Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Glaser Safety Slug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Glaser Safety Slug

Has anyone had any experience with the Glaser Safety Slug and/or what is yer opinion of it. It will be used in 357 mag fore home defense. My concern is over penetration ,my sister is having a baby in September it will be staying with us until my sister is done with her navy service.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Not enough mass to reliably penetrate a given goblin. Indoors shotgun with bb or smaller is enough at the ranges you face inside a dwelling. Especially in a cylinder bore shorter barrel like a mossberg 590a1.

Nothing short of a nerfgun is 100% not gonna go through walls. Your better prepaired by knowing your safe fields of fire and having a plan you practice to secure your loved ones. A plan like, intruder breaks in everyone to x location and get on the floor, call 911, defend the entry. Its a good idea to give the police info about where you are in the house where the intruder is what your descriptions are what the intruder description is and not to hang up on the dispatcher.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-13-2012 at 05:01 AM.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9243
Has anyone had any experience with the Glaser Safety Slug and/or what is yer opinion of it. It will be used in 357 mag fore home defense. My concern is over penetration ,my sister is having a baby in September it will be staying with us until my sister is done with her navy service.
I've never had to shoot anybody with them, but when I was living in an apartment, my thinking was that I would rather take the chance of having the bad guy get to me, rather than in the heat of the moment have a round go through the wall and kill the neighbors kid.

I would imagine they would do the job of stopping the threat, especially with multiple hits.

But, it comes down to whatever you are comfortable with.

EDIT:

JonM's suggestion of a shotgun w/birdshot would be a better course of action, for sure.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7561 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Glasers may penetrate more than you think.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot4.htm

In my humble opinion, if you are using an autoloader, the FIRST (and maybe second, third and fourth) criteria- it must function in YOUR gun 100.000000% of the time. I understand concerns about excessive penetration, but reliability is the driving force.

A handgun that does not shoot is a rather poorly designed club.

There has also been a LOT of discussion that the STOPPING power of a Glaser may not be as good as they are claimed to be. Have not shot anyone with one, so I cannot say.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

In my opinion, a waste of money. My department would not allow them for either on or off duty carry.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

The Glasers came along before the recent improved hollow point designs. A good light weight (for caliber) HP from Speer, Federal, or Winchester is a far better choice.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm def curious to how effective/safe they are. I bought the 6 round 9mm package just out of curiosity for my P95. I haven't been able to find any detailed research or reviews on it in 9mm though. I'm curious to maybe just carry my first 2 rounds being those, and the following 13 some quality hollow points just in cause the first 2 aren't enough.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I keep them in my my 2 HD weapons, my .380 auto has glazers and a similar saftey slug is in my .357 revolver.

I have neighbours on all sides of me and given the probaility that the bad guy in my hall way wont be wearing body armor, it seems like a reasonable balance between protective firepower and good neighbour responcibility.