A friend of mine is looking into a 9mm....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A friend of mine is looking into a 9mm....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default A friend of mine is looking into a 9mm....

A friend of mine is looking into a 9 mm and is asking me for advice. I have no idea, but I told him I would look into it.

He is trying to decide between:
Sig P229
HK USP 9
M&P 9
Walther P99

I told him I don't own any of those brands and have no idea where to direct him. He also asked what the difference is with most of the Sig's model numbers (i.e. 220 series) and again I told him I have no idea.

Can you guys help me narrow this down or give me some pointers on these brands. I guess he has held all of them and really likes them all. I've never held the sig or the smith.

Thanks
Darin

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #2

those are all fine guns in my opinion. is there a budget he has in mind? because i know were talking around 300 more between the M&P and the Sig. I shot the Sig before and it was just a great smooth shooting gun. that is the only one i have personal experience with. If anything there are some ranges, atleast locally (michigan) that will allow you to rent these guns and shoot them, then if you decide to purchase a gun from them, they will take what you paid for renting the guns off the price of the gun. has your buddy held each one? that is a big decision maker in my opinion, being able to pick a gun up and fix yourself right on the sights quickly is something i use when choosing a gun. just some things to think about..

Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #3

sorry i just read that he held them all... the next thing you can do is rent each one and fire enough rounds to make an honest opinion for his own.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #4

I advised him to do that, however what he was wanting to know was if each of those models has a particular downfall that would allow him to eliminate one or more from the list. So that way he doesn't have to rent them all.

Our local rental range according to him (I don't shoot there) charges $25 per gun to rent. Plus you have to buy their ammo at $35 a box of 20. If he rented every gun on his list and put a box through each he would end up spending about $240 before tax. That's pretty steep especially if he can eliminate a couple because someone here might have some better advice than I can offer.

Thanks
Darin

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
A friend of mine is looking into a 9 mm and is asking me for advice. I have no idea, but I told him I would look into it.

He is trying to decide between:
Sig P229
HK USP 9
M&P 9
Walther P99

I told him I don't own any of those brands and have no idea where to direct him. He also asked what the difference is with most of the Sig's model numbers (i.e. 220 series) and again I told him I have no idea.

Can you guys help me narrow this down or give me some pointers on these brands. I guess he has held all of them and really likes them all. I've never held the sig or the smith.

Thanks
Darin
All of them fine guns and should serve him well. His decision to buy one of those should be based on whichever fit his hand better and really nothing else.

The difference in SIG model numbers are based on frame size and caliber. The 220 is a large frame .45acp singlke stack gun.
232 is a small frame single stack .380
225 is a medium frame single stack 9mm
239 is a medium frame single stack 9mm. 357Sig or .40S&W
226 is a large frame double stack 9mm.
and so on... There are also trigger system designations like DAK etc to watch out for.

My favorite of the guns he listed is the H&K with the LEM trigger system. He should also look at the H&K P2000 with the LEM trigger system. Very similar to the USP but with the swapable backstraps it is easier to fit to your hand.

SIGs are OUTSTANDING firearms. There are only 3 handguns that I trust enough to take right out of the box and go to a fight with without even testing them (not that I would ever do/recommend that but if I HAD TO), H&K, Glock and SIG.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #6

I currently own 3 sigs. I don't have a negative thing to say about them. My opinion is, if he can buy a used sig, they will retain their value, and be a fine handgun. This is personal experience.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 03-13-2010, 06:11 AM   #7

Jimbob and Wambli, I can always count on your responses being honest and imformative. I always appreciate reading your guys insight and advice. You do contribute a lot, thanks.

On a side note I feel you both should become supporting members.

Darin

Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-14-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Much depends on his planned use for the pistol (target shoot, home defense, or concealed carry). All are pretty decent, I would pass on the Walther but that is a personal choice. I carry a M&P in 45 and have done so for three + years and found it to be a dependable, easy to care for and a excelent shooter. The exchangable back straps make it easy to fit to your hand. I don't care so much for the compact M&P 9mm, I had one and there just wasn't enough grip to fit my meat hooks. My daughter now has it and she likes it a lot better the the Glock 27 she use to have.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Much depends on his planned use for the pistol (target shoot, home defense, or concealed carry). All are pretty decent, I would pass on the Walther but that is a personal choice. I carry a M&P in 45 and have done so for three + years and found it to be a dependable, easy to care for and a excelent shooter. The exchangable back straps make it easy to fit to your hand. I don't care so much for the compact M&P 9mm, I had one and there just wasn't enough grip to fit my meat hooks. My daughter now has it and she likes it a lot better the the Glock 27 she use to have.
His reason is just a fun gun. Something to go to that range and blow off rounds without feeling guilty. He already has a CCW so I don't think he will be carrying it. From what I am getting he is looking for something in the 4" flavor and is leaning slightly more toward the HK.

I think he was looking to me for the "stay away from X because of ...." Unfortunately, I don't have any experience of any value. Hell up until a month ago I was a Glock "fanboy" until I posted some questions and was quickly corrected. Now I complain about others doing the same things that I used to do.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Sig P229
HK USP 9
M&P 9
Walther P99
I have a Sig P226 and a CZ75. Both in 9mm. Both are very reliable and also very accurate guns.

What I would do is, ask around, if any of your friend owns any of the preferred weapons and ask if your friend can testfire them at the range. That is what we do here iin germany, since it is hard to rent guns here.

Advantage on some of the newer gins is, that you have interchangable grip parts, so you can fit the gun to nearly any size of hand (the P99 has that option).
I personally don`t like guns, that don`t have a hammer, because it very often makes the trigger work harder. But that is something you just have to try.

All guns are very good firearms and all eare of very good quality.

Personally I am missing the CZ75 in there.