Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > FN FNP 357 sig vs springfield 45.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FN FNP 357 sig vs springfield 45.

ok so i need advice im in the United States Marine Corps. im stationed out NC and im living in a neighborhood that i hear gun shots alot and im bout to have a kid so im shopping for a gun i was at the store today and i fell in love lol but im not sure what i want cuz i dont know the difference

both the springfield armory 45. and the FN FNP-357 Sig.....where both pretty much the same price....

all i know is that both guns fire different caliber rounds and from what i can visually see the springfield has the triple trigger and the other safety on the back of the grip....ive heard people say both are great guns but i really dont like paying 500 bucks for something without knowing everything

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2010, 01:46 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Mike. Welcome to ftf and thankyou for your service. God Bless the Troops!

Usually new members stop by the introductions forum and spill their guts, but I'll try to help pyou here.

Quote:
im living in a neighborhood that i hear gun shots alot and im bout to have a kid so im shopping for a gun i was at the store today and i fell in love lol but im not sure what i want cuz i dont know the difference
These rounds are very different in ballistics. I couldn't tell you the difference in stopping power, but the .357sig is typically a 'hotter' round. (more pressure, snappier recoil, and huge muzzle blast) In my opinion the .357sig is not suited for home defense. That little bullet will fly through many walls with reckless abandon.
You can get some .45acp hollowpoint rounds that will not penetrate near as much, but still has the ko power you need!

Quote:
both the springfield armory 45. and the FN FNP-357 Sig.....where both pretty much the same price....
I think both are quality firearms, but I haven't fired or tried out any FN pistols. I have however fired more than my share of Springfield XD's. They are a fine choice! They do have the trigger safety, grip safety, and visual chamber loaded indicator. They are simple to operate and takedown for cleaning. They are accurate,reliable, and a great choice for a first pistol.

Have you considered a 12guage shotgun for home defense?

I have a .45acp, but for my house I'm grabbing the shotgun first if I can!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #3

i thought about a 12 gauge but i dont want something that big...if i was gonna buy that i would buy something similar to the m4 because i know how to fire one with my eyes closed but thank you for the responce

Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hi Mike, and God bless my Sister Service! I JUST posted this in the XD forum, so forgive the repeat, everyone.

http://www.officer.com/print/Law-Enforcement-Technology/Springfields-XD9-Subcompact/1$31772

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #5

Mike, from one veteran to another....even if I didn't like toteing you guys around on my boat

The .357sig is a round that duplicates the tried and true .357mag ballistics in 125gr. The .45 and .357 are nearly identical in stopping power as measured by the two studies that anyone puts any kind of credence in. That's still a controversial statement though, so expect some members to have issue with it. Still, the facts are that either of those two rounds are near the top of the heap in real world performance. Make sure you shoot both before you buy, then pick the one you like best.

As to what Gojubrian said; I find it very odd that in one post someone will claim that the .357 is too powerful for SD because of the danger with over penetration and then another poster, or as I've noticed numerous times the very same poster just days later will claim that a heavier projectile penetrates better than the lighter faster bullet and as such they trust the heavier bullet more. I'd really like some clarification on this. Does a faster, lighter bullet over penetrate or does the heavier, slower bullet penetrate more?

I mean literally, I could look through just the last three pages of threads and find two divergent opinions on this subject from two well known members. What's more disconcerting is that not once...not one time have I seen a poster who claimed one side really debate another who claims the other side. Perhaps I've missed it, or perhaps the data doesn't back up either claim.

Last edited by operator0; 03-03-2010 at 04:03 AM.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:06 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mike the only problem I have with the 357 sig is that the ammo is hard to find and usually very expensive. Tonight I sold a FN in four five to a guy and he's picking it up Friday. He promised that he let me shoot it Friday night as we also have an indoor range. If you want my opinion on that firearm get in touch with me Saturday, although, eyes thinks eyes gone to like that big ole gun. Just got a funny felling about it.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
As to what Gojubrian said; I find it very odd that in one post someone will claim that the .357 is too powerful for SD because of the danger with over penetration and then another poster, or as I've noticed numerous times the very same poster just days later will claim that a heavier projectile penetrates better than the lighter faster bullet and as such they trust the heavier bullet more. I'd really like some clarification on this. Does a faster, lighter bullet over penetrate or does the heavier, slower bullet penetrate more?

I mean literally, I could look through just the last three pages of threads and find two divergent opinions on this subject from two well known members. What's more disconcerting is that not once...not one time have I seen a poster who claimed one side really debate another who claims the other side. Perhaps I've missed it, or perhaps the data doesn't back up either claim.
It depends on the type of ammo we are talking about. +p, hollowpoints, fmj, etc..... Different loads will have different penetration in the same caliber.

Why don't you clear it all up for us?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 AM   #8

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Default Springfield What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep925 View Post
ok so i need advice im in the United States Marine Corps. im stationed out NC and im living in a neighborhood that i hear gun shots alot and im bout to have a kid so im shopping for a gun i was at the store today and i fell in love lol but im not sure what i want cuz i dont know the difference

all i know is that both guns fire different caliber rounds and from what i can visually see the springfield has the triple trigger and the other safety on the back of the grip....ive heard people say both are great guns but i really dont like paying 500 bucks for something without knowing everything
Springfield sells 1911's, "steel frame" single action auto's, "think US Military sidearm from 1912 to 1985" and they sell the XD "polymer, striker fired pistols.
If it's a new Springfield under 5 hundred I'm guessing your looking at the XD, there 1911's run quite a bit more. I own both and would recommend the XD .45 ACP. You get 13 plus 1 capacity in a proven fight stopper and if your a Marine, I'm not going to worry about your handgun training. If the corps hasn't given you any, they've given you enough smarts to go get it on your own...Right?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
It depends on the type of ammo we are talking about. +p, hollowpoints, fmj, etc..... Different loads will have different penetration in the same caliber.

Why don't you clear it all up for us?
The contradictions only seem to appear when discussing the .357mag/sig. If a person is asking about .357s then a .45 fan will say it over penetrates and is a dangerous SD/HD round. If talking about .45 then a poster will say that the .45 is better because heavier bullets penetrate better than the lighter 357 rounds.

Just take a few days and watch the posts.

Last edited by operator0; 03-03-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #10

I think you have some pretty informative posts here. If it was to me I would stick with the 45 just because as posted, 357 sig is a hard round to find and keep in stock and it is more expensive. Plus the 45 is just a fun round to shoot.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending