Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > first time gun buyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno72 View Post
What do you recommend for the first time gun buyer. 9mm pistol. C&C and home protection
Cant go wrong with the price and reliability of a ruger p89 if ya can find one. All metal frame keeps the felt recoil down for a new shooter , can usually find one used around 350 ?? And they are reliable as most out there

Old 06-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2002 Times on 1086 Posts
Likes Given: 721

Quote:
Very little experience. Signed up for a course and plan to try before I buy. Just curious if anyone had an opinion one way or another. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks
Buying a handgun is a very personal decision. Someone on here described it like buying a pair of shoes. They will feel different to everyone. For instance, there are several on here who swear by Glock. To me, I can't stand them as they are the most uncomfortable guns I've ever held.

A handgun must fit well in your hand. It is an instrument of death and you want to make absolutely sure you can handle it effectively. That's why many of us on here put a very high premium on handling guns before you buy.

Stick with any of the major manufacturers and you should be fine: Smith & Wesson, Colt, Springfield, H&K, Ruger, Sig, Block... oops... I mean Glock, etc.

There are some great channels on YouTube where you can get some excellent information as well. Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45
http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy?feature=results_main
http://www.youtube.com/user/RobPincus
http://www.youtube.com/user/USShootingAcademy
http://www.youtube.com/user/DownRangeTV

That should keep you busy learning all weekend.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #13

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno72
What do you recommend for the first time gun buyer. 9mm pistol. C&C and home protection
To answer your question I would ask first how much you want to spend. $500 and up a Glock 19. Glocks are easy to take down, easy to clean, trigger safety is great if you ever have to defend yourself. It will run dirty and just easy to operate. $300 a S&W Sigma 9mm. Yes the trigger is 8-10 lbs which is stiff, but that is a great safety. It takes down just like a glock, simple fast and easy. The sigma 9 does have a bit of recoil, but like anything practice makes perfect.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #14

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Re-reading this thread, I have another nugget to add...Being it's your first gun, it's not a bad idea to look seriously at a revolver. It meets all your shooting needs and the simplicity of the gun itself is a big bonus for a new shooter...not like a semi-auto is difficult.

Another good thing is that if you can master firing a revolver in DA (double action) you have a good leg up when you step into a semi as far as trigger control is concerned, being that shooting a revolver in DA typically requires more effort and concentration to stay on target that shooting in SA (single action) or a semi...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glad I never had this problem sounds like it would be a big step

Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't mean to offend you, but going from non-gun owner to daily gun carrier seems like a HUGE step. I was given my first rifle when i was six and target practice regularly and hunt occaisionally. I would NOT get a carry permit without some serious training up front; if you bend over wrong in front of the wrong person, and they are upset by the butt of your pistol poking over your waistband, it could greatly complicate your day in a legal/going to the police station way. Learn the rules of how to carry and when to use the firearm before you go into concealed carry. In my state, we are allowed to carry in our cars without a permit; i do so and took the time to review the rules of when I can legally defend myself very carefully. I still don't concealed carry outside my car, too much liability for my current comfort.

Go try some target practice first to see if you enjoy it and to see if you can imagine using such a tool to defend your life under stress, IMO.

(none of this should be construed to support REQUIRED training for a carry permit)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

vincent Likes This 
Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #17

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade

To answer your question I would ask first how much you want to spend. $500 and up a Glock 19. Glocks are easy to take down, easy to clean, trigger safety is great if you ever have to defend yourself. It will run dirty and just easy to operate. $300 a S&W Sigma 9mm. Yes the trigger is 8-10 lbs which is stiff, but that is a great safety. It takes down just like a glock, simple fast and easy. The sigma 9 does have a bit of recoil, but like anything practice makes perfect.
Trigger on my Sigma is 12+

OP....what everybody has said. Get some basic instruction. Then handle every type you have access to. There are specific rules for firearm safety. They never change. Please learn and heed them. If everybody did, there would be no "accidental" (negligent) shootings.

I can't really recommend anything beyond that, because if you've no experience at all, I doubt seriously YOU even know what you need.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #18

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Hi Reno:

Here are my ramblings on the matter. I have 8 years in the Marine Corps and 45 years of shooting experience. That just means I've made my share of really stupid mistake concerning guns, including taking out my living room picture windows ! (Now how many of you will admit to doing something so totally stupid in the hope that it may help someone else?) Bottom line, first, last and always, BE SAFE ! I've and won my fair share of IPSC and bowling pin matches with a revolver.

I'm going to share my personal preferences with ya. Everybody has preferences. They're not right, wrong, good or bad. They're just preferences.
I second everyone's suggestion about taking a training course.

I prefer revolvers over autos. I want the ultimate in reliability. No safeties or feed issues to deal with. I just have more faith in revolvers. I've had my fair share of autos, and they worked just fine 98% of the time. That's not to say a revolver can't jam. But they are far less prone to do so. A high primer can jam a revolver. It happened to me in a match. Revolvers are more intuitive for me meaning I can deploy them more quickly and accurately.

A 38 Special is plenty for home defense and CC. The power of a 357 mag is no substitute for skill. I wouldn't feel under gunned with a 22 for home defense.

I can double tap a target much quicker with a 38 Special than most can with their 357. I've proved this time and again. And my hits will be center mass. I can surely pepper a target (empty the gun) quicker with a 38 Special than most can with a 357. And again, all my hits will be center mass. Don't get caught up in a power or capacity trip. It's presence of mind and skill that counts, not caliber.

For CC, home defense, etc, it's hard to beat the Ruger LCR in 38 Special for $399. Super, super light, reliable as dirt, butter smooth trigger, and accurate as all heck. I never thought I would ever considering a 38 Special over a 357, but we bought my girlfriend the LCR in 38 Special, and it's one sweet gun! I cut one ragged hole at 21 feet.

So take my few word for what their worth and do what you will with them. If you like/prefer autos, then by all means get an auto. What ever you get, practice, practice, practice, then practice some more. Learn what to quickly do when things go wrong (jams, misfires, the bad guy keeps coming when you know you've pumped 4 slugs in him, etc).

Always be safe, and have fun !

Don <><

Last edited by genesis; 06-23-2012 at 12:41 PM.
barneygoogle Likes This 
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

When I was 17 years old, I was in my parents house trying to put my Llama 380 back together and shot a hole in the floor.
I already had a Colt 22 peacemaker that I shot a lot and just open the gate and dump the shells out. I have lots of weapons and my favorites for shooting are revolvers. Learn how to carry and shoot first and then pick out the CCW. S&W Model 37 and 38's are great or go semi. I can't tell you what to get, but I would start out with something cheap, not to cheap though..... the LLama never got put back together and that was a long time ago and I still know where in the river I threw it, peice by peice.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would suggest trying to find a handgun instructor, whether this is an individual that will take you under his wing because shooting is his hobby or because it's a business. Start out by checking out local gun clubs or making a call to the National Rifle Association (NRA) or a State Rifle Association if you have one. The purpose of a Concealed Carry course is to test your shooting skills, not to teach you firearm safety, how to shoot or to introduce you to handguns. A CC course assumes that you already know how to safely handle a handgun and have a reasonable level of proficiency.

After you learn firearm safety and the basics of handgun shooting, then try out as many handguns that you can to find the gun that suits you best. I own over 50 guns and like and dislike each one for for a different reason so telling you what might be right for me might not be right for you. Think of it like asking what kind of vehicle you should buy?