FN Herstal 5.7x28
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > FN Herstal 5.7x28

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default FN Herstal 5.7x28

A very good friend of my family picked up a 5.7 pistol for a little over $200 from the gun shop he used to work at. He was showing me the pistol the other day and asked me about the caliber and it's overall effectiveness. I had never really looked into the caliber hardly at all and was wondering if y'all could help me out. I told him I'd get back to him after I posted on here.
I would assume its a pretty good pistol quality wise since its from FN, but what about the caliber? Is it an effective one for carrying? I know it holds 20 rounds per mag and that it's a .22 caliber bullet. Anything y'all recommend me to tell him?
Thanks in advance
Semper Fi

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #2

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

So you're telling me he got a $1300 pistol for $200?!?!
Tell him to make sure it's not stolen, or broken.

Great round for defense, just be sure to pack the right ammo in it.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #3

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

My question is can he get more at that price and if so I call dibs on the first one. I cant speak on the effectiveness of the round because I have yet to shoot anyone or anything with it but with the right ammo in it, im sure it can be quite a devastating round. I know fully loaded with either 20 or 30 rounds, it is still lighter than my 1911 empty.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19
So you're telling me he got a $1300 pistol for $200?!?!
Tell him to make sure it's not stolen, or broken.

Great round for defense, just be sure to pack the right ammo in it.
Thank you for the input, and yeah it was brand new sent from FN. He is good friends with the owner and the owner their really takes care of his guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner
My question is can he get more at that price and if so I call dibs on the first one. I cant speak on the effectiveness of the round because I have yet to shoot anyone or anything with it but with the right ammo in it, im sure it can be quite a devastating round. I know fully loaded with either 20 or 30 rounds, it is still lighter than my 1911 empty.
I'm currently working on him getting me one for even close to that price. But I shot it with him and it shoots good we just weren't very sure on the effectiveness of the round.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #5

Liked 2186 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Mixed reviews on effectiveness of the round.

The FiveSeven has been around for over a decade as a round but never really caught on here as anything much more than a novelty round. This is largely because the round was developed for a very specific purpose, as aPersonal Defense weapon for troops who needed something more compact than a carbine, but still needed to be able to punch through body armor or a kevlar helmet. ther round is capable of doing that with a specific load that FN developed. Now, once the gun was allowed to be imported to the US it was with the understanding that FN not import their armor piercing ammo for sale to anyone but law enforcement and military units.

So, the rounds available to civilians do not have the same capabilities as the "claim to fame" of the 5.7 round. No major ammo manufacturers in the states were making ammo for it, so FN is your primary source, and it is pricey. There is a small company, Elite Ammunition that makes ammo for it. FN ammo is about $700-$900 per case of 1000 rounds. It does look like Federal Makes ammo in this chambering now for around $30-$45 per 50 rounds.

I spoke with a Florida SWAT team memebr who stated he did not like the round. He had been on a drug house entry where two armed men were shot over 5 times each and were still returning fire. Other people claim that people drop on the spot. So, I would say the jury is still out. It seems like an expensive range toy to me. Fun to shoot, accurate, flat shooting, unique, well made with a lot of engineerng behind the round and the weapons. I just don't see it doing anything that existing rounds can't already do, when limited to civilian ammo.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #6

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Academy carries American Eagle 5.7x28mm for $24.99 per box of 50.

Im interested in reloading the round, seems like it has a lot of potential for reloaders.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

if you percieve a need for a ap round the 7.62x25 tokarev is a superb one as all the surplus is AP.

im not convinced on the 5.7 as a defensive round due to its small size. goblins seem to become incapacitated from it eventually but it tends to a take a while. thats not good if that goblin is shooting at you or beating your head in.

i rank it int he same class as 22LR atm simply because it has a very spotty record of effectiveness. i mean that in terms of effectiveness not power level. either it does the job or it completely fails or it does the job at some point in the distant future.

my philosophy is poke the biggest hole in the target you can so the goblin leaks out fast ending his evil aggression fast. you may only get one good solid hit and you want that hole big as possible.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-02-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #8

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

I have heard them compared to really exspensieve 22 mags

Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #9

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

.223 caliber bullet has been killing people since Vietnam and it still is. Velocity is as important as caliber size. If anyone is familiar with the sabot tank Armor Piercing rounds with the tungsten rod? Well the diameter of the rod is relatively small but its traveling at such speed that it punches a hole in one side and sucks everything inside out the other sides hole and thats accomplished through velocity. I believe every round has a place in which it will perform better than say another. Why dont we all carry .50 caliber desert eagles? Or all own Barrett rifles? Not thst the are not good weapons.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
I have heard them compared to really exspensieve 22 mags
thats about the power level but that of a 22mag rifle not the weak 22mag pistols. they are super accurate very fast shooting because of almost zero recoil. the sample i tried i had trouble loading the first round because the mag had issues with fully seating fully loaded.

it would feel like it was seated but it just wasnt quite there. just due that one issue i would be reallllly hesitant about relying on one for self defense without a lot of testing of the particular one and its magazines your looking to stake your life on.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...