Fully loaded magazine? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Fully loaded magazine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 03:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock View Post
No, actually the term I was looking for, and used, is hammer spring.

Maybe that's the term YOU were looking for, but the correct term is "MAINSPRING" - look it up.I suggest the NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly...

Also, the original post was something about magazine springs .
I know, but someone also mentioned leaving their guns cocked, since a spring is a spring is a spring, I thought I would expound...
Next thing, in a Winchester 94, or any other gun fired by a free swinging hammer, a weak firing pin spring would not prevent a firing. Something about inertia carrying the firing pin forward after the impact from the hammer,,, that's what causes the gun to fire (that's what my brain surgeon brother told me).
First, my Mossberg is a semi-automatic .22, not a hammer fired gun...Second, a Winchester 94 doesn't have a firing pin spring..you can look that up also. The hammer directly impinges (that means "hits") on the "firing pin striker", which in turn hits the "firing pin" I would explain the safety mechanism to you also, but I'll let your brother do that for you. But my advice is don't ask Brain Surgeons about things mechanical...
Oh, "denatured" is not the word most people would use.
What can I say? I'm not "most" people... I'm 'my own person'
Metal fatigue would be a better fit, at least that's what all my friends that work for NASA and the JPL say .
WHAT A COINCIDENCE! My Dad was awarded NASA's Lifetime Achievement Award in 1999 for 65 US Patents and 40 years of work in the AeroSpace industry- check him out in The Marquis Publication "Who's Who in America" and "Engineer's of Distinction" - His name was Joseph A. LaRussa - he might even have known your friends - that is unless they worked in maintenance...
One last thing RL, see my signature .
Hey Flint...I did...and that's the first thing you've posted that I completely agree with!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-26-2008 at 03:43 AM.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I have kept the stock mag for my kimber loaded from day one. The last time I rotated the ammo There was no problem with it.

I think the springs of today can handel more than the springs of many years ago.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I have kept the stock mag for my kimber loaded from day one. The last time I rotated the ammo There was no problem with it.

I think the springs of today can handel more than the springs of many years ago.

That may very well be, and I support your right to do that, but I will err on the side of caution since metal fatigue is a given. I am the type of person that cleans an oils his guns after every use. If I don't use them I will take them out and oil them once a year so they don't start to rust. Just personal preferrence, and respect for my investment. On a separate not, this discussion has devolved into personal attacks that are baseless given the fact that metal fatigue in spring steel, and any metal for that fact, has been a well known fact for over a century. The question was whether to keep a mag loaded or not. I don't for the reasons I cited - I am not "telling" anyone to do anything - just stating a fact...if for some strange reason anyone finds that offensive, they can stick their fully-loaded magazines up their pompous ass.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-26-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #14

Ok guys, while in Glock amorer school, my insructor gave a great example of why the springs don't wear out quickly while supporting a fully loaded magazine. He said the springs responsible for holding your car or truck up are constantly under tension from the weight of your automobile. And you don't have to jack up your vehicle periodically to let those springs rest. I understand opinions are different, but that's the way I look at it.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The real argument here ( and this makes no sense to me) is that you seem to be doubting or questioning the laws of metalurgy. I already stated that I have a Mossberg that was left cocked for over a year and now needs a new firing pin spring because of this mind-boggling phenomenom known as "metal fatigue"...say what you want, it won't fix my spring..
Maybe you remember the little wind-up toy cars from years gone by. Wasn't it annoying when eventually they wouldn't go as far or as fast because the coil spring began to wear, and ultimately, even after you wound it all the way up it would only go a few feet...different spring, I know, but same principle.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-26-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorst294 View Post
Ok guys, while in Glock amorer school, my insructor gave a great example of why the springs don't wear out quickly while supporting a fully loaded magazine. He said the springs responsible for holding your car or truck up are constantly under tension from the weight of your automobile. And you don't have to jack up your vehicle periodically to let those springs rest. I understand opinions are different, but that's the way I look at it.
They may not wear out "quickly", but they will wear. You obviously have never replaced the spings in your car. I have. The car was a 1970 Pontiac Tempest and the ride was so sloppy that even spring-assisted shock absorbers didn't help anymore, so I had to replace the front coil springs - where the weight of the engine caused them to take a "set" over time. Then I had to replace the rear coils so the car didn't look like it was taking-off...maybe if Pontiac had used Glock springs this wouldn't have happened..lol....the comparison I made earlier was of someone smoking for 40 years with no ill effects - does that mean smoking doesn't cause lung cancer?

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-26-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #17

RL357, I completely understand your argument. Metal springs will wear with time. I modify 4x4's in my spare time and have seen springs sag over the years. But, it usually tends to take 20 to 30 years for this to happen. I'll replace my Glock mags in another 16 years or so to keep this from happening! LOL. It might also depend on the quality of springs. I can only assume cheap springs would wear quicker than higher quality springs.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorst294 View Post
RL357, I completely understand your argument. Metal springs will wear with time. I modify 4x4's in my spare time and have seen springs sag over the years. But, it usually tends to take 20 to 30 years for this to happen. I'll replace my Glock mags in another 16 years or so to keep this from happening! LOL. It might also depend on the quality of springs. I can only assume cheap springs would wear quicker than higher quality springs.
Agreed.. and on a car there are many factors that determine spring wear and rates of wear, my Pontiac was close to bottoming-out over bumps after only 12 - 15 years, but since I don't have the ability to analyze my springs I will continue to unload my mags and make sure I don't store my weapons in the "cocked" condition. Everyone else can do whatever suits them.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-26-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #19

Default warning

a friend if mine is a cop and he toled me that the weapon may even backfire if the magazine is cmpletely full.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:24 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I guess that ends this discussion...lol