Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   which foreign handguns compare to US-made? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/foreign-handguns-compare-us-made-65109/)

floppablebootydisk 05-25-2012 04:03 AM

which foreign handguns compare to US-made?

How to foreign handguns compare to US made handguns of the same basic functionality in terms of accuracy reliability and ease of handling?

How do foreign handguns compare in quality?

Which countries are the most formidable competitors to US companies:
my guess is the Germans, Belgians, Czechs, and French present the stiffest competition on quality.

On price I am guessing the Russians and Chinese have the lowest prices but not the best quality...?

g17frantz 05-25-2012 06:10 AM

Man I don't even know where to start.

kycol 05-25-2012 11:48 AM

Well we all know Belgium made Brownings are some of the best quality in the world. And in the Philippines we have the Rock Island Armory who in my opinion makes and awesome 1911

knfxda 05-25-2012 03:04 PM

Everyone will have their own opinion about which is better but here's a list of top manufacturers of pistols. Not sure if it's all correct, and I'm probably missing some. It also depends on the type of pistol that you are looking for. How do you really compare a Les Baer to a GLOCK?

I would say that, on whole, the US makes the best 1911s and Revolvers, hands down. I would say that foreign countries have the lead for Browning Hi-Power-derivatives and striker-fired polymer guns. Just an opinion that I am not strongly tied to and would leave it up to the more knowledgeable to be able to fully disect.

Austria - GLOCK
Belgium - FN Herstal
Croatia - XD/XD-m (sold in US by Springfied)
Czech Republic - CZ
Germany - H&K, Walther
Italy - Beretta
Philippines - Armscor (Rock Island)
Switzerland - SIG Arms (Sig Sauer)
US - Browning (Owned by FN Herstal), Colt, Dan Wesson (owned by CZ), Kel-Tec, Kahr, Les Baer, Remington, Smith & Wesson, Sturm Ruger

mountainman13 05-25-2012 03:08 PM

Somehow I see this becoming a 1911 vs glock thread in the end. Interesting question though.

therewolf 05-25-2012 05:43 PM

IMHO, the best foreigners wind up having representation here.

Beretta, in Accokeek MD, and CZ, for example.

OTOH, you can do very well with a Tokarev and a spam can from

J&G. Nagant revolvers are also cheap and plentiful, but so are

Ruger and Taurus .38s.

Like someone else said:"Where do I start?"

sweeper22 05-25-2012 08:04 PM

A great firearm can be made literally anywhere. It's all about the individual manufacturer, and the care they choose to take in engineering, material selection, and quality control.

There are plenty of extremely high quality "made in China" products out there. Unfortunately they're out-numbered by the cheapo junk. The US is very much a firearms leader, but you'll also find pawn shops littered with "made in the USA" Saturday Night Specials.

I would tend to buy American made when it comes to revolvers and 1911s. Everything else is a case by case decision. I like Sig and CZ products quite a lot...BTW, is CZ now a US company?

knfxda 05-25-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22 (Post 814075)
BTW, is CZ now a US company?

My understanding is that there is a CZ-USA that imports CZ firearms made in the Czech Republic, but they are still a subsidiary of CZ - Czech Republic. Dan Wesson is also under the CZ umbrella.

oli700 05-25-2012 08:37 PM

yeah, every CZ is made in the Czech Republic and imported through CZ-USA in Kansas City

orangello 05-25-2012 08:43 PM

The quality on my springfield armory XD45 from Croatia seems pretty good to me.