Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Getting CCW and have handgun question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Getting CCW and have handgun question

The wife and I just completed the Tennessee CCW Permit school and are in process of going through the paperwork to get the permit. I have a Taurus PT 640 Pro (.40 Cal) and she has a Taurus PT22 (.22 LR). I am not comfortable with her choice but after her handling multiple handguns, she felt the most comfortable with the PT22. The reason is that on ALL of the semi auto's (she does NOT want a revolver), she was not able to pull back the slide. Not a single one. The PT22 has a pop up design to load the first round so she does not have to pull the slide back.

At the range, her PT22 jammed 4 times out of 48 rounds, Not good. She was shooting CCI Mini Mags. I am going to try a different brand and see if that fixes the jamming problem, but the weak caliber has me feeling uneasy. She said she would consider a stronger caliber if it has a pop up loader or a trigger pull for the first round instead of pulling the slide back. I am considering trading the .22 for a .32 or .380 if we can find that design. Any ideas for her "perfect" purse pistol? It also needs to be as small as (or very close to) the size of the PT22.

Thanks for helping a newbee out!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

IDK what a pop up loader is, but from what you say about the pistol its unreliable. That's not good esp for a sd firearm. My wife had some trouble getting her slide back on her khar, it helped her to grip the gun with her dominate hand (RH) grip the slide w/her left and instead of pulling the slide back w/her left hand she pushes the gun forward w/her RH. I hope this helps , good luck

Old 02-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Off the top of my head I cannot think of another pistol that has the same design that you are talking about. Not to say another firearm does not have it I just cant recall. I know the pistol you are talking about and I HAD one at one time. It is gone now lol. The Bersa thunder series makes a small frame that is in .380 and as I remember was very easy to pull the slide.
Try taking your wife to one of those ranges that offer rentals and range times to let her try diffrent weapons and calibers. That way she can be sure the pistol is just right, and she can handle the recoil and be accurate with it. Just be open minded that some of those pistols that some of those ranges use do not get the best maintainance so you may experiance some jams or such.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I believe Beretta makes a pop-up type in .25 & .32. If I remember correctly, the 21A is the .25 & Bobcat is the .32, but not sure.

Edit: Sorry, I was wrong the Mod. 21 IS the Bobcat & is .25APC. The Mod. 3032 Tomcat is their .32ACP.

Last edited by gollygee; 02-04-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

If it has issues with CCI mini mags, that's a bad sign. They consistently run better than just about anything else in finicky rimfires.

The best "purse gun" will almost always be a revolver...because it can be fired from within the purse, without the other contents fouling things up when it attempts to cycle. A semiauto carried in a purse is best done in a purse that's designed specifically for a concealed weapon, IMO.

My best suggestion would be to try and find a medium compact (not micro) 380 or 9mm that she might be able to cycle, and have her at least try revolvers a bit. A good 38sp+P is probably what would serve her best. The 32acp is a pretty anemic round and there aren't a whole lot of quality firearms made in that caliber. I'd keep the 22lr (or upgrade to a better 22lr) until she finds a more appropriate caliber that will work for her.

Check out some 22lr/380acp/9mm options from Bersa or Walther. They offer guns where frames are nearly identical in all three calibers. Maybe replace the Taurus with a Bersa Thunder 22lr for example, and add a Thunder 9mm or 380 to transition toward. Also look into Sig P232 and P239...but don't buy a Sig 22lr pistol.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Check out the Beretta Tomcat.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Check out the Beretta Tomcat.
My wife was looking at the Stoeger Cougar and the Beretta Tomcat a few months ago.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

One more suggestion I neglected: Ruger SR22 and SR9.

Rugers tend to have a bit of extra slop built into their pistols, which aids in reliability and might make for an easier slide pull for the wife.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #9

Is the gun new or broke in? Lubed properly? Try a high velocity ammo if the owners manual allows.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote: "The reason is that on ALL of the semi auto's (she does NOT want a revolver), she was not able to pull back the slide. Not a single one."

There is a method that makes it easier to operate a slide. Rather than holding the rear of the slide between the thumb & forefinger, then pulling back on the slide, try the 'hand over the slide' method.

Hold your support hand over the top of the slide. Grasp it with as many fingers possible, without covering the ejection port, against the heel of your hand. his gives you a little better gripping power. Then, with the strong hand grasping the grips as with a shooting grip, hold the slide steady & push the strong hand foward. Or you can try both a rearward pull on the slide at the same time push forward with the strong hand.

This can be done with the pistol held up close to the body, using stronger muscles. Can even hold up close to chest & utilize shoulder muscles, if needed. Just be sure you are turned so that muzzle always points in a safe direction.