Glock 17 or Beretta 92fs first handgun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Glock 17 or Beretta 92fs first handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock 17 or Beretta 92fs first handgun?

Hi, I am new to the whole sport of shooting and I loved it the moment I tried it. I am getting my license soon and I am unsure as to which handgun to buy. It will only be used for target shooting, no concealed carry or anything along those lines. Which one is more friendly to newbie shooters? More precise? Add anything else you feel I should know

Note that magazine size is not a factor because here in Canada all of your handgun magazines must be pinned to 10rds (I know that it's ridiculous)

Thanks a lot!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #2

I'm really new to shooting as well. With that said I bought my first gun (Glock G22 in .40 S&W) but after many trips to the range I have discovered I love the 1911's. I am currently debating which manufacturer to go with. However my love for my Glock has not gone away it's a great gun never had any issues and tear down for cleaning is super easy. The mods that can be done to Glocks are unless and I would strongly recommend them to anyone. Just a little advise from a fellow beginner. You will have fun with whatever you get.

Last edited by FernandoRod; 10-23-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #3

Liked 2403 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

I own both. I recommend a Glock as a carry friendly gun or run and gun competition gun.

If it is strictly s range and target gun, then the Beretta is the more precise gun and better target gun. The single action trigger mode is better for target use as well.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

If they exist in canada, find a range that rents handguns and try em each out. The first pistol i ever fired was a Beretta m9 in a basic pistol class. It is a good, accurate gun. Ive never fired a glock, didnt care for the grip angle when i held it in the store. I am always amazed when talking to people in other countries at the differences in viees on firearms hunting and self defense.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

I do not know your experience level, but am hoping you have the basics down.

The Glock (in my opinion) does not require too much thought to shoot. No thumb safety, easy to reload, some mods are available.

Beretta is heavy, bulky, even less mods available.

1911, heavy, mods are available everywhere, easy to learn (but still requires some thinking on the shooter's part), easy to get repaired or upgraded.

If you do not have the basics down, then I would suggest that you look at a revolver to learn them on. A revolver does not lend itself to "spray and pray" practice, and any problems in learning the basics is readily identified.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #6

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I'm for the 92FS. Or the new 92A1.

Look at it like this:

Get some experience with metal storage containers,

before you go to tupperware...

Old 10-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6607 Times on 3681 Posts
Likes Given: 6262

Either will serve you well.

I have both, and have had for many years.

If you go with the Beretta, make sure you get a "decocker" only model, so you're not cursed with that damnable manual safety.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton
I am always amazed when talking to people in other countries at the differences in viees on firearms hunting and self defense.
Oh man, don't get me started on the crazy laws we have here that are supposed to stop crime (yeah right)

Thanks a lot for all of the help, as of now I'm leaning more towards the Beretta. And I do have prior shooting experience but only with an SKS, Kriss Vector, and a Glock 17

Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have many guns and I see both glock and beretta listed on the replys. I have glock g17 as well as a beretta 92fs. Both are great guns. I also have a beretta px4 storm and a cz75sp01 tactical which are great shooters. Good luck...