Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Front Sight Post Color Preference.

View Poll Results: [SIZE="3"]Which color do you prefer as your high visibility and/or night sight?
Green 17 53.13%
Yellow 1 3.13%
Red or Orange 5 15.63%
Other. . . do tell. 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37 View Post
If there is enough light to identify the target, then there is enough light for the proper sight picture to cast a shadow onto your eye. It might even be light enough you will not even see the night sights. A different crutch might be needed in that case to fumble sights onto target if you haven't practiced enough that your pistol indexes proper for you. No gadget can replace proper training.

dan_fl

I am chill. I was curious what liability he is talking about .

Let me answer that for you G37....

First, I would have asked a few questions before I jumped on that bandwagon about needing a “crutch” or being a “Ninja” or even an inflection that someone might not know what they were talking about.

Just a little background on Glasshartt, she has been a Law Enforcement officer for over 28 years and has handled weapons her whole life. The “liability” she talks about is specific to police officers as we are many times placed in positions where we are forced to use our weapons and most of the time Murphy’s law is interjected (if you don’t’ know what Murphy’s law is let me know and I will tell you).

Glass would never shoot if she was not able to identify her target but having night sights at night with reduced lighting is just common sense to a LEO. I also was raised without night sights but I tried to use each and every advancement in weapons and equipment I could to make my job easier and keep me alive a little longer, Glass is the same way. Just because it was not around when you were growing up does not mean it is not a valuable tool.

I don’t know you from Adam but from your post you seem narrow minded and quick to criticize.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
If there is enough light to identify the target, then there is enough light for the proper sight picture to cast a shadow onto your eye. It might even be light enough you will not even see the night sights. A different crutch might be needed in that case to fumble sights onto target if you haven't practiced enough that your pistol indexes proper for you. No gadget can replace proper training.

dan_fl

I am chill. I was curious what liability he is talking about .
First of all, apparently you cannot read. I am not a he, I am a she.

Second of all, apparently you do not have any concept of real world tactical deployment, apparently you are a REMF. A law enforcement officer does not have the ability, for the most part, to pick and choose when, or where they have to deploy their weapons. And, when they do, they must use any available cover to the best of their advantage. Night sights are not a crutch, they are one of the may available tools that an officer can use to ensure that the bad guy is the only one that gets taken out.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 09-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

I like blue.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:53 AM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Sitting in your lazy boy at home aiming at the TV doesn't do a dam thing for you when the SHTF.

G37 I really don't think you know just who you are talking to here. I would advise you to be a tad more respectful to Glass.

You could blindfold her and spin her till she was dizzy and I still wouldn't want here shooting at me.

She is a supporting member here and she is a long time LEO with a lot of experience in a very bad part of the country.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

G37, you've only been here about two weeks. Why don't you just hang out for a while and get to know the good folks here before you piss them off?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-09-2010, 02:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Before you state what is apparent, maybe you should ask.

Maybe I should say something like apparently you have never been in an active shoot where sighting aids made lethal delivery of well aimed fire possible. Not only once, but twice. With a twist that the persons in your sights were not badguys and actualy on your team.

I never assumed your level of skill or experience.

So you are a cop and I have spent two years on "tactical" deployments. My first year was not fun. My shortest outside the wire (that means I was not a REMF) mission was 48 hours. That means atleast one full night and 95% of what we did was at night. I learned more than a few things about being able to shoot and not knowing who the 'targets' downrange might have been.

It would have been easier to just answer the question of what the liability is. I would be more concerned with someone taking a shot in the dark because they have night sights that make it easy to see the sights.

I have more than a few friends that are police officers. Not all of them use night sights (gasps) But every last one of them carries a very bright light. A target with enough light on it will cause your sights to cast enough shadow into your eyes so the sights can be used.

I am not speaking out my butt. I tell you this because I have done it. In training, in practice and in real life.

REMF, made me laugh

Crutches help people who have troubles walking. Night sights help people who have troubles shooting. No two ways around it. My pistols of choice index like I am pointing my finger, dark or not. The light identifies and confirms sight alignment. One does not even need to shoot alot to get a pistol to index proper for them. Dry practice at home will fix it. It will take time but the time you spend will build muscle memory and increase accuracy better than any sighting aid ever will.

Well.. well... son, so you have spent a little time "outside the wire" as you put it. Being in the military is one thing being a LEO is something else. Your rules of engagement are completely different and are valid for one thing and one thing only..Combat. Many of the members of this forum have extensive experience in that tactical area and they understand that there is no one way to do something. You may expound to your heart’s desire on how point shooting is the way to go..BUT.. if you point your finger at someone and tell them they need a crutch or they are a “ninja” because they feel differently about something you’re just showing that you feel it is your way or no way. You should learn a little humility and realize your way is not the only way.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 AM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

I changed my mind, I like Green.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:01 AM   #18

Diggs,

My apologies for the direction this thread has taken as it has gone off kilter. To get the thread back on track I will say I like green on my sights as it seems I am able to pick that color up quicker than other types.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #19

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I voted green as well.

I like green because it green.

G37 needs some GLOW-ON. It might make him a little BRIGHTER than he is now.

More dangerous that El Paso you have never been there have you? You couldn't pay me enough to live there let alone be an LEO down there. I spent a few week there a while ago and you could watch the people climbing the fence. You could hear gun fire day and night. One of my MWD's went to El Paso for 2 weeks and busted over $20 million in drugs.

anyways back on topic.

I have one gun with sights that are colored white. I don't like them.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #20
Resident JackHole

Liked 290 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I have never used night sights so as of right now, I have no preference.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.