Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First time at the range!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I checked the CA DOJ list but their numbers never match the manufacturers. They do show an approved 5" Ruger 357 but not clear as to 100 or not. They show lots of approved 2.5"... just to show it has nothing to do with safety and all about extorting testing fees from manufacturers.

Damn I may just have to get another Smith & Wesson… poor me.
Just shrink a ruler on the copy machine, bout 20% & then tape the copy to the barrel.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #22
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6758 Times on 4084 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Just shrink a ruler on the copy machine, bout 20% & then tape the copy to the barrel.
Oh,mygod. How creative and funny.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #23
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
After reading the build-up to your first time at the range, this is great news of a good experience. That bodes well for a lifetime of positive shooting experiences.

Congratulations!
Chris, you have been most helpful in getting me out to the range with your simple words.....

And shooting is one of the most American things one can do, besides voting and barbecuing on the 4th of July!

You don't need to know anything about the physics excepts for which end goes bang and keep your finger out of the trigger until you are COMPLETELY ready for that bang.

Besides that, we're just talking about extra credit!

It got me to thinking you don't have to be a vet to like animals or a botanist to admire flowers. I figured I didn't have to be a ballistics expert to enjoy target shooting my gun. Thank you!!

Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 AM   #24

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

winds, at first I was concerned about adding that ammo info to your thread. I didn't want you to get the wrong idea about the "complexity" of firearms. Obviously it didn't deter you.

Awesome job. And keep up your open attitude. It will be no time before you are the inspiration to the next one.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats! And a great choice for a handgun as well. I added that exact same gun to my ever-growing arsenal this past spring. I really enjoy it and recommend it to anyone asking me about a first handgun. In fact, I recommended it to people even before I had one of my own.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #26

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

HUZZAH

Welcome to shooting sports, WOC!
As far as rugers "not wearing out", you're abso-friggin-lutely right! I learned to shoot on a ruger security six my dad picked up used in the early '80s, and after close to thirty years of regular use you can't tell it isn't new by firing it. I read one review where a guy backed over his ruger with a jeep then shot it some more just to prove a point. Rugers are tanks.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #27

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
HUZZAH

Welcome to shooting sports, WOC!
As far as rugers "not wearing out", you're abso-friggin-lutely right! I learned to shoot on a ruger security six my dad picked up used in the early '80s, and after close to thirty years of regular use you can't tell it isn't new by firing it. I read one review where a guy backed over his ruger with a jeep then shot it some more just to prove a point. Rugers are tanks.
Ruger revolvers are the AK-47 of the revolver world. Not the most refined, but they take a beating and keep running.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #28

I bought and shot my very first firearm about 5 months ago, a 4" GP100 stainless and having it turn into an addiction would be an understatement I've since taken up reloading and my regular shooter now is a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44 mag Have fun at the range!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #29
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie View Post
I bought and shot my very first firearm about 5 months ago, a 4" GP100 stainless and having it turn into an addiction would be an understatement I've since taken up reloading and my regular shooter now is a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44 mag Have fun at the range!
Oh, man!!! I really want an Alaskan, too. I do believe it will be my next gun. I just can't afford it right now. I also want a semi-auto pistol and maybe a .22 of some sort for some cheap target shooting........

Old 09-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I also want a semi-auto pistol and maybe a .22 of some sort for some cheap target shooting........
Some of the semi-auto's have a "kit" that will let you shoot .22LR out of the same frame. There is a kit for the CZ75 & I've seen one for some 1911 or other; i believe Sig has some for some models as well.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.