Found My Perfect Carry Method
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Found My Perfect Carry Method

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Found My Perfect Carry Method

I've been trying for years to find the perfect carry method for me during the week. I have to wear dress clothes for work, thin button-up dress shirts and thin slacks and dress pants. I found it was impossible for me to carry in a tucked in dress shirt and slacks without screaming GUN! And I refuse to dump a lot of money in new dress pants just to go one size bigger to accommodate my gun. I've tried countless IWB tuckable holsters and none of them worked at all.

So last week I took a chance on a generic brand belly band holster and wow what a difference that made! It holds my gun tight to my side and I can wear it at whatever height I want. I have been wearing right above my waist and I can tuck my dress shirts in and not have tight pants with a gun tucked in also. The gun hides perfectly and the best part is there is zero discomfort for me. I've been wearing it every day during the week and never know its there.

Now the part I'm thinking about is that since I've found the right holster for me, I'm feeling like I could step up in gun size from the Sig 238 I've been carrying. Thinking about a single stack 9 of some kind, preferably not polymer. Also thinking about a Det Special. Really looking for something unique. Been trying to get my hands on a Solo, but don't want to pay through the nose for one on GB.

Interested in hearing some recommendations here.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7318 Times on 4402 Posts
Likes Given: 8975

I have seen several members on here praise the belly band. I have no experience myself, but I think several others like it.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

Liked 263 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 25

As much as dislike a safety on a small pistol and a short pull SA trigger for a concealable pistol if your comfy with the 380 sig why not stay with the design and get there p938 , 9mm version as you allready know the feel and grip of the design. Nothing new to learn. If so go to a gun store and handle a few makes. NO poly pistol?? Why, they would cover any of your needs and still be lite in weight yet offer a full grip for most people . Unique might be better for the range are for bbq's. But as a tool to defend your life with? Any way its your choice not ours. Handle all the thin lighter pistols you can and shoot them if possible. For my life I just want a design that fits a need and works. Name or look does not matter much to me for a defence pistol, only that it works very well. Check on forums to find members near you about shooting members handguns too. I find most will meet and let someone shot there pistols. My view is if a shield, cw9, pf9, p-11 or the p938 does all you need and hides as well as a solo why buy the costlier one. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Oly

I've been carrying a PM 9 in my $15 belly band for the last 5 years of my 17 years of CCW. I experienced all the same issues as you trying to conceal in work clothes with standard holster and could only pull it off by adding a Columbia Sportsear Vest to the outfit which looked a bit obvious in summer months.

These belly bands are the best kept secret of experienced EDC people and come with the added benefit of not needing to unholster if mother nature calls for a class 2 download! Just tug the whole rig up a bit and take care of business without needing to balance a gun on a TP holder...

My only concern with your set up would be doing this with a single action pistol. My band does not have any rigid barrier covering the trigger area so I would be worried about the possibility of the safety being bumped off and a foreign object...like a seatbelt...acting on the trigger through thin slacks and elastic.

If your going to carry an SA pistol in this fashion I would suggest stitching a leather paddle to the outboard side of the gun compartment on the BB just to bs safe.

My Kahr has a long, smooth, DA only trigger so it's not really a concern with this gun.

Also, I finally got to shoot a solo Sunday before last and liked the gun but I will say it was more difficult to hold on to than my PM 9 due to the smooth metal frontstrap. If I ever do buy a solo, I would opt for either front strap checkering OR simply cut and apply some skate board tape to give it more grip.

Good luck and I glad you finally tried the perfect system for those of us who must dress in office work attire.

Tack

Old 11-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #5

Really the only reason I went with the Sig 238 is because I needed as small as possible for trying to conceal with dress clothes. Now that I have that problem corrected, I can go back to a larger caliber like I originally planned.

The 938 is an option I will definitely explore.

I went to a shop and really liked the PM9. At least until the guy across the counter said the gun had polygonal rifling. Big strike against the gun as I have copious amounts of lead reloads that I had plans to use for range time with the new CCW piece. But liked the feel of the gun and trigger was much nicer than a DOA hammer-style gun like a LC9.

Someone else recommended a MK9, but haven't seen one and think it might be too big.

I love the BB when it comes to number one bath rooming too. I don't have to worry about a gun and holster jerking my pants down as soon as I unbutton and unzip now. And I found I was always making slight adjustments with an IWB holster. I was getting poked and jabbed in various spots depending on whether I was sitting or standing. The BB has so much flex that the whole rig and gun move with me when I move rather than being stationary and digging into me when I move.

Last edited by Olympus; 11-28-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

Liked 263 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 25

To bad sales people are not always skilled well in there products. You could have looked a the Kahr CM or CW for the bit larger model and have regular cut rifling and besides unless you load and shoot lead bullets whats wrong with the same rifleing glock uses, Polygonal. The cm/cw can be bought for around $375 too. Buy them both. I carry ether a cm9 or a cw9 depending on what we are doing.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #7

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Look at Kahr's CM 9. it's the budget version of the PM and I believe it has standard rifling and is 2 bills less than the PM. other differences are mainly cosmetic. Slide beveling is at 45 degree rather than rounded, markings are cut rather than laser engraved and front sight is pinned rather than dovetailed but for a close quarters CCW Piece...who cares?

Had the CM been available 5 years ago I'd have gone for it and saved the $200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Really the only reason I went with the Sig 238 is because I needed as small as possible for trying to conceal with dress clothes. Now that I have that problem corrected, I can go back to a larger caliber like I originally planned.

The 938 is an option I will definitely explore.

I went to a shop and really liked the PM9. At least until the guy across the counter said the gun had polygonal rifling. Big strike against the gun as I have copious amounts of lead reloads that I had plans to use for range time with the new CCW piece. But liked the feel of the gun and trigger was much nicer than a DOA hammer-style gun like a LC9.

Someone else recommended a MK9, but haven't seen one and think it might be too big.

I love the BB when it comes to number one bath rooming too. I don't have to worry about a gun and holster jerking my pants down as soon as I unbutton and unzip now. And I found I was always making slight adjustments with an IWB holster. I was getting poked and jabbed in various spots depending on whether I was sitting or standing. The BB has so much flex that the whole rig and gun move with me when I move rather than being stationary and digging into me when I move.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3373 Times on 1879 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
As much as dislike a safety on a small pistol and a short pull SA trigger for a concealable pistol if your comfy with the 380 sig why not stay with the design and get there p938 , 9mm version as you allready know the feel and grip of the design. Nothing new to learn. If so go to a gun store and handle a few makes. NO poly pistol?? Why, they would cover any of your needs and still be lite in weight yet offer a full grip for most people . Unique might be better for the range are for bbq's. But as a tool to defend your life with? Any way its your choice not ours. Handle all the thin lighter pistols you can and shoot them if possible. For my life I just want a design that fits a need and works. Name or look does not matter much to me for a defence pistol, only that it works very well. Check on forums to find members near you about shooting members handguns too. I find most will meet and let someone shot there pistols. My view is if a shield, cw9, pf9, p-11 or the p938 does all you need and hides as well as a solo why buy the costlier one. Good luck.
I love my 938, almost the same size as your 238, I like shooting mine which is good because I need all the range time I can get. And it's small enough to carry.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

maddoccanis Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #9

Nothing against polymer guns, they just tend to get traded at my house.

The Kahr MK9 looks very much like what I'm looking for except for the polygonal rifling.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4835 Times on 1652 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

Here's a size comparison.
P938
P238
Ruger LCP

NSDQ