First time at the range!!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First time at the range!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks like you're off to a great start with a great weapon. What did you think of the magnums?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7030 Times on 4231 Posts
Likes Given: 8481

I was a little afraid to try them but I figured as long as I kept my elbows locked and a good, firm grip on the gun I'd be okay. I didn't find the recoil too much stronger than the .38's I was firing. What surprised me most was the flash. I don't know why I was surprised but I was. Actually not only the flash on the .357 but also on the .38. I did some shooting with my arm resting on a rest for the first few shots of both the .38 and the magnums. I think this gun is a perfect first gun for me. I really like it.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

357 as a first gun...now that's jumping into the deep end. Way to go. Keep up the practice.

I have that same Ruger on my to get list, but I think I'll go with the five inch.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

A word of caution: never, never, ever shoot a .357 without good ear protection. They are about as loud as you can get and it's really easy to acquire permanent ear damage...

Old 09-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #15
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
357 as a first gun...now that's jumping into the deep end. Way to go. Keep up the practice.

I have that same Ruger on my to get list, but I think I'll go with the five inch.
Well, there certainly are much bigger guns. My friend shot a .50 caliber Smith and Wesson. That thing sounded like a cannon and several other shooters came over to look at it. The Uzi attraced that kind of attention, too. Probably because he lives in California. LOL My GP100 was recommended to me as an easy gun to handle and to make sure it's empty and a good self defense gun should I ever need it for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
A word of caution: never, never, ever shoot a .357 without good ear protection. They are about as loud as you can get and it's really easy to acquire permanent ear damage...
I have earmuffs that are rated 31 NRR and I also have foam ear plugs........rated the same, I think. Thank you for the warning, though. I am very new to guns, having only shot a couple times before, mostly rifles. This is my first gun and my first time to the range alone with my own gun.

I hope anyway reading any of my posts NEVER assumes I know something but always gives me information, even if it is the most basic. I am here to learn.

You have all been very informative and patient with me. I joined another forum and they are a bunch of rude people. No patience for a newby and not very patient with women, either.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #16
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:

I don't think they make the 5" anymore, do they? Of course, I'm sure some are available as used. I don't think a Ruger GP100 is a gun that wears out very easily.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Congratulations on having a good time with it! edit* Remember, it's plenty big enough to pistol whip a mugger if you run short on shots.

Quote:

I like the 6" i picked up, but i don't carry or use it for anything but LOUD plinking. Wikipedia claims the 5" isn't on the CA approved list, hope they are wrong on that.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome! Congratulations on your new addiction.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #19

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

After reading the build-up to your first time at the range, this is great news of a good experience. That bodes well for a lifetime of positive shooting experiences.

Congratulations!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Congratulations on having a good time with it! edit* Remember, it's plenty big enough to pistol whip a mugger if you run short on shots.

I like the 6" i picked up, but i don't carry or use it for anything but LOUD plinking. Wikipedia claims the 5" isn't on the CA approved list, hope they are wrong on that.
I checked the CA DOJ list but their numbers never match the manufacturers. They do show an approved 5" Ruger 357 but not clear as to 100 or not. They show lots of approved 2.5"... just to show it has nothing to do with safety and all about extorting testing fees from manufacturers.

Damn I may just have to get another Smith & Wesson… poor me.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."