First-time gun buyer!! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First-time gun buyer!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Whitney--I agree with the advice on the revolver, especially if you are new to shooting. A Ruger SP101 would be a good choice--it is reasonably priced and on the heavier side so the recoil will be less, and totally reliable under all situations--I also agree on shooting 38 Specials instead of 357 magnums in it. But the first thing I would do it sign up for a handgun course from a local shooting range if possible--many ranges also have rental guns that you can try. Good luck to you.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #12

You mention that you are a single Mom. I suggest you start weapons training
with your child(ren) at an early age, I started mine at age 5 and 6 at the
range with a .22 rifle (Keystone Firearms - Cricket rifle) drill them with firearms
safety all the time. If they want to see your handgun let them see it touch
and feel it, always unloaded of course, by doing this you take away the
mystery and mystique (is that redundant?) Locking it up and pretending it is
not there or drill them not to touch it ever only feeds their couriosity by
teaching them you diffuse that natural tendency to explore and learn as you
are feeding it.

Excellent ! I agree with this 100% ! People think it's crazy to let their 5-10 year olds touch and handle their guns {Unloaded} but in reality it does take away the curious cat
syndrome. If they held them, it's no longer that big a deal. Also, if you take the kids to the range or show them what a gun can do {If you can take them to a clear area and shoot a watermelon while they watch}, they will not want to play with it, ever! I did this with my son and he doesn't even want to hold my guns no more except for a 22 for targets, which I take him to shoot with me at the range. Educate your children don't scare or threaten them about firearms, they are a lot smartewr than you think and will develop a respect for firearms at a very early age. My friend let his son shoot when he was 5 ! Never, ever had a problem, or had to scold him about touching a gun without permission.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 10-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with a .357 mag.. I don't know about today,but at one time it was the best for one shot stops, with the 125gr. JHP. Plus you can run .38 spl. in it for fun. Good luck.

Psalm 138:7

Old 10-21-2010, 01:12 AM   #14

Congrats being a firearm owner!! Undoubtedly you will end up with several guns before you find the right one for you. This is just a curse of all gun owners. However I think you should take some time and figure out just what you want this gun for. Are you looking to have it just for home defense? Are you going to carry? Are you going to carry in a purse or on your immediate persons? How much time do you plan on spending at the range? etc... All this will play a factor on which gun will be right for you aside aesthetics and ergonomics of the gun. I will say if you plan on carrying a small revolver such as the ruger sp101 or any of the smith and wesson jframes, you will have to spend a lot of time on the range. These snubnose guns demand much more practice to master than say an automatic pistol. 38 calibers would be a minimal I would recommend in a revolver, and a 9mm in an automatic. This of course is all debatable. You first gotta hit what your aiming for. 357 magnum are great calibers but hard to control in small revolvers. Automatics carry more rounds but are more complicated if there is a misfire or jam. Glocks are super reliable but, not having as external safety, is hazardous rattling around a purse or bag.. and the list of considerations go on and on and on. I guess the best thing to do is try out as many guns or at least hold as many guns that you can, go home and research them, and don't buy spur of the moment. I personally carry a snubnose smith airweight in public. Keep 40 cal Beretta px4 on the night stand for home defense. And, carry a 45 cal 1911 or smith and wesson 357 magnum in the woods. I have yet to find a gun that can fill all three roles.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:29 AM   #15

Liked 130 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default .38 s/w airweight or .380 LCP ruger

For a woman I'd go with the s/w .38 airweight snubnose revolver,there easy to clean and they are a very simple gun. But you only get 5 or 6 shots before reload. So get it done with 5 or 6- They have the LADYSMITH also...

Old 10-21-2010, 01:34 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Lots of folks are suggesting revolvers and some shotguns, but I disagree.

Unless you like a revolver and/or shotgun get the one that feels best to you.

You are right to want to ditch the SCCY. Go out and look/feel some other 9mm's on the market that don't cost whole lot more, but are vastly better.

Springfield XD, Sigma, Smith and Wesson M&P, or many others. The 9mm caliber was a good choice,stick to it.

Good for you for taking the steps that all moms should!