FN five seven thoughts
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > FN five seven thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FN five seven thoughts

Hey gents just doing some homework before I drop about a grand and was wondering what you guys thought of it and if any one has run into any problems with it. I recently ALMOST bought a Judge public defender but by luck I rented one before buying one and found it to be a huge POS, No offense to any one on here that likes the Judge public defender.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #2

Liked 98 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Well lets see, from my POV, well made, expensive hard to find ammo, lots of things that hit harder for half the price, big, expensive, but they are nice guns if you have the spare cash. Just keep in mind they dont dump as much energy due to the projectile size being a .22, the GOOD ammo is around mid 300 lbs of energy. heres all the info you want to know about them. I was looking at them a while ago but wanted something with more "stopping power".

FN 5.7×28mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5647 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

my opinion its in the same class as the judge in pistol form. the 5.7x28 is only good if you got the restricted military ammo in a rifle. a fun range toy great for eradicating rabbits and rodents but not a serious sd firearm. yeah it can kill and the muslim terrorist at ft hood used one. but its on par with 22magnum and 22lr for effectiveness.

go for a better gun.

just my opinion others may vary

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #4

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

How does 5.7 x 28 FN round compare with 9mm,.380 ACP, etc?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I have a problem when a pistol has a barrel that resembles electrical conduit.

Save your cash and buy a real gun. For what you'll save, buy two real guns.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The FN Five Seven was the gun that the major used in the Ft Hood shooting.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 07-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

My buddy has one and has used it on the ranch for all kinds of animal control. It is very effective. Zero recoil. Crazy accurate.

Ammo here is about $20 per 50, and plentiful.

Not sure if I need one, but really like shooting his.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-23-2011, 03:57 AM   #8

Liked 98 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40calcliffy View Post
How does 5.7 x 28 FN round compare with 9mm,.380 ACP, etc?
It is on par with a 380 and has less power then a 9 mm but remember it is a .22 so it will dump less energy into a target then a 380 due to less of a surface area and lighter weight. If one has more cash then they know what to do with by all means go for one, but i agree, get a real gun or go get a .22 mag. I try my best ( my AR not included :-D ) to avoid anything NATO like firearm wise as in the past decade or two they are revamping all their ammo to be little tiny funny things.
Yes they want to replace the 9mm para with the 5.7... as if 9 is not small enough..what happened to the good ole .45?

Last edited by deathkricket; 07-23-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:20 AM   #9

Usually only people I see that really praise the FN are the people that need to be ''different''
it is sort of a bastard gun, compared to 9mm it's more expensive, less ''stopping power'' and harder to find.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Impractical, expensive, strange looking...and yeah, still pretty cool.

If you live on a ranch or want to do some pistol varminting, it could be a fun choice. As a primary range and self defense firearm there are far more practical options for half the price in my opinion. As to the caliber (the civilian rounds), I'd be really interested in a case study of "real world" defense shootings and ballistics. Without that I'd question actual defense potential given the size...have to imagine it'd be similar to a 17hmr/22wmr. But like the 17hmr, I doubt there's enough documented defensive shootings (w/ civi rds) to support any credible study.

But this much is true- the people I know who own 5.7s do unanomously praise them. I have yet to shoot one though.