First time tomorrow
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First time tomorrow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First time tomorrow

Ey it's going to be my first time at the handgun range tomorrow. I'm going to turn nineteen tomorrow so my buddy is taking me out. However neither of us has shot pistol before. We are both well rehearsed in firearms safety though. I'm not too worried about accidents but I will stay vigilant.

Anyways what would be good cheap hearing protection? And is there anything we will probably forget?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6765 Times on 3697 Posts
Likes Given: 13340

Most indoor ranges will require hearing and eye protection. But if you don't have your own, they will usually rent it to you for a dollar or two. The same goes for targets and ammo. Some even rent guns. But all those cheap rentals add up quick. Don't forget your ID.
Good luck and have a great time.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #3

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Ranges range in prices for rentals and costs. Mine is a 10 fee and they provide all protection and targets.

Just go to Walmart, decent ear protection is no more than 15. Eye less. I don't recommend those plugs type, like ear buds, they're terrible excuse for protection and do nothing for me. Get the over the ear type for sure!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2781 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Keep the barrel down range as much as possible (even when unloaded).
If you have any questions, stop, unload, put the firearm down, then ask.
(Don't be afraid to ask.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #5

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What Danf said. Also, forget everything you've seen in movies and on TV about handgun shooting. If you're as well versed in safety as you say, you'll be OK. Do anything careless or foolish and you'll become unpopular in a big hurry.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #6

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Try to keep the slide locked back unless firing. Finger off the trigger. Range etiquette is easy to get used to just takes experience. Focus on your front sight. Try to squeeze don't pull the trigger. If you anticipate the recoil you will throw your shot off.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks everyone! Thanks for all the support and speedy advice. I'll be sure to be careful so I can stay away from being kicked out

Old 04-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7012 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 8449

And don't go cheap on the hearing protection. Stay safe, have fun.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #9

My preference for hearing protection is good quality ear plugs and they're CHEAP!!!! I find them the most protective and I wear them everyday. They have the highest NRR ratings (Noise reduction rating) BUT when shooting guns at a range and/or with friends they're not ideal because you can't take them in and off as easy to talk etc... So if you prefer muffs just find some as close to 32-33 as you can, which is what foam ear plugs are when inserted PROPERLY. Which doesn't seem hard but you'd be surprised how many people can't grasp the concept haha

Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #10

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Surefire makes some very good earpro. They are earplugs but are comfortable and reduce the noise of anything you are going to shoot down to almost nothing. Also my personal opinion is that earpro depends on whether or not the range is indoor or outdoor. I shoot at an outdoor range so I never use earpro primarily so that I don't get used to earpro then be in a situation where I don't have the luxury of earpo such as hunting or home defense.