Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First time Handgun owner/Walther P22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 03:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First time Handgun owner/Walther P22

Hey guys, brand new to the forum. Looks to be a great place to get a lot of great advice.

I'm know you guys have talked about the Walther P22 here before, but I was just looking for a single thread here to deal with it all alone.

My dad and I just bought the Military Issue (Black slide, green stock) P22, our first handgun. I wanted to get some wisdom from you guys about owning a pistol, as well as the P22 itself. We aren't planning on getting the Florida CWP anytime soon, so the gun will be used for plinking and home defense. We're really safe people, and want to understand everything about the gun in order to maintain that characteristic.

So what do we need to know about owning a hand gun?

I've heard some say that their P22 will shoot any brand of .22, others said that it was really picky as to the rounds you put in it. Whats a good cheap brand that is excellent quality?

Are there any easy mods to do to it? Anything that we should do?

And I can't seem to find any extra magazines for it under $30. Is there a great place to go to find them online?

I do appreciate all your guys' help. I really want to get into this hobby and lifestyle, so I want to know about every aspect and that includes firstly knowing your gun. So I thank you for any help you can offer. I hope to get a Glock 19 sometime in the future. We were about to get one (on sale for $480!) but decided against getting a 9mm for our first gun that would mainly be used for target shooting.

And if anyone is in Jacksonville, FL, I recommend Shooters on University Blvd. They treated us right and were very informative.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2009, 03:30 AM   #2

Also, when did the P22 come out? I know its not too old but maybe early 2000s?

Old 10-21-2009, 03:59 AM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Introduced to distribution in 1998, everything you want to know about that P22 and your inquires can be addressed in detail, with sublinks also, in this very informative link.

walther p22 - Walther P22 Strengths & Weaknesses

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #4

Post some pics, i was looking at the p22 with the laser, but i decide to just get the g19rtf2...congrats

Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #5

I'll post some when we pick it up tomorrow. It really seems to be a quality gun.

Igeteven, I appreciate the link!

If anyone has some good advice for keeping and maintaining a firearm like this I'm all ears!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #6

Where's the best place to buy extra magazines for it?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphimHD View Post
Where's the best place to buy extra magazines for it?
You're not going to find really cheap mags for these. Check out all the standard places like Midway, etc...

Old 10-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #8

i have a friend that has that gun. we put a couple dozen mags through it without any jams or malfunctions whatsoever the one day i was around when it was being fired. we only had one brand of ammo (factory remington .22 lr), so i'm not sure if it was picky or not, but i'm told as long as they are well maintained they shoot pretty much any brand without problem.

as far as upgrades and extra mags and such, just shop around in your area and thee are some good sites online too, also, you could check out the gun shows that happen in your area, sometimes you can find some good deals there too.

but, for a first hand gun, nice purchase, the walther p22 is far better than the semi auto .22 i own. i'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

Last edited by jbshoots; 10-21-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #9

Glad to hear it! Waiting those 3 days to pick up a pistol in Florida is forever!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphimHD View Post
Glad to hear it! Waiting those 3 days to pick up a pistol in Florida is forever!
Get your CCW and walk in with cash and out with the pistol!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello