First time buying. Help?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First time buying. Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First time buying. Help?

Hello there,

I am interested in purchasing my first pistol. I have owned a few rifles over the years, but frankly, it is hard to carry one around without getting funny looks.

I have fired a few pistols and even use the Sig P229 DAK .40 as my side arm at work. I am familiar with firearms.

I was wondering what are the purchasing steps, transportation and carrying laws, and of course, what should I buy?

Im not really a fan of my service pistol, but I do prefer metal frames over composite. I also prefer .45 over .380 and .40, but its not a big issue. I have been interested in the USP Compact .45 but haven't had a chance to actually shoot one yet. I got to shoot a full size USP .45 and liked the experience, but the pistol felt large and bulky.

I'm looking for something I can carry on me for personal defense, and that I can take to the range now and then.

I'm looking to spend at most $900. Any ideas?

Thanks

-Chuck

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #2

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

This is a good place to start for the what if's and what for's.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

You say you like metal frames but the HK USP is a polymer frame, so I would say go and rent a few guns that feel good in your hand. When you find the right one it will come home with you just like a good dog.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

vincent Likes This 
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #3

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

It's real hard to get a mouse gun you will enjoy at the range. The grips are too small for small women. I wouldn't look for an all around pistol, it will do nothing well. Since protection is more important than fun I would get a pocket pistol first. I prefer revolvers. I am not going to write all the reasons why, see the recent derringer thread.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/derringers-what-one-buy-73178/

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-03-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Welcome to the Firearmstalkforum. We have an "Introductions" area where you can say "Hi".

Laws in different states vary. What maybe legal in my area could be verboten in yours.
Each state has a website of their statutes. And most will have the statutes on firearms included.

We are not lawyers and are kinda shy about giving legal advice in an open forum.
One place to start is here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #5

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Sounds to me like you answered your own question on what to get.

A 45acp
All metal frame
Something you can carry and shoot at range for fun

A 1911, either commander size (which is pretty much full with inch shorter barrel) or defender (maybe called officer) which is smaller all around but still big enough to feel good in an average sized man's hands.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess it does seem kind of silly for me to want an HK and want a metal frame.

I have been looking around online and so far I've come up with a CC weapon being a walther or Sig, with the HK being a sort of "novelty"/home defense weapon.

I understand fully that every person has their different comforts in grip, weight, etc. Unfortunately for me, there aren't that many large gun shops in southern MD. But I will visit them and get a feel for what is available.

There is also a gun show coming up in the middle of October in Southern VA that I plan on going to, any tips on what to look for/avoid?

And is a form 4 required at all times when crossing state lines with a pistol? Or only when its loaded and/or concealed?

Thanks for all the feedback! I read the first time buyers guide and it only helped a little bit.

-Chuck

Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #7

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Check out http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

Buds has a huge inventory. When you go to the gun show you will know what is a fair price. On purchases over $500 one can usually do better with buds. They don't charge shipping and if you live outside of OH you don't have to pay sales tax.

When you buy a new gun pay the extra 3% if required to use your credit card. If you pay cash you have no advocate or leverage if things go awry. Sadly even the most reputable manufacturers ship some lemons. If you order a gun, when it arrives it's damaged or not what you expected you have the right to decline the gun. Once you pay the FFL and walk out the door you have lost a lot of leverage.

When I order used guns or expensive guns I have them shipped to my gunsmith. It might take him a day or so to get around to inspecting the gun but he misses nothing.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-03-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #8

Wow thanks for that info! I have the worst luck on receiving broken products. So at least I won't have to worry about wasting my money!

During my Google searches I did happen to stumble upon buds. I didn't stay at the page very long, I'll have to check it out again.

Thanks.

-Chuck

Old 10-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #9

So I went to the range and shop here in Norfolk. Handled some guns and talked a lot with the salesmen. I shot an LC9 and a G27 .40 cal. I liked the glock. I don't know if its just cause the LC9 was a range gun or what but it was garbage. Kept jamming and I couldn't hit the side of a barn. The .40 was much easier to shoot.

I'm going to try the xds .45 soon.

-Chuck

Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3757 Times on 2083 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chass1s
So I went to the range and shop here in Norfolk. Handled some guns and talked a lot with the salesmen. I shot an LC9 and a G27 .40 cal. I liked the glock. I don't know if its just cause the LC9 was a range gun or what but it was garbage. Kept jamming and I couldn't hit the side of a barn. The .40 was much easier to shoot.

I'm going to try the xds .45 soon.

-Chuck
I owned a Ruger, sr9c for about 9 months, I ended up selling it to a friend because I couldn't afford to buy ammo for it because it wouldn't shoot the cheap stuff I feed my SIG, which I got used. So, my point is I would prefer my SIG over the Ruger, not that the Ruger was a bad gun (my friend loves it) I just love my SIG, now SIGs I just recently bought a 938. Live shooting both of them, never have a problem.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.