Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   First-time handgun owners questionnaire.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/first-time-handgun-owners-questionnaire-81296/)

StainlessSteel215 01-14-2013 02:57 PM

First-time handgun owners questionnaire....

Just a generic questionnaire to see how many folks on here are new to the forum....and recently just bought their first pistol? I am interested in a completely neutral, non-biased study to get to know the tone in our current climate surrounding firearms in the USA. There are no wrong answers. I would like to gain a sense of your thought process and WHY you made your recent purchase. Few questions for you all....

• What drove you to finally make the jump into purchasing your first gun, and when did you make your purchase?

• How heavy was the recent political/media influence in your decision to buy a pistol?

• Is the primary reason for your handgun purchase for self defense?

• Do you have a current plan for SAFE storage of your pistol?

• Do you plan to obtain your carry permit?

• Finally....which make and model and caliber did you go with and why?

Thank you in advance. Seems now more than ever, new gun owners are jumping off the fence and making their purchase. **EDITED SOME QUESTIONS AND SHORTENED THE LIST....I AGREE IT WAS A BIT LENGTHY!** This wasnt aimed as a college entry exam, just getting to know our new gun community :)

HOSSFLY 01-14-2013 03:18 PM

Way to much info to share ;)

25-5 01-14-2013 04:00 PM

Just what I would expect from a Glock guy!
Find your lab rats elsewhere.

danf_fl 01-14-2013 04:28 PM

You should have asked that they PM you.

I agree, TMI.

If a newb does answer honestly, what stops someone else from ridiculing the answer?

StainlessSteel215 01-14-2013 05:26 PM

lol @ Glock guy. Dude I own many pistols including 1911's.....that was the weirdest stereotype I ever heard

Just trying to get a handle on the new 1st time gun owners and why they are buying now. Not one ounce of bad blood or contempt for them. I consider it growing our community...just want to understand where they are coming from.

You guys need some coffee, or a shot of Jack to relax ;)

danf_fl 01-14-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 (Post 1093381)
Just trying to get a handle on the new 1st time gun owners and why they are buying now. Not one ounce of bad blood or contempt for them. I consider it growing our community...just want to understand where they are coming from.

There is no problem with that.

Opinions are okay on an open forum.
Specific answers should be in a PM.

I am curious on the answers to your survey and hope some new people do send you a PM. Such a thing could help us to help the newbs when we the posted results.

StainlessSteel215 01-14-2013 05:47 PM

Hey look I'm only 30 years old and still a novice shooter myself.
I am NOT some pro looking to critique people on a public forum, not at all. We have folks who love pistols ranging from Hi Point to Wilson Combat....its all good. I actually went back and shortened/revised some questions so it didnt feel like a college entry exam!

Garadex 01-14-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 (Post 1093231)
What drove you to finally make the jump into purchasing your first gun, and when did you make your purchase?

I liked shooting rifles and shot one handgun but wanted something with less recoil. I got it in November

How heavy was the recent political/media influence in your decision to buy a pistol?

Non-existent

Is the primary reason for your handgun purchase for self defense?

No

Do you have a current plan for SAFE storage of your pistol?

It is currently locked unless being shot, cleaned or shown off.

Do you plan to obtain your carry permit?

when I'm of legal age and in a less communistic state.

Finally....which make and model and caliber did you go with and why?

I went with a Ruger Standard because it was cheap, in .22LR, and a Ruger so I knew it would be a good purchase

I will have the first legitimate answer!

StainlessSteel215 01-14-2013 07:21 PM

Nice, thanks for manning up! See it wasnt so bad, right?
That sucks and I feel bad for you living in California being a 2A supporter because it doesnt look like things are gonna get better anytime soon....but you sure have your head screwed on straight.

orangello 01-14-2013 07:22 PM

Maybe you could make this a multi-thread poll? That way they could answer anano, anonamoy, hananim..............without giving their names.