Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Give me some feedback on these shots (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/give-me-some-feedback-these-shots-28042/)

ScottA 06-07-2010 07:23 PM

Give me some feedback on these shots

2 Attachment(s)
Take a look at the following silohuette from earlier today. It was shot with my Ruger SP101 at 10 yards.

I seem to have cured my pulling on the DA trigger (thankfully), but there's another issue. My shots at the X hit above in the outer orange ring. My shots at the 9 grouped around 8. My shots at 8 grouped at 7. And so on. Even when dropping the front sight low in the rear notch, I'm shooting 2 to 3 inches high. What do you think I'm doing, and what can I do to correct it?

Then there is my Springfield XDm .40. I love this gun. It makes me look like a far better shooter than I am. Shot at 20 yards.

DrumJunkie 06-07-2010 07:24 PM

Umm..Don't see anything:confused:
As for shooting high unless you are shooting from a rest you will have a little trouble knowing just where it shoots.

ScottA 06-07-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 296286)
Umm..Don't see anything:confused:
As for shooting high unless you are shooting from a rest you will have a little trouble knowing just where it shoots.

Bit of a problem getting the pictures uploaded. :o

DrumJunkie 06-07-2010 07:37 PM

heh..happens man. Your target looks pretty good. I'd say that paper bad guy got killt till he was dead.

amoroque 06-07-2010 07:41 PM

Those targets look pretty darn good to me.........great shooting.

I'm not an expert by any means, but my friend was having the same problem, and he was always shooting high.

he changed grips to some that fit his hand a little better and the problem stopped.

We think it was because with the old grips the recoil would kick the gun up and he didnt have enough to hang on to to keep the gun level.

Thats just my .02. :)

diggsbakes 06-07-2010 08:37 PM

The above is great advise, switch to Hogues or a custom wood with finger-grooves, the difference is amazing.

You still are definitely developing your DA pull. That skill takes a very long time to perfect. Just load up some snap caps and work on it daily. I do at least 200-300 pulls per night probably 5 nights a week, using both hands. It'll also help to loosen up that trigger.

Looks like you're on the right path though. :)

Nice targets with that XDM, very nice.

Dillinger 06-07-2010 09:17 PM

I'd say the only problem is you are not shooting with the XD enough. :D

The targets look great. I think with the revolver, you might have a grip issue, but I would be more concerned with the range ( 10 yards ) and where the pistol groups with the sights you have on her.

If it doesn't group point of aim out of a rest at that range, it could be that you have sights there were designed for further than 10 yards. The sights might be too thick and squat, covering too much of the target, forcing your barrel up higher than you would think.

If you don't have a ranson rest, and few do, the next best thing would be to try some serious sandbag action, lock the weapon in place without the sight picture and see where it is grouping at that distance.

It could be you, but it could also just be that you don't have the right sights for the distance you are shooting it. Obviously with the XD, you have proven you can shoot it very well, so it could be two very minor things adding together to force your shots high.

Or it could be a conspiracy. :cool:

JD

Shihan 06-07-2010 09:30 PM

That XD does some nice shooting at 20yds(60ft) very nice grouping for that distance. As For the SP101 Looks like Dead BG to me, are you heeling it?

ScottA 06-07-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 296366)
That XD does some nice shooting at 20yds(60ft) very nice grouping for that distance. As For the SP101 Looks like Dead BG to me, are you heeling it?

Heeling it? Hmmm? I'll have to check that next time. The recoil on the SP101 is more noticeable to me than my auto. That's a possibility.

diggsbakes 06-07-2010 10:15 PM

Buy this book

This really helped me out with my grip and trigger pull, as well as sight picture. Just keep dry-firing and practicing an it'll come.

"How to Become a Master Handgunner: The Mechanics of X-Count Shooting, Revised and Updated Edition" Book by Charles Stephens - MidwayUSA

Are you sure that XDM printed that at 20 yards or 20 feet. If you can shoot that well from 20 yards you should be writing handgun books. :)