Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Frequency of cleaning

View Poll Results: Frequency of hand gun cleaning
After every firing session 47 88.68%
After every 1000 rounds or so 4 7.55%
About once a year 1 1.89%
If and when operation becomes erratic 1 1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 03:48 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

We were taught to clean our handguns after every 100 rounds or so. Since we are shooting at least that amount during most trips to the range, our guns end up being cleaned after every time we shoot them.

As Ineffable said, it's also a chance to become more familiar with your weapon, and practice safe handling skills. As a noob, I see that as an added benefit.

Dave

Old 02-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #12
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always clean my firearms after shooting, they may not need it but logic tells me a cleaned and oiled firearm has less chance to jam or misfire. So the few minutes to clean is worth the time if I'm counting on that firearm to save me if I need it. Also it's a good chance to inspect your firearm for wear or damage.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #13

Likes Given: 1

I always clean after each session mainly since I don't know when I will use a parcticular gun again. There best kept clean, oiled, and ready for use. Besides most range sessions consist of surplus guns and ammo which due to corrosive components require immediate cleaning anyway. So since I've gotta get dirty, I might as well clean everything.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
cbw

Gotta keep a clean machine, I don't care what some say, after shooting it I ALWAYS find grime. Break in apart, put her together, run some dummies, pipe a fresh real one in.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I clean my firearms after every range session. The revolvers get a swab/wipe and the semi autos get the same plus after every few sessions, I field strip and clean them. When any of them have been inactive in the safe for a period of time, I take them out and wipe them down.

... ed ...
MAINE - The Way Life Should Be ...

Old 02-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #16

I clean them every time I shoot. If only to visually inspect the parts for wear and damage. And well, since you've already got the stuff out, might as well clean and oil them!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I clean mine after every shooting (sometimes the day after). I do it for a few reasons:

1. Why not? Easier to clean if I just get it done.
2. A clean gun is a happy gun.
3. This is the weird one. I am an extraordinarily lazy person and I normally despise cleaning. But, I find the process of cleaning my guns after I fire to be part of the whole experience. I own and shoot guns only because I like it; I have no other motiviation. For some reason, I like cleaning them, too.
4. Jeez, those things are expensive! Something that costs that much should be maintained.
5. I hug them and pet them and I name them George.

Last edited by 741512th; 02-02-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Thought of another good reason

Old 02-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #18

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 741512th View Post
I clean mine after every shooting (sometimes the day after). I do it for a few reasons:

1. Why not? Easier to clean if I just get it done.
2. A clean gun is a happy gun.
3. This is the weird one. I am an extraordinarily lazy person and I normally despise cleaning. But, I find the process of cleaning my guns after I fire to be part of the whole experience. I own and shoot guns only because I like it; I have no other motiviation. For some reason, I like cleaning them, too.
4. Jeez, those things are expensive! Something that costs that much should be maintained.
5. I hug them and pet them and I name them George.
Hey JD, we got another one of us!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #19

Default Clean 'em

i clean my handguns after every firing session whether it was 10 or 100 rounds fired. After being fired powder and metal fouling make the weapon more inaccurate and only become more difficult to remove as time goes on. It is easier and better for the health of all metal parts of the weapon (especially auto or semi-auto) for them to be cleaned immediately. If you own a rifle that is meant for long distance a brush 2 times through the bore is best for maintaining accuracy between 5 shot groups.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #20

I clean every other session. Since I shoot normally twice a week roughly 100rds each session, this translates into weekly cleanings =)