Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First time tomorrow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey thanks everyone. Had a great time at the range. My first couple shots I was a little skittish. Something about shooting inside threw me off. First shot was a ten ring but after that I think I may have been trying to anticipate the recoil. And I was consistently aiming low. But all and all, great time and likely thanks to your advice.

Oh and we did find a friend who had gone shooting many times before and I'm glad we did. It kept some unsuspected nerves calm

Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #12

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maso157 View Post
Hey thanks everyone. Had a great time at the range. My first couple shots I was a little skittish. Something about shooting inside threw me off. First shot was a ten ring but after that I think I may have been trying to anticipate the recoil. And I was consistently aiming low. But all and all, great time and likely thanks to your advice.

Oh and we did find a friend who had gone shooting many times before and I'm glad we did. It kept some unsuspected nerves calm
Simple solution for the low shooting, you said yourself you were anticipating the recoil and probably gripping really tight because of that. A tight grip up high is fine but leave the lower fingers a little loose or they'll bring the nose down by lowering the center of grip.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Just go to Walmart, decent ear protection is no more than 15. Eye less. I don't recommend those plugs type, like ear buds, they're terrible excuse for protection and do nothing for me. Get the over the ear type for sure!
The average foam plug properly fitted, have a much higher NRR than average over the ear muffs.

NRR = noise reduction rating.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #14

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post

The average foam plug properly fitted, have a much higher NRR than average over the ear muffs.

NRR = noise reduction rating.
I hear that from everyone, and maybe it's just my tiny ear openings, but they don't stay in my ears for more than 6 seconds and even with the ones attached to headbands don't go in or block anything.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #15

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maso157

If you have an outdoor range around you should try it out. I always enjoy sun and fresh air. Indoor ranges are dark smokey and compacted like a cave. I always feel looser outdoors.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #16

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Just one thing: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
And don't go cheap on the hearing protection. Stay safe, have fun.
Buy once, cry once etc. You only have two eyes and ears.. Take care of em. When you get my age you wont be saying "what?"

Was working 'sight in days at gun club a few years ago. Coulpe young guys came in w/ no ears. We asked em about it--"oh. we shoot 44s all the time without."