german luger 9mm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > german luger 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default german luger 9mm

sig-luger.jpg

my mother inherited this luger from her father. he was not in the war as he got it from his uncle. not much is known about it. i doubt it has any permit or anything attached to it. anyone in my family who would know has passed on. this will be mine someday when its my moms turn to go. basically im asking all you guys anything you know about lugers and the law regarding inheriting firearms and just what the fuzz would do with it. i will bury it before i see a cop take it. also is the 50 year old ammo with it still good?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #2

the other pistol is my sig p6 i got a few weeks back.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #3

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The ammo should still be good if it has been stored in a well sealed container; although, they most definitely need to be inspected extremely thoroughly, and personally I just probably wouldn't use them.

I'll leave the legal issues to someone else who would know more about it, but in my state, I don't think there would be any problems, especially seeing as how I'm pretty sure it was brought back long before a lot of the dumb bass laws regarding such things were instated.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

Luger? What Luger?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Luger? What Luger?
Nice!!!

There are provisions for family transfers. If you live in a State or Commonwealth that you need to register every firearm separately, do so. Your Mom got it from your grandfather, she was given it in the will I would guess. She can then give it to you, no paperwork required. I can send my brother in Fla. any firearm I want as we are both in free states.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:52 AM   #6

Liked 77 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default gutz47, check on line...

Look up your state's firearms registration and ownership laws on the state website.

Shouldn't be too hard. Inheriting a Luger is worth a bit of digging. Even some paperwork if it comes to that.

Military ammunition, stored even nominally dry and more or less uniform temperature will last dang near forever. Commercial ammunition is about the same. Unless it's been stored in standing water, it should be okay.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It would help getting info on the pistol if you posted the markings. Post ONLY first 2 digits of serial #!!! There will be a year of manufacture and the factory name (like DWM, Erfurt, etc) Some will have a number instead of the factory name. Anything with it besides the ammo? Holster, extra mag, paperwork etc? What are the markings on the ammo box, if any? What markings/lettering are on the cartridge caseheads?
There is a lot of info out there on the various Parabellum pistols, and the fact that it has been in your family for several generations adds to the interest. The laws concerning it will depend on the laws in your State. Some have serious registration/licensing and others do not. While Germany did field the Parabellum in ww2, production was halted in favor of the more modern P38.
In ww1 and the years between the wars it was THE German pistol. The ammunition is PROBABLY CORROSIVE and the barrel must be swabbed out and oiled after firing to prevent corrosive salts from eating the barrel. This wouldnt be the case with modern store-bought ammo. In any event a "Luger" Parabellum is a valuable pistol these days, commanding some pricey sums.
A nice family heirloom, and probably a good shooter too.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8926 Times on 3867 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

DUDE! We got members from all 50 states, a couple of the territories, possessions and commonwealths, a bunch of countries OTHER than the US- and you want advice????

WHERE THE BLEEEEEEP ARE YOU ?????

Gun laws vary dramatically from one place to another. My frickin' crystal ball is back in the shop for a front end alignment. You did not tell us where you reside, and it is not in your public profile.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
DUDE! We got members from all 50 states, a couple of the territories, possessions and commonwealths, a bunch of countries OTHER than the US- and you want advice????

WHERE THE BLEEEEEEP ARE YOU ?????

Gun laws vary dramatically from one place to another. My frickin' crystal ball is back in the shop for a front end alignment. You did not tell us where you reside, and it is not in your public profile.
I'm up here in the mitten(michigan)

Old 11-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #10

Liked 2512 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 1956

Shoot the ammo, it's fine.