Five handguns everyone should own.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Five handguns everyone should own.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Five handguns everyone should own.

Okay, I'm bored today, and you guys here aren't helping much. There hasn't been a good, spirited discussion here in a while, so let's see where this goes:

What are the five handguns you feel are necessary, and that everyone should own. More importantly, say WHY. Base your answers on any scenario or standard that you want to, but of course, other poster have the opportunity to . . . ah . . . discuss the merits of the standards you make your choices from.

Okay, I'll start:

1. 4" .357 magnum revolver. For reasons I have stated in other threads, I believe a 4" barrel .357 is the most useful all around handgun there is. To paraphrase a comment another member made, the .357 may not place first in a particular category, but it comes in at least second in just about all of them. It would be a hard choice for me to choose between a Smith N frame and a K frame; I think the N frame would edge out the K frame by a hair.

2. A .22 revolver or automatic. Everyone should have a good .22 pistol; for inexpensive practice; for plinking; for fun; for small game; and, yes, it could even be used for self defense. Once again, a difficult choice to choose from, but I think the Ruger Single Six Convertible would narrowly win first choice here.

3. A 1911 in .45 caliber. Everyone should have a 1911. Classic design, classic caliber, and, to my mind, the best combat pistol ever made. My first choice would be the 20 year old Springfield Armory that is my first and only project gun, and I have it just as I like it. If I had to buy a new one -- Colt Gold Cup.

4. 9mm automatic. Those who follow my posts know that I normally wouldn't spit on a 9mm -- I am both rationally and irrationally prejudiced against this caliber, partly because so many misguidedly worship this caliber. But . . . it is the caliber of many of the world's military handguns, and ammo is common. My choice, hands down, would be a Browning Hi Power.

5. .44 magnum revolver. Everyone should own one, in case they need to put down a charging cape buffalo. Sure, you may not ever have an occasion to do so, but when the need arises, it's better to be prepared. My choice would be between a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Smith Model 29. The Smith is more elegant, the Blackhawk arguably more rugged. I think I would give the Ruger the benefit of the doubt.

Looking over this list, I realize that I lack the 9mm and the .44, both of which I've owned in the past, but am currently without. Maybe I need to do a little gun tradin'.

So, what's your choice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #2

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

1. 1911 - obvious choice, no further explanation required.

2. .22 semi-auto - fun plinker, cheap and fun. It's going to be a bit finnicky but that will teach a person to clean their firearms. Also did I mention it's just fun to shoot and cheap?

3. .22 revolver - excellent platform to learn to shoot.

4. Glock - You either love it or hate it but it's popular and everyone should have experience with this firearm, I prefer the .40 full frame (Model 22).

5. .44 or larger revolver - If I was going on a hunting trip to Alaska or anywhere deep in the woods, I would carry my rifle with me but I would also have a revolver as a backup sidearm. They are incredibly reliable and will get the job done every time.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Okay, I'm bored today, and you guys here aren't helping much. There hasn't been a good, spirited discussion here in a while, so let's see where this goes:

What are the five handguns you feel are necessary, and that everyone should own. More importantly, say WHY. Base your answers on any scenario or standard that you want to, but of course, other poster have the opportunity to . . . ah . . . discuss the merits of the standards you make your choices from.

Okay, I'll start:

1. 4" .357 magnum revolver. For reasons I have stated in other threads, I believe a 4" barrel .357 is the most useful all around handgun there is. To paraphrase a comment another member made, the .357 may not place first in a particular category, but it comes in at least second in just about all of them. It would be a hard choice for me to choose between a Smith N frame and a K frame; I think the N frame would edge out the K frame by a hair.

2. A .22 revolver or automatic. Everyone should have a good .22 pistol; for inexpensive practice; for plinking; for fun; for small game; and, yes, it could even be used for self defense. Once again, a difficult choice to choose from, but I think the Ruger Single Six Convertible would narrowly win first choice here.

3. A 1911 in .45 caliber. Everyone should have a 1911. Classic design, classic caliber, and, to my mind, the best combat pistol ever made. My first choice would be the 20 year old Springfield Armory that is my first and only project gun, and I have it just as I like it. If I had to buy a new one -- Colt Gold Cup.

4. 9mm automatic. Those who follow my posts know that I normally wouldn't spit on a 9mm -- I am both rationally and irrationally prejudiced against this caliber, partly because so many misguidedly worship this caliber. But . . . it is the caliber of many of the world's military handguns, and ammo is common. My choice, hands down, would be a Browning Hi Power.

5. .44 magnum revolver. Everyone should own one, in case they need to put down a charging cape buffalo. Sure, you may not ever have an occasion to do so, but when the need arises, it's better to be prepared. My choice would be between a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Smith Model 29. The Smith is more elegant, the Blackhawk arguably more rugged. I think I would give the Ruger the benefit of the doubt.

Looking over this list, I realize that I lack the 9mm and the .44, both of which I've owned in the past, but am currently without. Maybe I need to do a little gun tradin'.

So, what's your choice?

I wholeheartedly agree with 1-4, number 5 I could live without really. Not that I don't like them, just don't really have a use for it. The biggest animals in my parts are white tail deer and MAYBE the occasional black bear. Have never seen one within 300 miles of home, but i have heard of one or two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 08-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #4

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

45C single action
22 Ruger MK2
Rem700 mid grip in 221 Fireball or 7BR
10mm semi auto

Old 08-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with 1-4, number 5 I could live without really. Not that I don't like them, just don't really have a use for it. The biggest animals in my parts are white tail deer and MAYBE the occasional black bear. Have never seen one within 300 miles of home, but i have heard of one or two.
So what would your number 5 be?

Old 08-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I'd change #3 to a different .45. I like my Sig P220 more than I ever liked my 1911. #5 goes to the Super Blackhawk, I reloaded for one for 15 years and there's a wealth of variety in what it can do.

3d Infantry Division
"Dogface Soldier"
Beretta 70 Collection
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Old 08-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 411 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 127

CZ 75.
Hi Power.
Beretta 92.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I am in line with you With exception of the .44 magnum.

A .454 Casull will fire .44 mag. Maybe one of those BFRs.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #9

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

1. Full frame polymer pistol. 9/40/45/10mm it's your choice. I pick a S&W M&P .40 with a 9mm drop in barrel. M&P is as reliable as a Glock but shoot better for me.

2. 1911

3. 4"or 6" .357 magnum revolver. Can't get better than S&W for that.

4. Compact carry size pistol. S&W Shield or KelTec P11 for me.

5. .22LR semi-auto or revolver. Browning Buckmark or S&W 22A for me.

Last edited by kryptar19; 08-05-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

1. Star Trek Phaser-No legal worries when the bad guy is vaporized
2. Han Solo's blaster-It's a man thing
3. Men in Black's Noisy Cricket-Best concealed carry ever.
4. P226-Best handgun ever made! My opinion of course.
5. Full size USP in .40 or .45-Large battle pistols are awesome!