which foreign handguns compare to US-made? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > which foreign handguns compare to US-made?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

USA HiPoint

Old 05-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
Austria - GLOCK
Belgium - FN Herstal
Croatia - XD/XD-m (sold in US by Springfied)
Czech Republic - CZ
Germany - H&K, Walther
Italy - Beretta
Philippines - Armscor (Rock Island)
Switzerland - SIG Arms (Sig Sauer)
US - Browning (Owned by FN Herstal), Colt, Dan Wesson (owned by CZ), Kel-Tec, Kahr, Les Baer, Remington, Smith & Wesson, Sturm Ruger
(Somebody mentioned that the Chinese make guns but I don't see any Chinese entries here, or Russian, and for sure they make guns.)

Question: Say you had a private security company purchasing agent from country X who wanted the best handgun for personal security work like bodyguard, etc.

Say he was comparing a Smith & Wesson but wanted something comparable but cheaper. Which foreign gun would fit the bill?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppablebootydisk View Post
Question: Say you had a private security company purchasing agent from country X who wanted the best handgun for personal security work like bodyguard, etc.

Say he was comparing a Smith & Wesson but wanted something comparable but cheaper. Which foreign gun would fit the bill?
I'm sure costs vary greatly by brand from one country to the next...so that's a pretty open ended question depending on the specific location.

Here in the US, you're going to have a hard time beating a S&W M&P for a $400-500 service pistol (and the cost would be presumably less still, for a dept contract of sorts) . For whatever reason they seem to have flooded the market a bit recently, and costs are reflecting that supply. And they're very good guns, BTW. But that's the cost here, in some parts of the world they might very well fall among the cost prohibitive.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #14

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
USA HiPoint
Oh, yes, the guys out of Ohio with, hands down,

the best warranty in the industry, regardless

of price.

Oh yeah, I forgot about them...

Old 05-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
Everyone will have their own opinion about which is better but here's a list of top manufacturers of pistols. Not sure if it's all correct, and I'm probably missing some. It also depends on the type of pistol that you are looking for. How do you really compare a Les Baer to a GLOCK?

I would say that, on whole, the US makes the best 1911s and Revolvers, hands down. I would say that foreign countries have the lead for Browning Hi-Power-derivatives and striker-fired polymer guns. Just an opinion that I am not strongly tied to and would leave it up to the more knowledgeable to be able to fully disect.

Austria - GLOCK
Belgium - FN Herstal
Croatia - XD/XD-m (sold in US by Springfied)
Czech Republic - CZ
Germany - H&K, Walther
Italy - Beretta
Philippines - Armscor (Rock Island)
Switzerland - SIG Arms (Sig Sauer)
US - Browning (Owned by FN Herstal), Colt, Dan Wesson (owned by CZ), Kel-Tec, Kahr, Les Baer, Remington, Smith & Wesson, Sturm Ruger

You sir read my mind. And one of my favorite guns of all time is my Makarov!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #16

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I vote for phillipines "Armscor"

When i took my High Standard 1911 to a gunsmith to have some upgrades done, i picked it up and he told me that it was a joy to work on. He told me that it compares very close to a Colt model 70.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 05-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #17

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Rock Island(Armscor) makes a great entry leval .45acp 1911. I'm not sure you will find a West German SIG lacking, but they are turn ins. I have a P6 that is outstanding. I'm not a big Berretta fan, Taurus either. The 92 series in particualar does not stand up past 5000 rounds. I've had major peening on the frame of both after 3000 rounds. The Sig also has an alloy frame, but it is VG.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #18

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
(Somebody mentioned that the Chinese make guns but I don't see any Chinese entries here, or Russian, and for sure they make guns.)
I'm not up on Russian guns and I don't believe there to be a comparable high-end Chinese-made gun, but I could be wrong.

Quote:

If it were me:

1 SIG
2 H&K
3 GLOCK

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 05-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #19

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Wow I can't believe no one has mentioned how awesome Taurus is!

Just kidding. Most people here know I hate them. But someone always comes along and says how they are so much better than Colt or Smith & Wesson.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #20

Fn 5-7 is also a great gun, but the glock just wins it all.