Gf's little Sister's BDAY - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gf's little Sister's BDAY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
ive noticed alot of similarities between the glock and xd designs
But it's the differences that make the difference. Now, I'm not trying to start a p*ssing contest amongst the Tupperware/No Tupperware camps, or between the Glock and Springfield camps, but I'd be happy to join one!

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-28-2010, 04:26 AM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
i'm the FNG, its true that i have no idea what this board is about yet...

however, i do know a couple things about a couple things.

the grip safety is purely preference.. in my opinion, it's just an added complication/failure point and unnecessary in conjunction with a trigger safety. it should be one or the other, not both.

i'm surprised to hear you say better trigger- the XD fans i know will concede the XD trigger sucks, if nothing else. it's got one of the longest, weakest resets i've ever felt, on top of an already long pull. the glock pull is about half, and the reset is very short and sharp. i don't know how much experience you have, but these are pretty important and widely accepted as critical in a combat handgun.

the factory sights are unimpressive, but perfectly good day sights. i think most guys change out to warrens/trij front or both, but i've never bothered. thats what weaponlights are for. i cant for the life of me recall anything about the XD factory sights, so i cant comment.

as far as ergos... that's another totally preference issue. if you hold your thumbs back, you're not gonna like the glock grip. but if you use a positive two hand wrap, with your support palm against the support side grip, thumbs forward, you actually really cant get any better than the glock grip. i actually didn't shoot with thumbs forward before i made the switch from .45 1911s to 9mm glocks, but the glock grip forced me to- and i'll never go back. controllability doubled, for me.

the XD is great for guys used to a top-heavy weapon with a super high bore-axis.. but even being a former 1911 guy, i'm done with that. glock's bore-axis is, on the other hand, extremely low- and if you choke up your grip, you're so close to the slide you actually have to watch out for bite- leads to extremely controllable muzzle whip, especially in a 9mm. the XDs make up for the high bore-axis with extra weight, but i'd rather just have it be substantially less of an issue to begin with, in a lighter, smaller package.
Glad to see you are strong in your conviction ,but you completely lost me at "switched from 1911's to a glock 9mm" ...........

Hey, tastes differ. I'll stick to xd's for polymer firearms, and 1911 for carry.

The g26 is still a tiny block of polymer. The thin profile of the 1911 makes it easier for carry.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #33

"conviction" implies a level of faith, or "blind faith," specifically. the switch was based solely on facts. i had to take a real good look at just what exactly i liked about the .45... and when i compared to that with all that i was learning about gunfighting; terminal ballistics, acute stress response, grip and stance in regard to fast-accuracy, etc... i realized my love for the 1911 was just that, and only that- romance.

it's low capacity, high recoil, high bore-axis, very low MRBF... compared to the g17's 17 round capacity, very low recoil, very low bore-axis, exceptionally high MRBF- one of the highest, if not THE highest, across the board- it just didn't make any sense to sell myself short for nothing more than sentiment and aesthetics.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #34

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Don't tell me that you're treating the love of my life like a common whore! You'd better be taking good care of that BHP.
John Moses Browning's final masterpiece kept in my stewardship, is in DEFCON 1 with two more loaded mags than you will shoot on your next visit to the Super Secret Squirrel Range, code name Revere.

Give me a heads-up when to expect your in-bound AMC flight.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #35

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Springfield XD's are twice as good as glocks.
Bla-bla-bla-bla-bla. Good gosh.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #36

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
With this he should not rule out Revolver!
Well, I agree, especially for a 20 year-old with no experience, but that's what the OP said!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #37

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Maybe, as recommended by RugerShootingGal, I'll take her to the range and rent an LCR. Even if she doens't like it, I'm sure I'll enjoy shooting it.

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #38
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Oh, Nevermind what Cane, Goju, and Shihan said. Well, we see how that works. Hell, RSG didn't even post in this thread.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #39

small frame/short barreled revolvers are extremely difficult to shoot just on the range, terribly so to utilize effectively in a real self defense situation- even for well-trained individuals. i don't know why they're still so widely recommended.

i bought into that gunshop myth, myself, once upon a time, before i knew anything about gunfighting, and went through two different j-frames for my wife before finally realizing on my own that snubbies are not only not a good choice, but are a BAD choice for women/inexperienced shooters. the mainsprings are terribly heavy, the trigger pulls are a mile long with full reset, the sight radius is laughable, j-frame muzzle control would be an oxymoron even without the tiny grip, they're horribly loud- and you only get 5 chances to work through all that, and you can forget about a reload. ack! don't throw all that at an inexperienced shooter.

instead- teach them the 4 Rules of Firearm Safety, give them a low-recoil stiker-fired or otherwise light double-action auto, and show them how to rack the slide. ammo is half the price, they can shoot twice as much before fatiguing, and the gun is exponentially more forgiving in the accuracy dept.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #40
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Most Women are not going to get into a Gunfight, It is meant for Self Defense, When a woman is attacked, it is usually from up close, where a hammerless Snub nose revolver can be pulled and placed in the side of Perp and fired. Why take the risk and worry of having to rack the slide of a semi-auto or having to worry that shoving said Semi in the BG's ribs disengaging the Pistol.

A revolver is a perfectly good choice for a Woman to carry as a Self defense weapon.