Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   general information (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/general-information-55240/)

Starrett 01-11-2012 03:29 AM

general information

New to the gun world I'm Tina looking to learn a thing or two. I got my first pistol a year ago about the time my son was born for protection. After going to the range I learned I'm not half bad. Now I'm more interested than ever and can't wait to buy and collect as many as I can : ).

Starrett 01-11-2012 03:36 AM

I have a .40 s&w sigma and love it just a bit more kick than I'd like but will do its job. Not looking to unload it anyway but can and will with a smile.

JonM 01-11-2012 03:39 AM

a decent 22lr pistol is a good next gun. cheap pistol practice. no collection is complete without 1 or more!!

Paladin201 01-11-2012 04:09 AM

Agreed. A good 22 pistol is a must have. I shoot more 22's than the rest put together. Lot's of fun, and easy on the pocket book. There are a number of good 22's out there, but my favorite is the Browning Buckmark. I have the Camper model. Most accurate and reliable 22 I've ever owned. Not to mention, it has an excellent grip and it's a track driver.

tomingreeneco 01-11-2012 04:58 AM

Now that you caught the gun bug look into Cowboy Action Shooting (SASS-Home of Cowboy Action Shooting) Lots of fun and families are always welcome. You will meet a lot of nice people.

winds-of-change 01-11-2012 05:29 AM

What kind of pistol do you currently have?

Starrett 01-11-2012 11:24 AM

I currently have a 40 s&w sigma and I love it but my husband uses it more than I do. I have small hands but I'm strong enough to shot it. I just want more of that perfect fit but still can protect my family. I need a more multi purpose gun. Fun and strong

danf_fl 01-11-2012 11:49 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Have you considered a revolver? The .357 Magnum is potent enough for self defense, and .38 Special ammo can be shot from the same revolver with less recoil for plinking.

Starrett 01-11-2012 01:18 PM

I'm not to into revolvers. I don't want to have to reload all the time

trip286 01-11-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starrett
I'm not to into revolvers. I don't want to have to reload all the time

Not trying to be smart here, but I'm a revolver shooter, and in a self defense situation if you hit what your aiming at, you wont have to reload.

It can be a little bothersome at the range, but the range is a time to relax and work on marksmanship, or speed up and practice with speed loaders, nullifying both arguments.

Don't knock the revolver based on capacity, it was good enough for troops and police, and for over 100 years in the case of police. The 1911 came along with only a 7+ 1 capacity, which isn't a very high number to brag about, and that one is still in service with some units meaning 100 years on the front lines and still serving.

Still, if you just don't like revolvers, that's your choice, I'm just pointing out that I don't think that's a valid reason. In my humble opinion.