girls don't like guns... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

girls don't like guns...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohica83 View Post
So I'm looking into getting my wife a pistol, but I'm in a pickle about what to get her. Something semi-auto, compact, but will still ruin your day if she has to use it. I have an XD .45 and she likes shooting it, but a bit too much kick for her. So xd or sig or fnp? 9 or 380 or 40 cal? Any insight?
Women will surprise you everytime. They approach gun selection without preconceived notions and better yet they refuse to listen to anyone but their hearts. I've had women successfuly learn to shoot a Scandium S&W snubbie J frame in one day because no one told them they couldn't and they LISTENED!!!

After a LOT of trial and many errors in my part, both my wife and my daughter LOVE Kahrs. The slim grip and simple ergonomics make it an ideal female gun and I can tell you Dad does not mind borowing them at times.

My wife also loves her Kimber UltraCarry .45 but she is now a very experienced shooter and practices all the time. She also shoots IDPA with that gun.

Take her to a well stocked gun shop and let her hold as many as she wants. You'll know when she finds love...

Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/wifes-cc-weapon-41055/

Here is another discussion on the topic. Most everything has already been covered in there .

Old 04-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I believe Browning makes a 380 with a snap up barrel so the slide does not have to be racked to load it. It is not a mouse gun. Recoil would be very mild and the 380 would have more power in the longer barrel. Bersa makes a good quality reasonably priced gun based on the PPK if racking the slide is doable.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3479 Times on 1995 Posts
Likes Given: 1528

Bohica (Don't tell us what the acronym is)
Welcome to the FTF. Drop by the "Introductions" area a little later.

Allow me to give a little advice. The little French Maid's outfit I bought my wife. I thought it was the ticket. Along with the 6" heels, OOh La La.

Somehow it was not what she wanted, and never wears it. What she does wear is the flannel nightgown that she purchased.

You may want to see what she would select (women's tastes are a little different than ours.) She would be more likely to carry what she selected before carrying what we think is best for her.

Get her to a range and let her shoot some to help in HER decision.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If it hasn't been mentioned, get her to try the lil Bersa Thunder in .380; my sister loves the one she took from me.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Bohica (Don't tell us what the acronym is)
Welcome to the FTF. Drop by the "Introductions" area a little later.

Allow me to give a little advice. The little French Maid's outfit I bought my wife. I thought it was the ticket. Along with the 6" heels, OOh La La.

Somehow it was not what she wanted, and never wears it. What she does wear is the flannel nightgown that she purchased.

You may want to see what she would select (women's tastes are a little different than ours.) She would be more likely to carry what she selected before carrying what we think is best for her.

Get her to a range and let her shoot some to help in HER decision.
+1! Take her a range that rents handguns, let her try a few and then let HER make up her own mind!!! Great advice...

Old 04-14-2011, 02:49 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 983 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 1876

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Oh yeah, I shot a Taurus airweight 38 snub and it was a handful. It was not plesant to shoot nor was it easy to shoot.
I've a J-Frame Airweight .38 and it isn't any more uncomfortable to shoot than my Para P-10.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #18

Thanks a lot for the words of wisdom. I did take the wife to a range and let her shoot 357 snub, xd sub 9, and an xd sub 40. Believe it or not she decided on the 40 cal haha. She actually shot much better groups with the .40 cal than she did anything else.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #19

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dont fall into the trap of only briefly shooting the weapon at a practice range to decide. If you do, it's kinda like making the choice to marry someone with only a few perfectly staged dates to base your opionions on - it doesnt tell you much about what it will be like to actually live with her ....

While she may like the feel of shooting one particular weapon over another at the target range, that is not going to be the full ownership cycle she should consider as a balanced criteria for the purchase,

Make sure she is fully aware and comfortable with all the factors that will be involved such as:

- usage: carry vs left at home - that will impace size and weight criteria
- 'panic mode' comfort with the weapon i.e, does she fully understand it's pre-fire prep and can do so 'automatically' if the time ever comes - that may point to a revolver or auto as the basis of the platform
- maintainace of the weapon - can she field strip it, clean it?
- cost of operation, is practice ammo costs going to be any factor in the decision
- purchase cost - there are a lot of choices out there, some are very good values, some are very costly. be sure to establish a budget then research option thoruoughly within that price point.

Unless she is going to become a sport shooter, this purchase will most likely be her single weapon and therefore should attempt to be the best fit for her in all aspects, so I would treat this the same way I would if I was buying her a hunk of jewelry, just because I think it is pretty doenst mean she will, so be safe an fully inolve her in purchase decision, but also make sure she is aware of all the points above.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #20

.22 Magnum Very little recoil