Gift for Husband - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gift for Husband

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
If you've got to wing it, a 4-6" Ruger GP100 is a pretty safe bet as a quality "vanilla" revolver. Good gun, fair price, built to last. There are fancier options, more expensive guns, etc...but then you're diverting into more specific tastes. I think the GP100 is about the closest thing you'll find to a modern, affordable, high quality, "one size fits all" revolver.
I was thinking the same gun if going the revolver route. Does he have a 1911? If not a Wilson Combat would make his day... year... life?

Old 11-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21504 Times on 12208 Posts
Likes Given: 53546

people keep mentioning specific handguns or types. i will put this very simply. could my wife go out and buy me any handgun, price not even in the equation? no, she couldn't. reason is, i would appreciate her wanting to do such a thing and also think, i had the most wonderful wife there is and love the fact that she cares to try do something like that. but, if she got something i liked, it would be pure luck. without knowing what her husband's specific interests or wants are, it would be blind luck that she would get him one that he likes of fits him. he may not even be a revolver kind of guy, he may not even like the 1911 45 type of pistols. the 1911 is not the best fitting gun in my hand, but i love them enough that i will always own one, or several. but i have other pistols that fit my hand way better. so without knowing someone very personally and their likes and dislikes, suggesting she buy this gun or that gun for her husband isn't right.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
people keep mentioning specific handguns or types. i will put this very simply. could my wife go out and buy me any handgun, price not even in the equation? no, she couldn't. reason is, i would appreciate her wanting to do such a thing and also think, i had the most wonderful wife there is and love the fact that she cares to try do something like that. but, if she got something i liked, it would be pure luck. without knowing what her husband's specific interests or wants are, it would be blind luck that she would get him one that he likes of fits him. he may not even be a revolver kind of guy, he may not even like the 1911 45 type of pistols. the 1911 is not the best fitting gun in my hand, but i love them enough that i will always own one, or several. but i have other pistols that fit my hand way better. so without knowing someone very personally and their likes and dislikes, suggesting she buy this gun or that gun for her husband isn't right.
She asked, that's the whole point of this thread. Not to mention saying that a wife wouldn't know what to get is a knock on women shooters. I grew up with both parents bring avid gun nuts. I remember one xmas when my parents got each other Walther PPK's my mom got my dad a PPK S and my dad got my mom a PPK. Neither had any idea what the other was grtting.

My first wife was not into guns herself, but she sure knew what guns I liked. If you think it would be pure luck if your wife got you something you would like, that doesn't speak very highly of your relationship and communication. If a husband loves guns enough for a wife to even be considering buying a gun for him, then guns are obviously an interest of his and therefore should be a topic for a wife to know. Obviously this wife knows her guns and husband and is simply asking for some ideas based on his military interest.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2707 Times on 1416 Posts
Likes Given: 221

I need more coffee

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 11-27-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21504 Times on 12208 Posts
Likes Given: 53546

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFBSP View Post
She asked, that's the whole point of this thread. Not to mention saying that a wife wouldn't know what to get is a knock on women shooters. I grew up with both parents bring avid gun nuts. I remember one xmas when my parents got each other Walther PPK's my mom got my dad a PPK S and my dad got my mom a PPK. Neither had any idea what the other was grtting.

My first wife was not into guns herself, but she sure knew what guns I liked. If you think it would be pure luck if your wife got you something you would like, that doesn't speak very highly of your relationship and communication. If a husband loves guns enough for a wife to even be considering buying a gun for him, then guns are obviously an interest of his and therefore should be a topic for a wife to know. Obviously this wife knows her guns and husband and is simply asking for some ideas based on his military interest.
if she knew what gun to buy her husband, i doubt she would have come on here and posted the question. for the record, i wasn't knocking women shooters or owners, because i wouldn't want my father or brother to try and buy me a handgun either.

FWIW, my relationship with my wife is very good, but my tastes in pistols can change quickly and also my wife does shoot with me, but wouldn't know the difference between a $400 or $3000 1911 45!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #36

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Maggie, The only revolver with a US military history that comes to mind is the S&W Mod. 10 Military & Police. Most collectors will tell you that it is a mandatory part of any serious collection, but it is a real yawn to shoot. I second winds-of-change's thoughts on this. Either get a buddy of his to dig out the info for you or get him a gift certificate from a reputable independent gun shop and let him pick out what he wants.
I respectfully disagree regarding shooting Model 10's.
And I would also suggest she look at a Colt SAA or 1911. YMMV.

USN Vet
Retired LEO
" o xein angellein Lakedaimoniois hote tede
keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"

Old 11-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #37

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First of all Maggie, let me just express my appreciation for your husband's service to our country.

He should be appreciative of your support of his sport/hobby.

You mentioned his hunting buddy. Depending on what he hunts and what he likes to hunt with he might appreciate a revolver up to that task. If he is going for deer or some larger animals he would probably want a larger caliber and something that he can attach a scope to. Some good choices would be a Ruger GP-100 or a Redhawk in .45 Colt or .44 Magnum. Colt and Smith & Wesson also make some fine hunting revolvers.

You did not mention what you are budgeting for his gift. Some of these guns are pricey.

Good luck and a Merry Christmas to you.