Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Five handguns everyone should own. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/five-handguns-everyone-should-own-94905/)

txpossum 08-03-2013 08:09 PM

Five handguns everyone should own.

Okay, I'm bored today, and you guys here aren't helping much. There hasn't been a good, spirited discussion here in a while, so let's see where this goes:

What are the five handguns you feel are necessary, and that everyone should own. More importantly, say WHY. Base your answers on any scenario or standard that you want to, but of course, other poster have the opportunity to . . . ah . . . discuss the merits of the standards you make your choices from.

Okay, I'll start:

1. 4" .357 magnum revolver. For reasons I have stated in other threads, I believe a 4" barrel .357 is the most useful all around handgun there is. To paraphrase a comment another member made, the .357 may not place first in a particular category, but it comes in at least second in just about all of them. It would be a hard choice for me to choose between a Smith N frame and a K frame; I think the N frame would edge out the K frame by a hair.

2. A .22 revolver or automatic. Everyone should have a good .22 pistol; for inexpensive practice; for plinking; for fun; for small game; and, yes, it could even be used for self defense. Once again, a difficult choice to choose from, but I think the Ruger Single Six Convertible would narrowly win first choice here.

3. A 1911 in .45 caliber. Everyone should have a 1911. Classic design, classic caliber, and, to my mind, the best combat pistol ever made. My first choice would be the 20 year old Springfield Armory that is my first and only project gun, and I have it just as I like it. If I had to buy a new one -- Colt Gold Cup.

4. 9mm automatic. Those who follow my posts know that I normally wouldn't spit on a 9mm -- I am both rationally and irrationally prejudiced against this caliber, partly because so many misguidedly worship this caliber. But . . . it is the caliber of many of the world's military handguns, and ammo is common. My choice, hands down, would be a Browning Hi Power.

5. .44 magnum revolver. Everyone should own one, in case they need to put down a charging cape buffalo. Sure, you may not ever have an occasion to do so, but when the need arises, it's better to be prepared. My choice would be between a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Smith Model 29. The Smith is more elegant, the Blackhawk arguably more rugged. I think I would give the Ruger the benefit of the doubt.

Looking over this list, I realize that I lack the 9mm and the .44, both of which I've owned in the past, but am currently without. Maybe I need to do a little gun tradin'.

So, what's your choice?

Yunus 08-03-2013 08:28 PM

1. 1911 - obvious choice, no further explanation required.

2. .22 semi-auto - fun plinker, cheap and fun. It's going to be a bit finnicky but that will teach a person to clean their firearms. Also did I mention it's just fun to shoot and cheap?

3. .22 revolver - excellent platform to learn to shoot.

4. Glock - You either love it or hate it but it's popular and everyone should have experience with this firearm, I prefer the .40 full frame (Model 22).

5. .44 or larger revolver - If I was going on a hunting trip to Alaska or anywhere deep in the woods, I would carry my rifle with me but I would also have a revolver as a backup sidearm. They are incredibly reliable and will get the job done every time.

sputnik1988 08-03-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1324904)
Okay, I'm bored today, and you guys here aren't helping much. There hasn't been a good, spirited discussion here in a while, so let's see where this goes:

What are the five handguns you feel are necessary, and that everyone should own. More importantly, say WHY. Base your answers on any scenario or standard that you want to, but of course, other poster have the opportunity to . . . ah . . . discuss the merits of the standards you make your choices from.

Okay, I'll start:

1. 4" .357 magnum revolver. For reasons I have stated in other threads, I believe a 4" barrel .357 is the most useful all around handgun there is. To paraphrase a comment another member made, the .357 may not place first in a particular category, but it comes in at least second in just about all of them. It would be a hard choice for me to choose between a Smith N frame and a K frame; I think the N frame would edge out the K frame by a hair.

2. A .22 revolver or automatic. Everyone should have a good .22 pistol; for inexpensive practice; for plinking; for fun; for small game; and, yes, it could even be used for self defense. Once again, a difficult choice to choose from, but I think the Ruger Single Six Convertible would narrowly win first choice here.

3. A 1911 in .45 caliber. Everyone should have a 1911. Classic design, classic caliber, and, to my mind, the best combat pistol ever made. My first choice would be the 20 year old Springfield Armory that is my first and only project gun, and I have it just as I like it. If I had to buy a new one -- Colt Gold Cup.

4. 9mm automatic. Those who follow my posts know that I normally wouldn't spit on a 9mm -- I am both rationally and irrationally prejudiced against this caliber, partly because so many misguidedly worship this caliber. But . . . it is the caliber of many of the world's military handguns, and ammo is common. My choice, hands down, would be a Browning Hi Power.

5. .44 magnum revolver. Everyone should own one, in case they need to put down a charging cape buffalo. Sure, you may not ever have an occasion to do so, but when the need arises, it's better to be prepared. My choice would be between a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Smith Model 29. The Smith is more elegant, the Blackhawk arguably more rugged. I think I would give the Ruger the benefit of the doubt.

Looking over this list, I realize that I lack the 9mm and the .44, both of which I've owned in the past, but am currently without. Maybe I need to do a little gun tradin'.

So, what's your choice?

I wholeheartedly agree with 1-4, number 5 I could live without really. Not that I don't like them, just don't really have a use for it. The biggest animals in my parts are white tail deer and MAYBE the occasional black bear. Have never seen one within 300 miles of home, but i have heard of one or two.

Hairtrigger 08-03-2013 08:36 PM

45C single action
22 Ruger MK2
Rem700 mid grip in 221 Fireball or 7BR
10mm semi auto

txpossum 08-03-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1324923)
I wholeheartedly agree with 1-4, number 5 I could live without really. Not that I don't like them, just don't really have a use for it. The biggest animals in my parts are white tail deer and MAYBE the occasional black bear. Have never seen one within 300 miles of home, but i have heard of one or two.

So what would your number 5 be?

bbertram 08-03-2013 08:49 PM

I'd change #3 to a different .45. I like my Sig P220 more than I ever liked my 1911. #5 goes to the Super Blackhawk, I reloaded for one for 15 years and there's a wealth of variety in what it can do.
:)

manta 08-03-2013 09:16 PM

CZ 75.
Hi Power.
Beretta 92.

danf_fl 08-03-2013 09:39 PM

I am in line with you With exception of the .44 magnum.

A .454 Casull will fire .44 mag. Maybe one of those BFRs.

kryptar19 08-03-2013 09:42 PM

1. Full frame polymer pistol. 9/40/45/10mm it's your choice. I pick a S&W M&P .40 with a 9mm drop in barrel. M&P is as reliable as a Glock but shoot better for me.

2. 1911

3. 4"or 6" .357 magnum revolver. Can't get better than S&W for that.

4. Compact carry size pistol. S&W Shield or KelTec P11 for me.

5. .22LR semi-auto or revolver. Browning Buckmark or S&W 22A for me.

Jagermeister 08-03-2013 09:51 PM

1. Star Trek Phaser-No legal worries when the bad guy is vaporized
2. Han Solo's blaster-It's a man thing
3. Men in Black's Noisy Cricket-Best concealed carry ever.
4. P226-Best handgun ever made! My opinion of course.
5. Full size USP in .40 or .45-Large battle pistols are awesome!