Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Gift for Husband (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/gift-husband-51723/)

maggie 11-13-2011 05:52 PM

Gift for Husband

I'm considering getting my husband a new gun for Christmas. I don't know much about guns but I know he is wanting to broaden the variety of his collection.

To give you an idea of his likes, he has a shotgun and rifle, and a few handguns, including a Sig Sauer P229, Springfield XDM, and Beretta something (it's a 9mm, but I'm not sure of the model)

One thing he does not have is a revolver, but when we browse guns at stores, he does mention it would be a fun gun to have.

Also, he is active duty military, so I thought it might be cool to get him something with military history, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

winds-of-change 11-13-2011 06:07 PM

I would try to figure out what he would really want. Maybe you can ask a buddy of his to start a gun discussion for you and he can figure out what your husband would like. Or maybe just take him shopping when he gets home and let him pick out his own. I know that's not as fun a surprise but you want to him like the gun.

Doc3402 11-13-2011 06:36 PM

Maggie, The only revolver with a US military history that comes to mind is the S&W Mod. 10 Military & Police. Most collectors will tell you that it is a mandatory part of any serious collection, but it is a real yawn to shoot. I second winds-of-change's thoughts on this. Either get a buddy of his to dig out the info for you or get him a gift certificate from a reputable independent gun shop and let him pick out what he wants.

Gordo323 11-13-2011 06:43 PM

Who could not like a Colt Single Action Army in .45 colt?

JTJ 11-13-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc3402 (Post 626721)
Maggie, The only revolver with a US military history that comes to mind is the S&W Mod. 10 Military & Police. Most collectors will tell you that it is a mandatory part of any serious collection, but it is a real yawn to shoot. I second winds-of-change's thoughts on this. Either get a buddy of his to dig out the info for you or get him a gift certificate from a reputable independent gun shop and let him pick out what he wants.

There are the 45 SA and DA revolvers too but the good old ones are collectors and pricey. A Colt Single Action in 45 Long Colt would be from the cavalry times but are still made.
It would be best not to surprise him with something he may not like. He might just want a shooter like a .357 mag or 44 mag in S&W or Ruger but you really dont know. Go the buddy route or just take him shopping.

sweeper22 11-13-2011 07:28 PM

If you've got to wing it, a 4-6" Ruger GP100 is a pretty safe bet as a quality "vanilla" revolver. Good gun, fair price, built to last. There are fancier options, more expensive guns, etc...but then you're diverting into more specific tastes. I think the GP100 is about the closest thing you'll find to a modern, affordable, high quality, "one size fits all" revolver.

Axxe55 11-13-2011 07:59 PM

maggie, it is a very nice thing you are wanting to do for your husband and i applaude you for it. but a handgun is very personal and what works, fits or others like, may not suit your husbands hands or be something he likes to shoot. if your goal is to suprise him, find out through one of his friends, or start a conversation about guns, or even go gun shopping making him think you might want your own gun, trust me, he will give you some idea of ones he really likes. no man will go with his wife and look at guns for her, without looking at ones he likes too! or maybe give him a gift certificate to a gun store in your area for him to get what he wants. your husband is a lucky man to have a wife like you. you deserve a big high five!:D

spittinfire 11-13-2011 08:38 PM

My first though is a 357 Magnum. They're a must for any collection and fun revolver to shoot. See if he mentions anything about a magnum or talk to one of his buddies, see if he's talked to them about one.

EagleSix 11-13-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 626777)
maggie, it is a very nice thing you are wanting to do for your husband and i applaude you for it. but a handgun is very personal and what works, fits or others like, may not suit your husbands hands or be something he likes to shoot. if your goal is to suprise him, find out through one of his friends, or start a conversation about guns, or even go gun shopping making him think you might want your own gun, trust me, he will give you some idea of ones he really likes. no man will go with his wife and look at guns for her, without looking at ones he likes too! or maybe give him a gift certificate to a gun store in your area for him to get what he wants. your husband is a lucky man to have a wife like you. you deserve a big high five!:D

maggie....ditto on axxe55 ^^^......and to follow his lead....you also have my "hi-5".....

HOSSFLY 11-13-2011 11:05 PM

No 1911 :confused: