FN Herstal 5.7x28 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > FN Herstal 5.7x28

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2115 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
.223 caliber bullet has been killing people since Vietnam and it still is. Velocity is as important as caliber size. If anyone is familiar with the sabot tank Armor Piercing rounds with the tungsten rod? Well the diameter of the rod is relatively small but its traveling at such speed that it punches a hole in one side and sucks everything inside out the other sides hole and thats accomplished through velocity. I believe every round has a place in which it will perform better than say another. Why dont we all carry .50 caliber desert eagles? Or all own Barrett rifles? Not thst the are not good weapons.
And the .223 caliber bullets do their best at killing when they are over 2400 fps and have a weight over 50 gr to get adeuqte penetration while still having enough energy for relaible jacket fragmentation.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #12

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Mixed reviews on effectiveness of the round.

The FiveSeven has been around for over a decade as a round but never really caught on here as anything much more than a novelty round. This is largely because the round was developed for a very specific purpose, as aPersonal Defense weapon for troops who needed something more compact than a carbine, but still needed to be able to punch through body armor or a kevlar helmet. ther round is capable of doing that with a specific load that FN developed. Now, once the gun was allowed to be imported to the US it was with the understanding that FN not import their armor piercing ammo for sale to anyone but law enforcement and military units.

So, the rounds available to civilians do not have the same capabilities as the "claim to fame" of the 5.7 round. No major ammo manufacturers in the states were making ammo for it, so FN is your primary source, and it is pricey. There is a small company, Elite Ammunition that makes ammo for it. FN ammo is about $700-$900 per case of 1000 rounds. It does look like Federal Makes ammo in this chambering now for around $30-$45 per 50 rounds.

I spoke with a Florida SWAT team memebr who stated he did not like the round. He had been on a drug house entry where two armed men were shot over 5 times each and were still returning fire. Other people claim that people drop on the spot. So, I would say the jury is still out. It seems like an expensive range toy to me. Fun to shoot, accurate, flat shooting, unique, well made with a lot of engineerng behind the round and the weapons. I just don't see it doing anything that existing rounds can't already do, when limited to civilian ammo.
^^^This, in a nutshell.
Plus add to that that although the pistol is very light, it is large and bulky. Not easily concealed. Not impossible to conceal though, just that there are many other guns that would be far more easily concealed.
I had one. Shot it enough that I would have felt comfortable to carry it (from the round performance standpoint). Although, just as SSGN_Doc states above - jury is probably still out on the performance of the round. I did not ever find myself carrying it though (due to it's size & bulkiness). Ammo was expensive and hard to find. Ended up selling mine for exactly what I paid for it (good market for them and they are holding value well). Nothing was wrong functionwise - it was well made. I just did not shoot it much and it became for me (just as stated above) an expensive range gun.

Now, all that said, if I would have picked up that bad boy for $200 bucks????
I'd probably buy another one for that.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #13

Liked 2115 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Oh, and heck yeah, I'd buy one for $200. I'd have fun with it and still sell it at a profit after I was through. Or hang on to it because it reminds me of the SciFi channel version of Battlestar Gallactica.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you all for the input. He has decided against carrying it, but he didn't take a paycheck while he worked their for over a year so yeah he does get some decent deals.