Getting CCW and have handgun question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Getting CCW and have handgun question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know what you mean by pop up

Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

SA/DA , DAO, S/A, D/A..... I am not 100% sure who offers what.

Does someone make a .380 with a hammer that you can pull (for the first shot) instead of cycling a slide? Then after the first pull of the hammer it will shoot as a regular semi auto? Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #13

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecasejr View Post
The wife and I just completed the Tennessee CCW Permit school and are in process of going through the paperwork to get the permit. I have a Taurus PT 640 Pro (.40 Cal) and she has a Taurus PT22 (.22 LR). I am not comfortable with her choice but after her handling multiple handguns, she felt the most comfortable with the PT22.
Quote:
The reason is that on ALL of the semi auto's (she does NOT want a revolver), she was not able to pull back the slide. Not a single one.
The PT22 has a pop up design to load the first round so she does not have to pull the slide back.

At the range, her PT22 jammed 4 times out of 48 rounds, Not good. She was shooting CCI Mini Mags. I am going to try a different brand and see if that fixes the jamming problem, but the weak caliber has me feeling uneasy. She said she would consider a stronger caliber if it has a pop up loader or a trigger pull for the first round instead of pulling the slide back. I am considering trading the .22 for a .32 or .380 if we can find that design. Any ideas for her "perfect" purse pistol? It also needs to be as small as (or very close to) the size of the PT22.

Thanks for helping a newbee out!
This is where i usually recommend the Ruger SR9C
But the slide on one is a real bear to manually opperate
My wife loves hers BUT she carries it basicly "cocked 'n locked" I would NOT want her to have to chamber her first round in the heat of the "moment"-
Now she had a Bersa 380 that was a breeze to "pull the slide back" but she wasn't happy with it

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 943 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 206

So, you load one in the chamber and she carries it, problem solved...

I'm not sure the Bersa 380 is that much easier. My wife's is still breaking in, but it's awful stiff, and IMO not much better easier then the 9.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #15

Have her try the method of using her balm on one side of the slide and all 4 fingers on the other. It should help a lot. If that does t work look for an assist add on. Someone makes a loop that hooks to the glock slide. Something like that will help. Get at LEAST a .380.

My Ruger LC9 is pretty easy, but if she has arthritis or something, I can understand. Or just rack it for her and she won't have to worry about it. Mine is always ready except at the range.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #16

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
So, you load one in the chamber and she carries it, problem solved...
Thats pretty much it- Whatever she carries needs to be "on the ready" anyways-
If she gets into a firefight all she has to do when MT is slam another mag home & use the slide "release"

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #17

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I second the above suggestions, go to the range, rent some larger calibers. Imo she needs a weapon she can cycle and operate by herself. You may not always be there to load and lock it for her. she will need to be independent in case she has the misfortune of having to use it.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #18

Try a Taurus .380 I think its the TCP It looks like a nippy lil' gun! I'm relatively new to guns but I'd rather have a .380 than a .22 correct me if I'm wrong...

Old 02-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #19

Liked 1077 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Beretta DEFINITELY makes a tip-up loading gun. I also know they chamber them in 380 Auto. Stop by the Beretta forum, they will point you to the exact ones.

Interestingly enough, my wife has the same issue with skimobiles. She can't, (refuses?) to pull the recoil starter. Now, if she want's to, she can take you down, she's not a wimp. Maybe there's a specific set of "guy muscles" that allow you to do these kinds of things that women just don't exercise? So, we will be getting her an electric start sled.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #20

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

pt22 is a good gun I used to have one , they are a bit picky what they like to feed but I had excellent results with ball mini mags 40gr

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin