---I am not a Glock fan, but admit they work well and I have shot many Glocks over the years. I just prefer the HKs.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 450

The USP was designed for .45 ACP cartridges. It's not a space efficient design for 9MM. Everything on the USP 9 costs more than a Glock, and HK magazines and accessories are hard to come by. Cost and availability of replacement parts and magazines figured heavily in my decision to give up my beloved USP 45, which sent many thousands of rounds downrange with no problems whatsoever, and purchase a replacement Glock 17.

I really liked the USP 45, but a 9MM Glock 17 was just more practical in a variety of different ways.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #9

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If the difference in price is not a problem, then go with the hk,, not sure how being available in different variants will get in the way, seems like the op could customize it to their specific needs.
The cost of magazines are more no doubt, but as far as replacement parts,, these things are built like swiss tanks,, parts will not be needed for a long, long time. Depending on wear and tear,, maybe not even in your lifetime.
( haven't needed to change or repair Anything on my USP.40,, as long as I've had it,, and it was used when I got it,, still performs flawlessly.)
I don't hate on glocks, , they get it done,, just not with as much style,, i just seem to prefer HK's

Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #10

Liked 510 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I like HK's but don't see the point of the USP in 9mm even though I know the Germans use them and a local SWAT team was using them in the late 90's. They are good guns but expensive for something that was really geared towards a bigger caliber.

Glock 19's are good guns and very popular.

I think you're right to test fire both. The biggest problem with your question is that those are two extremely different handguns.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain