Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A friend of mine is looking into a 9mm....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4682 Times on 2265 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Default Sig

Given his list I'd say Sig...

Had a 226 .40 for 8 years with no problems, accurate, reliable, and NOT TUPPERWARE...

He'll pay a bit more for it but with guns, you truly do get what you pay for. I've personally not yet found a polymer gun with a factory trigger I thought was decent.

If he likes poly I'd suggest he ad the Springfield XDM 9mm to his list. They run between 5 and 550 new and are as good or better than anything on his list, except the trigger, Sig still wins that one.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've yet to see anyone go wrong with a Sig. Out of the listed weapons they all are pretty good and would do a good job. Your guy look at the FNP pistols? They are pretty economical and are pretty good shooters. I fell into a Browning Pro 40 (Same as FNP) a while back. For a poly gun it's pretty nice. At least it has a hammer. Striker fired weapons just never did it for me.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Our local rental range according to him (I don't shoot there) charges $25 per gun to rent. Plus you have to buy their ammo at $35 a box of 20. If he rented every gun on his list and put a box through each he would end up spending about $240 before tax. That's pretty steep especially if he can eliminate a couple because someone here might have some better advice than I can offer.

Thanks
Darin
What??!?! Thats outrageous. Here, I can go to a range, pay $20 to get in, and for $10 I can rent ANY gun they have for rent. That means I pay $10 for one gun, when I shoot to my hearts desire (at about $20 for a box of 50 for 9mm's) I go back and get a different gun for free (since I already paid the $10). $30 initial fee total, plus ammo.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #14

I'm in Pa. The only indoor range that I know of around here is set up to sell "memberships". If you aren't a member the cost to rent a lane, gun, and buy three or four boxes of their ammo (required to buy their ammo) would be well over $100. Closer to $200.
Cost of a year membership is a minimum of $140.
That is expensive to me.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #15

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobpissypants View Post
I'm in Pa. The only indoor range that I know of around here is set up to sell "memberships". If you aren't a member the cost to rent a lane, gun, and buy three or four boxes of their ammo (required to buy their ammo) would be well over $100. Closer to $200.
Cost of a year membership is a minimum of $140.
That is expensive to me.
Same thing here and not to mention the guys that work there are all mall ninjas. They strut around with tac holster and load vests.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-16-2010, 03:44 AM   #16

the P229 i have but in the .40 cal version. love the gun to death, i would assume the 9mm is no different in any way!

tho i hafta add, the 9mm i have is a Beretta PX4 Storm. LOVE LOVE LOVE this gun! im a bit of a big wide guy with paws for hands, the P229 while a good shooter, my pinky finger kinda over hangs and can throw me off. the PX4 fits my hand PERFECTLY! and while i know im not that great with a hand gun, and need alot more practice, the PX4 i was definatly the most accurate with. and Beretta's are some very very nice guns. i paid $600 (plus tax) for my PX4, about $80 less then my P229. so just throwing that out there for him too look at.

As for his list, only other one ive shot was the Glock, and i just never felt comfortable with the Glock.... could be just me, never heard anything bad from others, but i just never liked em too much.... the rest i havent used, but i know they good brands.

Edit: PX4 Storm is a 17 +1 magazine, i meant to mention that too if it means anything to him.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 AM   #17

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks Jugg, that's vote #22,400,001 for the Sig. You experience sheds some good light on the Sig. He is my size 6'01" 230lbs and I have pretty big hands. So that is pertinent. I know he said all of them fit his hand well, but he did not tell me whether or not he leaned toward one over the other.

He did say he was more considerate of the HK, but I think that is for the same reasons why I would. Their reputation, however Sigs preceeds them as well.

Thanks

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #18

NP, i do try to help when i can. and another note on the SIG, a Chicago Cop friend of mine, he had to work the academy in the shooting range for a while (had a shoot out with gang bangers, he killed them both.. super awesome story on his part, i may share), and he had a SIG. I think it was a P226... im prolly wrong.... but he wanted to get his to jam, so he shot couple hundred rounds a day through his and never cleaned it till it jammed.... when he told me this he was at about 2 months and still no malfunction whatsoever. so yeah SIG's are pretty bad ass! lol but still refer your friend to the Beretta PX4 Storm as well, i love that gun sooo much... it just fits me like a glove, i really think he needs to atleast give it a hold and aim!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #19

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Jimbob and Wambli, I can always count on your responses being honest and imformative. I always appreciate reading your guys insight and advice. You do contribute a lot, thanks.

On a side note I feel you both should become supporting members.

Darin
Thanks for your kind words Darin. I'm considering it.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #20

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned all of them on the list - and they are all fine guns. If money is a factor, make sure you look at the S&W 99 as well. These are practically identical with the Walther version and are usually available cheaper. I passed mine down to my son - and it's his favorite pistol...