Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > glock 19 gen3 or glock 19 gen4

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ajs19ad6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 12
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default glock 19 gen3 or glock 19 gen4

Honestly I'm fairly new to handguns. But what is the difference between gen3 and gen4?

I was told that this would be a good 'beginners' gun to start with. Is there truth to this? I'm open to suggestions on other guns.

__________________
ajs19ad6 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fupuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Grand Rapids,Michigan
Posts: 1,664
Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I know someone with more knowledge will be here soon. But the gen4s have a changeable back straps and the texture is different than the gen3. And i belive the trigger guard has a different texture on the outside of it also. And the guide rod and spring is a two piece spring. For a person just getting into handguns. Find a good .22 and learn the basics, plus you will always need a good .22 for a range gun and for around .03 cents a round its very cheap to shoot. Figure 9mm is roughley .25 cents a round so the cost to shoot just jumped in price by a fair amount.

__________________
fupuk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gladesbassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 173
Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs19ad6
Honestly I'm fairly new to handguns. But what is the difference between gen3 and gen4?

I was told that this would be a good 'beginners' gun to start with. Is there truth to this? I'm open to suggestions on other guns.
Like stated before, interchangeable back straps, a more aggressive grip and a dual recoil spring. Either way you go it's a good buy but gen 3 will cost less. Gen 4's also come with 3 mags except for the subcompacts which come with 2 while all gen 3's come with 2. If you get a gen 3 all the previous generations mags and part are able to work with it but since the gen 4 has a reversible mag release it can't take all mags from previous gens. Hope this helps, I own a gen3 and will be getting a gen 4 in the comming weeks.
__________________
gladesbassin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ajs19ad6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 12
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Awesome. Very helpful info. Thank you!

__________________
ajs19ad6 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 701
Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs19ad6
Awesome. Very helpful info. Thank you!
I would just go with the 4th generation. I just personally distaste the 3rd generation grips for some weird reason, I don't know.
__________________
Rarity is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sparky80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rockland,Maine
Posts: 379
Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default

Gen 4 subcompacts 26, 27 also come with three mags. I'd go Gen 4. Personally I like the texturing and the changeable backstraps.

__________________
sparky80 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
silverado113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern,Iowa
Posts: 2,993
Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesbassin View Post
Like stated before, interchangeable back straps, a more aggressive grip and a dual recoil spring. Either way you go it's a good buy but gen 3 will cost less. Gen 4's also come with 3 mags except for the subcompacts which come with 2 while all gen 3's come with 2. If you get a gen 3 all the previous generations mags and part are able to work with it but since the gen 4 has a reversible mag release it can't take all mags from previous gens. Hope this helps, I own a gen3 and will be getting a gen 4 in the comming weeks.
The gen4 G26 I currently have that I bought from the distributor came with 3 mags. I haven't had to order many subcompact gen fours though.
__________________

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.


Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

silverado113 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:58 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gladesbassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 173
Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

The gen4 G26 I currently have that I bought from the distributor came with 3 mags. I haven't had to order many subcompact gen fours though.
Yea I might be mistaken, I apologize if it's the wrong info. I don't really get into the subcompacts much.
__________________
gladesbassin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
silverado113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern,Iowa
Posts: 2,993
Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default

Just want to make sure you didn't get screwed on a mag. I have heard of dealers pulling a mag and then selling it separate.

__________________

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.


Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

silverado113 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gladesbassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 173
Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
Just want to make sure you didn't get screwed on a mag. I have heard of dealers pulling a mag and then selling it separate.
No sir, the smallest I go in glocks is the compact model. I got my ruger lc9 for real concealabilty.
__________________
gladesbassin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Glock 22 gen4 MachineGunFunkMatt Glock Forum 13 04-16-2012 10:51 PM
Glock 22 gen4 jsimion423 Glock Forum 2 03-15-2012 04:57 AM
Glock 19 GEN3 Test Fire Dates? larryis1 Glock Forum 3 03-03-2012 03:57 PM
Glock model26 Gen3 vs Gen4 shooterm26 General Handgun Discussion 11 02-17-2012 12:36 PM
New Gen3 Glock 27 lyodbraun Glock Forum 8 01-26-2012 05:54 PM