Five handguns everyone should own. - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Five handguns everyone should own.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JeeperSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 118
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Glock in 9mm

Glock in .40

Glock in 357

Glock in .45

Glock in 10mm

Now you have the best, most reliable, and simple to operate handguns in a wide range of calibers!

Or better yet; a Glock .23 and spend the rest on bullets instead of other guns

__________________

Last edited by JeeperSC; 08-06-2013 at 03:30 PM.
JeeperSC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #72
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

You certainly covered all your wants and personal needs with one brand.
*applauds*

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JeeperSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 118
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Lol yup! Really there is no way I would actually buy a Glock in each caliber because I drool over other certain guns. All Glocks would be boring.

__________________
JeeperSC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cherry Valley,Arkansas
Posts: 439
Liked 114 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Default

1. Ruger 22-45 with 4" barrel and aftermarket rail for a TLR1, Modded a Blackhawk nylon holster to carry it. Highly useful and most of the time easy and cheap to feed if you just want to shoot.

2. NAA Guardian in .32 acp and a Superfly pocket holster. Pocket gun, everybody has a favorite, this happens to be mine. I use FMJs because of the low power.

3.Browning High Power in 9mm. Had it since '73, used to hiding it in clothes and loading, clearing, shooting it is automatic. Have an old Mitch Rosen TRV and belt if I want to carry it outside my clothes.

4.Glock 20 with Lone Wolf 40 cal. conversion and TLR1 in a Bladetech. In 10 and loaded with Silvertips or Double Tap it is closer to a .41 mag than a .357, with 15 round mags it is a stopper. The .40 barrel is all it takes for the swap and it has worked perfectly so far. Now, it is easy to control and reasonable to feed in normal conditions.

5.Colt Detective Special .38 snub with a nylon belt holster and IWB clip holster. Loaded with 125gr. +P it is simple to use and effective, As long as they could deal with the blast and recoil it is a good way to arm a newbie.

Yes I have these guns, no they are not always my favorites. I like to carry my Delta Elite hunting and have a rig that will pack it, my 1991A1, a Sig (GSG) and the Browning all in the same SERPA II. Better ergo. and trigger pull makes these more useful for hunting. Bladetech does not offer the holster for my Glock/TLR1 pairing but the one for the TLR2 works great, don't know any reason they catalog it that way.

__________________

Last edited by p35bhp55; 08-06-2013 at 03:42 PM.
p35bhp55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mahall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 893
Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperSC
Glock in 9mm

Glock in .40

Glock in 357

Glock in .45

Glock in 10mm

Now you have the best, most reliable, and simple to operate handguns in a wide range of calibers!

Or better yet; a Glock .23 and spend the rest on bullets instead of other guns
I did just that!! I own 3 Glocks instead of A bunch of fancy stuff that would just collect dust!! 26 (carry) 19(carry with capacity) and 30(carry with thunder) all three can be carried or used for SD!! I love guns, but really don't have the money to invest in a bunch of useless stuff that I would hardly shoot!! Love the 26 and that would be the last I would part with, awesome, accurate carry gun!!
__________________
mahall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
griffin81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: heber springs,arkansas
Posts: 1,017
Liked 414 Times on 228 Posts

Default

A Quality 1911 in 45 acp
Sig p238 or 938
Ruger vaquero in 45 long colt
Springfield xdm
Browning buckmark 22.
Remember if it goes bang when I pull the trigger I'm happy, if it hits the target I'm even happier.

__________________
griffin81 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

if GLOCK made a .22..... and no, not the MODEL NUMBER.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrumJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Here in the holler....
Posts: 4,823
Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Okay, I'm bored today, and you guys here aren't helping much. There hasn't been a good, spirited discussion here in a while, so let's see where this goes:

What are the five handguns you feel are necessary, and that everyone should own. More importantly, say WHY. Base your answers on any scenario or standard that you want to, but of course, other poster have the opportunity to . . . ah . . . discuss the merits of the standards you make your choices from.

Okay, I'll start:

1. 4" .357 magnum revolver. For reasons I have stated in other threads, I believe a 4" barrel .357 is the most useful all around handgun there is. To paraphrase a comment another member made, the .357 may not place first in a particular category, but it comes in at least second in just about all of them. It would be a hard choice for me to choose between a Smith N frame and a K frame; I think the N frame would edge out the K frame by a hair.

2. A .22 revolver or automatic. Everyone should have a good .22 pistol; for inexpensive practice; for plinking; for fun; for small game; and, yes, it could even be used for self defense. Once again, a difficult choice to choose from, but I think the Ruger Single Six Convertible would narrowly win first choice here.

3. A 1911 in .45 caliber. Everyone should have a 1911. Classic design, classic caliber, and, to my mind, the best combat pistol ever made. My first choice would be the 20 year old Springfield Armory that is my first and only project gun, and I have it just as I like it. If I had to buy a new one -- Colt Gold Cup.

4. 9mm automatic. Those who follow my posts know that I normally wouldn't spit on a 9mm -- I am both rationally and irrationally prejudiced against this caliber, partly because so many misguidedly worship this caliber. But . . . it is the caliber of many of the world's military handguns, and ammo is common. My choice, hands down, would be a Browning Hi Power.

5. .44 magnum revolver. Everyone should own one, in case they need to put down a charging cape buffalo. Sure, you may not ever have an occasion to do so, but when the need arises, it's better to be prepared. My choice would be between a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Smith Model 29. The Smith is more elegant, the Blackhawk arguably more rugged. I think I would give the Ruger the benefit of the doubt.

Looking over this list, I realize that I lack the 9mm and the .44, both of which I've owned in the past, but am currently without. Maybe I need to do a little gun tradin'.

So, what's your choice?
I can agree with all of these pretty much. I do think the N frame wins out on the 357 category. I have a N and K frame 357 and like the N frame more. They are built to take the full house load and then some. The GP100 had to have this idea in it's design process.

And in the 44 mag thing I like the Super Redhawk if I"m having a Ruger. I just like the DA/SA option. It's an odd opinion being I"m a HUGE 1911 fan But I like a revolver to have a Da/Sa trigger.

AS far as the 22 and 9mm go I can take any of a dozen options but if I wa sfilling that need now I"d be looking at a 226 Sig SAuer or maybe the CZ75 or SP01.
For a 22 I'm don't have a lock for a revo. The Browning Buckmark and Ruger MK pistols fill the need very well. I do like the High Standard Double Nine revos though
__________________

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

DrumJunkie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post

I can agree with all of these pretty much. I do think the N frame wins out on the 357 category. I have a N and K frame 357 and like the N frame more. They are built to take the full house load and then some. The GP100 had to have this idea in it's design process.
Agreed there. I carried a k frame (65-2) and wasn't dissatisfied at all. I just think the N is better for constant full house loads.

I ran some reloads through my 65 that were so hot they bruised my hand, and caused lingering soreness in my wrist, elbow, shoulder and jaw. They also forced oil out from the edges of the side plate. Yeah, I only shot 6 of those and took the rest back to the guy that gave them to me. He shoots them from his Taurus tracker, but they were loaded by a friend of his for use in a rifle.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #80
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Threetango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Carolina, a gun friendly state.
Posts: 2,779
Liked 5147 Times on 1769 Posts
Likes Given: 1526

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Okay, I'm bored today, and you guys here aren't helping much. There hasn't been a good, spirited discussion here in a while, so let's see where this goes:

What are the five handguns you feel are necessary, and that everyone should own. More importantly, say WHY. Base your answers on any scenario or standard that you want to, but of course, other poster have the opportunity to . . . ah . . . discuss the merits of the standards you make your choices from.

Okay, I'll start:

1. 4" .357 magnum revolver. For reasons I have stated in other threads, I believe a 4" barrel .357 is the most useful all around handgun there is. To paraphrase a comment another member made, the .357 may not place first in a particular category, but it comes in at least second in just about all of them. It would be a hard choice for me to choose between a Smith N frame and a K frame; I think the N frame would edge out the K frame by a hair.

2. A .22 revolver or automatic. Everyone should have a good .22 pistol; for inexpensive practice; for plinking; for fun; for small game; and, yes, it could even be used for self defense. Once again, a difficult choice to choose from, but I think the Ruger Single Six Convertible would narrowly win first choice here.

3. A 1911 in .45 caliber. Everyone should have a 1911. Classic design, classic caliber, and, to my mind, the best combat pistol ever made. My first choice would be the 20 year old Springfield Armory that is my first and only project gun, and I have it just as I like it. If I had to buy a new one -- Colt Gold Cup.

4. 9mm automatic. Those who follow my posts know that I normally wouldn't spit on a 9mm -- I am both rationally and irrationally prejudiced against this caliber, partly because so many misguidedly worship this caliber. But . . . it is the caliber of many of the world's military handguns, and ammo is common. My choice, hands down, would be a Browning Hi Power.

5. .44 magnum revolver. Everyone should own one, in case they need to put down a charging cape buffalo. Sure, you may not ever have an occasion to do so, but when the need arises, it's better to be prepared. My choice would be between a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Smith Model 29. The Smith is more elegant, the Blackhawk arguably more rugged. I think I would give the Ruger the benefit of the doubt.

Looking over this list, I realize that I lack the 9mm and the .44, both of which I've owned in the past, but am currently without. Maybe I need to do a little gun tradin'.

So, what's your choice?
My five by your calibers.
From top left clockwise.
S&W 686 Plus 357, Sig Sauer MK 25 SEAL 9mm, Beretta NEOS 22 cal, Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44 mag., Springfield PX1909LP loaded 45 cal.

__________________

NSDQ

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who don’t like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.
__________________

Threetango is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
One of my son's handguns Intheshop General Handgun Discussion 3 02-05-2013 03:12 AM
Handguns?? bandit4102 General Handgun Discussion 16 06-03-2012 06:54 PM
New to Handguns EmilyATL Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 30 09-24-2011 03:07 PM
.44 mag handguns?? Kwaynebb General Handgun Discussion 17 09-24-2011 01:27 PM
Top 10 Handguns? GunMats General Handgun Discussion 34 06-06-2010 09:50 PM