Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   german luger 9mm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/german-luger-9mm-51786/)

gutz47 11-14-2011 05:27 PM

german luger 9mm

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 35026

my mother inherited this luger from her father. he was not in the war as he got it from his uncle. not much is known about it. i doubt it has any permit or anything attached to it. anyone in my family who would know has passed on. this will be mine someday when its my moms turn to go. basically im asking all you guys anything you know about lugers and the law regarding inheriting firearms and just what the fuzz would do with it. i will bury it before i see a cop take it. also is the 50 year old ammo with it still good?:confused:

gutz47 11-14-2011 05:28 PM

the other pistol is my sig p6 i got a few weeks back.

trip286 11-14-2011 05:38 PM

The ammo should still be good if it has been stored in a well sealed container; although, they most definitely need to be inspected extremely thoroughly, and personally I just probably wouldn't use them.

I'll leave the legal issues to someone else who would know more about it, but in my state, I don't think there would be any problems, especially seeing as how I'm pretty sure it was brought back long before a lot of the dumb bass laws regarding such things were instated.

danf_fl 11-14-2011 08:53 PM

Luger? What Luger?

jpattersonnh 11-14-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 627718)
Luger? What Luger?

Nice!!!

There are provisions for family transfers. If you live in a State or Commonwealth that you need to register every firearm separately, do so. Your Mom got it from your grandfather, she was given it in the will I would guess. She can then give it to you, no paperwork required. I can send my brother in Fla. any firearm I want as we are both in free states.

OldManMontgomery 11-15-2011 03:52 AM

gutz47, check on line...

Look up your state's firearms registration and ownership laws on the state website.

Shouldn't be too hard. Inheriting a Luger is worth a bit of digging. Even some paperwork if it comes to that.

Military ammunition, stored even nominally dry and more or less uniform temperature will last dang near forever. Commercial ammunition is about the same. Unless it's been stored in standing water, it should be okay.

DunRanull 11-18-2011 08:54 AM

It would help getting info on the pistol if you posted the markings. Post ONLY first 2 digits of serial #!!! There will be a year of manufacture and the factory name (like DWM, Erfurt, etc) Some will have a number instead of the factory name. Anything with it besides the ammo? Holster, extra mag, paperwork etc? What are the markings on the ammo box, if any? What markings/lettering are on the cartridge caseheads?
There is a lot of info out there on the various Parabellum pistols, and the fact that it has been in your family for several generations adds to the interest. The laws concerning it will depend on the laws in your State. Some have serious registration/licensing and others do not. While Germany did field the Parabellum in ww2, production was halted in favor of the more modern P38.
In ww1 and the years between the wars it was THE German pistol. The ammunition is PROBABLY CORROSIVE and the barrel must be swabbed out and oiled after firing to prevent corrosive salts from eating the barrel. This wouldnt be the case with modern store-bought ammo. In any event a "Luger" Parabellum is a valuable pistol these days, commanding some pricey sums.
A nice family heirloom, and probably a good shooter too.

c3shooter 11-18-2011 11:14 AM

DUDE! We got members from all 50 states, a couple of the territories, possessions and commonwealths, a bunch of countries OTHER than the US- and you want advice????

WHERE THE BLEEEEEEP ARE YOU ?????

Gun laws vary dramatically from one place to another. My frickin' crystal ball is back in the shop for a front end alignment. You did not tell us where you reside, and it is not in your public profile.

gutz47 11-18-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
DUDE! We got members from all 50 states, a couple of the territories, possessions and commonwealths, a bunch of countries OTHER than the US- and you want advice????

WHERE THE BLEEEEEEP ARE YOU ?????

Gun laws vary dramatically from one place to another. My frickin' crystal ball is back in the shop for a front end alignment. You did not tell us where you reside, and it is not in your public profile.

I'm up here in the mitten(michigan)

therewolf 11-18-2011 07:30 PM

Shoot the ammo, it's fine.