Fully loaded magazine? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Fully loaded magazine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 03:04 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Having a 17 round magazine for my Glock obviously gives me more firepower than a 10 round one.

However, I have heard that keeping the magazine fully loaded at all times can weaken the spring. Supposedly, this will eventually lead to a gun jam or some other negative consequence. Most likely at the worst possible time.

Does anyone here have any real experience with this? Is it a real problem? Any recommendations?
It really depends upon how many shots you want before having to reload. Or not. The force required to depress the first round into any magazine is about 1/8 of what is required to slip that same round into the path of the bolt.
If a magazine spring fails, it surely isn't because it was compressed for too long, it's because the weapons designer/artificer is inept.
Fill 'em up boys!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:13 AM   #32

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
If a magazine spring fails, it surely isn't because it was compressed for too long, it's because the weapons designer/artificer is inept.
Fill 'em up boys!
You're right...metal fatigue is a false science...and springs don't get weaker when they stay compressed...and for SURE if a mag spring fails, it isn't from being compressed for too long...in fact it's probably because it was not compressed enough for a long enough period of time...or the gun designer is a moron...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by godbani mootez View Post
a friend if mine is a cop and he toled me that the weapon may even backfire if the magazine is cmpletely full.
Hey, godbani mootez, I've been looking for a new sig line. Would it be alright if I were to use your post as my new sig line?

(I mean I really like it!)

Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I prefer the 75 watt laser guided plasma antiproton flak cannon. You get very good red mist action with a centermass shot, you can even cause flips if you get a good head shot.
I also heard it was good for heating up a cup of coffee on a cold winter's day.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #35

OK, I'd like to add my two cents: I don't known nothing about metalurgy; ain't got no rocket scientists in the family either; and, the very last thing I would take at face value is something that someone at the Glock factory told me. (Jeeze, talk about being naive!)

1. Will a fully compressed magazine spring fatigue or wear out?

I don't know; but, one of my uncles who served in the Pacific Theater during WWII told me that the Marines used to download their 1911 magazines by 2 rounds in order to guarantee function in all the mud and sand.

I CAN tell you this, though: A fully compressed magazine spring will definitely take a set; and it will, also, compact.

2. Will keeping a magazine fully compressed for an extended period of time wear it out or cause it to malfunction?

Generally speaking, I don't think so. I have magazines that were kept fully compressed for more than 10 years; and, they still work. On the other hand I, also, have magazines that have been fully compressed for brief periods of time - like a year, or so - that have suddenly started to produce failures-to-feed.

There are just so many variables! I think the quality of the metal is a common one. Some springs just seem to be, 'softer' and will wear out a lot faster than others. I, also, think the diameter of the wire is another variable that figures into the problem.

So after 50, some odd, years of using magazines, (and arguing about them) I've decided to play it safe rather than have to worry about being sorry. Nowadays, I download my carry pistol and tac rifle magazines by one round. I keep my other weapons that are stored in C-3 exactly the same way. Good thing, too, because I've already experienced FTF's in stored and fully compressed AK and AR magazines.

Neither do I, ever, load a weapon to full magazine capacity - plus one in the chamber. All charged up I could carry as many as 31 rounds of ammo for my high capacity pistol. Instead, I carry 28 rounds. I mean, come on, in the old days that would have been a loaded pistol AND 3 extra magazines on my belt! Today, I don't consider 28 rounds in two magazines to be any kind of disadvantage - not in a running gunfight, nor against a barricade.

So far, (like 10 years) I have yet to have a problem doing things this way. I, also, never unload my carry magazines at night, and only periodically bother to swap out a carry magazine for another one.

Another thing I do is to periodically (like every 3 years) replace my existing magazine springs with brand new ones from Wolff Gunsprings. If you use your semiauto a lot, you can usually tell when the springs are starting to get tired. Yes, frequent compression and decompression definitely wears magazine springs out faster; however, full compression for extended periods of time compacts springs, causes them to take a set, and fatigues the spring wire - too.

This is always a cranky subject! So, that's my opinion based on how my own guns have behaved during the past 50 + years. I ain't the one standing behind your gun. Your milage may vary; and, nobody has to agree.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:11 AM   #36

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

G21.45 - I agree with your post. The original question was "do you, or don't you?" I don't because of the metal fatigue issue. I too never load my carry weapons' mag to capacity - and mine only holds 8 rds. If I need more than that I am in way over my head! Like I said earlier, I don't much care what other people do or if they believe in metal fatigue or springs taking a set - I do, and that's all that matters to me.. I've had springs fail, so I do whatever I can to prevent that. Many of my guns are too old to find springs for, and there's no guarantee that they would be any better if I could find them, especially if they are used, and used by people that don't believe in metal fatigue! I am not saying that every spring will fail, all I am saying is that as long as the possibility even exists, I will avoid unnecessary compression. My favorite carry gun is an FEG clone of a PPK - I wouldn't even begin to guess where I could find a spring for that, except in Hungary...

Old 05-31-2008, 12:54 AM   #37

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Fully Loaded magazines?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Fully Loaded mags? YUP, I fill'em up to the top, but, then, on a regular basis, I download and or fire them empty? I've never had a FTF! I see regular mantenance and use as Normal and what one does if he wants the weapon to keep working 100%? Would they fail if left that way? I bought a few mags (1911A1) and Luger, BOTH HAD BEN LOADED BY SAME OWNER, 35 years before, all worked 100%!

Old 05-31-2008, 01:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
.... My favorite carry gun is an FEG clone of a PPK - I wouldn't even begin to guess where I could find a spring for that, except in Hungary...
Maybe HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
.... I bought a few mags (1911A1) and Luger, BOTH HAD BEN LOADED BY SAME OWNER, 35 years before, all worked 100%!
Right! And the both of them were originally made of the finest steel available at the time of their manufacture; AND, if anything, they were overbuilt. That was then; this is now; and, today's magazines are not necessarily as robust.

I know for a fact that Glock uses a number of different, outside contract, spring suppliers. Within the same Glock model the same springs can be different colors, different lengths, and different tensile strength. I've noticed the same thing in AK and AR magazines, too. Nowadays there's very little consistency in magazine springs.

In my old age I've, pretty much, settled on using and carrying Glock pistols. First thing I did with both of my new G-21's was to replace every single one of the factory springs with consistent, uniform, and reliable Wolff Gunsprings.

Yes, the factory springs all worked; but, you should see what an interesting variety of factory springs I took out in the process: different metals, different finishes, different lengths, and different colors. As far as I could see, none of them were as well made as the hard, lacquered, and uniform Wolff springs they were replaced with!

Do I believe that old 1911 and Luger magazine could remain fully loaded for 35 years and still work? Yes, I do. Would I want to try the same thing with many of today's magazines? No, I would not. (But, it don't really matter because in another 35 years I ain't going to be here, anyway!)

Last edited by G21.45; 05-31-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #39

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info G21.45! That's a neat site and I never knew you could get stronger rated springs! They don't have the spring for my FEG however. I have the PMK380. The spring for the PA63 may be the right size though since the 9mm and .380 ar roughly the same size?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:08 PM   #40

I have been told that the fatigue of the spring can be corrected by simply keeping one less that a full load in the mag. This came from a gunsmith and a retired police officer. Your thoughts?