Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > FN FNP 357 sig vs springfield 45.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default thanks

thank you all, don't mind my grammer in this post im on my blackberry typing this im currently doing a night op. and got some free time, thank you everyone i would like to say i think i am definitly falling towards the springfield because of the fact of its history and reviews all around, i do want a gun that is giving me my moneys worth AND more that is reliable and long lasting, as far as the FN 357. yea the rounds are expensive i know it fires 38 special rounds so if i would get that i would probably shoot the 38 rounds down range and keep a clip of 357. rounds for actual use.....i have only been to 3 gun stores so far and this weekend im going to a around the corner to test fire some rental pistols....and *yes my weapons training is up to par** but since im not a SNCO yet my weapon training is definitly leaning towards an M4, M16A4, Saw, 240 gulf/bravo and 50 cal.....even got to fire an AT4...*may i add that **** will make you feel like your heart shakes when it fires lol** but as far as the pistol range i dont get to go very often but i trust myself especially with a private range around the corner from my house....i wanna thank you all for your information i will be going to many more stores and test firing weapons and i will keep you all updated and probably asking for more advice....i probably will be purchasing my weapon by the end of the month....especially with this gun show coming up march 28th.....ok everyone i'll catch yaw later

Old 03-04-2010, 01:37 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Shoot them both and pick whichever you prefer.

.357sig ammo can be a pain to find (and pay for), but if you don't mind ordering online the issue can be somewhat minimized.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #13

well the place that i was gonna get the gun from sells the ammo but thanks everyone

Old 03-06-2010, 04:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep925 View Post
i thought about a 12 gauge but i dont want something that big...if i was gonna buy that i would buy something similar to the m4 because i know how to fire one with my eyes closed but thank you for the responce
Its hard to beat a 12ga when it comes to home defense I hope you never have to use a firearm to defend youre home but if you do find youreself in that situtaion the extra knockdown power will elimante the threat swiftly not to say a handgun will not do the same but take into consideration you only get one bullet with each trigger pull of the handgun vs 15 buckshot pellets with every pull of the 12ga trigger when using 3inch mags. If someone is putting my family in danger I want to defuse the situtaion as quick as possible I do how ever cary my handgun when Me and the family take road trips. The benelli m4 is a great gun but expensive you can pick up a new mossberg model 500 tactial for cheaper than either one of those hand guns. So even though I own some nice hand guns if someones around my house up to no good Im grabing the 12ga every time. But if you are going with to go with a handgun I dont know nothing about the FNP but I do own a springfield XD and its a great firearm.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:18 AM   #15
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mike, The FNH FNP is a sweet pistol and you can get it in 40 and 45 as well as the 357. I have a FNP-40, not my carry pistol but easily one I use for home defense. A good grip with exchangable palm swells to fit your hand, decent sights and easy to control in a rapid fire event (14+1). It's one of the pistols I own I wouldn't sell simply because it preforms so well. Not taking anything away from the Springfield just two totaly different pistols IMHO.

Either pistol will be a good choice.

Semper Fi Brother,
Will

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 03-07-2010 at 03:21 AM.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:27 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

.45 ACP is big and fat and slow. I think it may be the perfect SD round. It's not cheap, but it's generally a whole lot more available than the .357 Sig.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #17

hey just wanna say i finally made my choice and bought a 40. cal smith & wesson SW40VE....what yaw think

Old 03-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

That'll do nicely, I like the Sigmas, I have one in .357sig that I use as my Carry, some will complain about the trigger but it works well for me, Get to the Range and Shoot it and all will be fine.

You in Cherry Point or Jax, If in Jax I am not far from you if you'd like some range time.

It is better than a Glock.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #19

Default .357 sig

Like some of you, I have no problem with the .357 sig. FNP shoots straight and relatively comfortably, for a more than fair price. I like the fact that I can shoot the .357 at longer rangers that the .45, with good accuracy. Over-penetration is not a problem with hollow points. A full metal jacket will over-penetrate with even a 9mm. Even when I'm hunting, I am fully conscious of what's behind my target; and make split second decisions before I shoot. By the grace of God, I have always been safe.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The FNP's are really good pistols. They are some of the only poly frame weapons I would own. I'm not a big fan of the 357 Sig round but it's more for reasons of cost vs performance. I just don't see a reason to spend that kind of money on ammo when I cnaq use other ammo and achieve similar results. THe 357 Sig ammo is not as readily available and costs more than most other rangew and/or defense ammo. But it to each their own. I don't see a lot of use for a 10mm either but I can see why people would want to shoot one. THere is a fun factor to them as well as the 357 Sig.

I'm a big Springer fan but I am not a fan of striker fired weapons. I just prefer an external hammer. The XDs are well built and reliable though from all I've seen.The FNP is loaded with features and fits many hands well with the ability to change the back strap. The de-cock is something I've grown quite fond of the more I shoot a pistol with one. I own one of the Browning Pro 40's and it's one of my favorite pistols to range shoot with.

I don't see over penetration as an issue either. That's what HPs are for anyway. People use hit loads all the time in the more traditional calibers. And there is the 10mm. So get what ya wanna OP. It's you that has to be OK with the decision. So get what you want.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson