Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   glock 19 gen3 or glock 19 gen4 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/glock-19-gen3-glock-19-gen4-73385/)

ajs19ad6 09-29-2012 06:00 AM

glock 19 gen3 or glock 19 gen4

Honestly I'm fairly new to handguns. But what is the difference between gen3 and gen4?

I was told that this would be a good 'beginners' gun to start with. Is there truth to this? I'm open to suggestions on other guns.

fupuk 09-29-2012 06:49 AM

I know someone with more knowledge will be here soon. But the gen4s have a changeable back straps and the texture is different than the gen3. And i belive the trigger guard has a different texture on the outside of it also. And the guide rod and spring is a two piece spring. For a person just getting into handguns. Find a good .22 and learn the basics, plus you will always need a good .22 for a range gun and for around .03 cents a round its very cheap to shoot. Figure 9mm is roughley .25 cents a round so the cost to shoot just jumped in price by a fair amount.

gladesbassin 09-29-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs19ad6
Honestly I'm fairly new to handguns. But what is the difference between gen3 and gen4?

I was told that this would be a good 'beginners' gun to start with. Is there truth to this? I'm open to suggestions on other guns.

Like stated before, interchangeable back straps, a more aggressive grip and a dual recoil spring. Either way you go it's a good buy but gen 3 will cost less. Gen 4's also come with 3 mags except for the subcompacts which come with 2 while all gen 3's come with 2. If you get a gen 3 all the previous generations mags and part are able to work with it but since the gen 4 has a reversible mag release it can't take all mags from previous gens. Hope this helps, I own a gen3 and will be getting a gen 4 in the comming weeks.

ajs19ad6 09-29-2012 08:27 PM

Awesome. Very helpful info. Thank you!

Rarity 09-29-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs19ad6
Awesome. Very helpful info. Thank you!

I would just go with the 4th generation. I just personally distaste the 3rd generation grips for some weird reason, I don't know.

sparky80 09-30-2012 12:35 AM

Gen 4 subcompacts 26, 27 also come with three mags. I'd go Gen 4. Personally I like the texturing and the changeable backstraps.

silverado113 09-30-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gladesbassin (Post 958403)
Like stated before, interchangeable back straps, a more aggressive grip and a dual recoil spring. Either way you go it's a good buy but gen 3 will cost less. Gen 4's also come with 3 mags except for the subcompacts which come with 2 while all gen 3's come with 2. If you get a gen 3 all the previous generations mags and part are able to work with it but since the gen 4 has a reversible mag release it can't take all mags from previous gens. Hope this helps, I own a gen3 and will be getting a gen 4 in the comming weeks.

The gen4 G26 I currently have that I bought from the distributor came with 3 mags. I haven't had to order many subcompact gen fours though.

gladesbassin 09-30-2012 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado113

The gen4 G26 I currently have that I bought from the distributor came with 3 mags. I haven't had to order many subcompact gen fours though.

Yea I might be mistaken, I apologize if it's the wrong info. I don't really get into the subcompacts much.

silverado113 09-30-2012 03:00 AM

Just want to make sure you didn't get screwed on a mag. I have heard of dealers pulling a mag and then selling it separate.

gladesbassin 09-30-2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado113
Just want to make sure you didn't get screwed on a mag. I have heard of dealers pulling a mag and then selling it separate.

No sir, the smallest I go in glocks is the compact model. I got my ruger lc9 for real concealabilty.