First Time Buyer - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First Time Buyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerd View Post
Everyone,

Thank you for the advice! I appreciate the help. I will definitely go and talk to a knowledgeable gun store and just keep trying everything until I find something comfortable.

I'm honestly not that interested in revolvers. I have access to a S&W .357 that I've shot a few times. It's definitely a fun gun to shoot, and I will make sure I take it to the range a few more times before I buy anything, but it's not something I was set on spending a lot of money on. But it never hurts to try it again before I buy anything.

What are your opinions on a .22 conversion kit? My buddy has one for his Kimber. As a college student, a .22 is definitely a good budget conscious idea! But I want a more powerful caliber, as this will likely be the only handgun I purchase until I'm settled into my own home and career. I already put too much money into my shotguns and my jeep! A .22 conversion kit might be a nice compromise that will definitely help my training and my wallet, but allow me to buy a gun I can continue to grow into.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all the advice.
most of the conversion kits are decent, but pricey. you can just about buy a complete pistol in 22lr for waht some of the conversion kits cost.

not into revolvers? check out some semi-auto 22lr pistols. some are very decently priced and much cheaper to shoot than the centerfire calibers.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1665 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

tylerd - guns CAN be a lot like women.

Sometimes the sexiest one doesn't perform as well as a plainer Jane! Nothing wrong with the sexy ones, they are a pleasure to behold

Sometimes you do find one that both looks great and performs great, just remember, HD & CC are not the Senior Prom, they are serious business! Find one that you can rely on in tough times and is a joy to handle, you won't regret choosing that one!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
most of the conversion kits are decent, but pricey. you can just about buy a complete pistol in 22lr for waht some of the conversion kits cost. not into revolvers? check out some semi-auto 22lr pistols. some are very decently priced and much cheaper to shoot than the centerfire calibers.
^ This ^

You would probably be better served buying two guns, a 22 and a full caliber, rather than a conversion kit.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
^ This ^

You would probably be better served buying two guns, a 22 and a full caliber, rather than a conversion kit.
The CZ kadet kit is pricey as heck, but I would love to have one for my CZ-75b.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerd
Everyone, Thank you for the advice! I appreciate the help. I will definitely go and talk to a knowledgeable gun store and just keep trying everything until I find something comfortable. I'm honestly not that interested in revolvers. I have access to a S&W .357 that I've shot a few times. It's definitely a fun gun to shoot, and I will make sure I take it to the range a few more times before I buy anything, but it's not something I was set on spending a lot of money on. But it never hurts to try it again before I buy anything. What are your opinions on a .22 conversion kit? My buddy has one for his Kimber. As a college student, a .22 is definitely a good budget conscious idea! But I want a more powerful caliber, as this will likely be the only handgun I purchase until I'm settled into my own home and career. I already put too much money into my shotguns and my jeep! A .22 conversion kit might be a nice compromise that will definitely help my training and my wallet, but allow me to buy a gun I can continue to grow into. Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all the advice.
The first handgun I shot was a .25 auto. I was somewhere between 3 and 5 years old. By the time I was 9 I was shooting my dads Paraordinance .45 I didn't shoot revolvers seriously until I was 15. I love semis and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a dang thing. But I do enjoy shooting revolvers for fun too.

Try out different guns and see which fit your hand best.

Here's a list of my personal favorites. The ergonomics of each of these is completely different. I've also listed the caliber I prefer shooting each gun in. If you can try these, you will begin to get a feel for which style of ergonomics you like the most.

Glock 19 (only comes in 9mm)

Para Ordinance P-13 chambered in .45 (it's a 1911 style)

Sig P226 chambered in .40

Beretta PX-4 in .45

S&W Model 28 Patrolman (with the long barrel not the short and in .357 magnum not 38 but this ones a revolver so if you have no interest then skip it.)

I have also heard Walther has some great offerings with good ergonomics and good recoil management like their PPQ but I haven't ever shot one so I don't know.

Once you pick the platform with the ergonomics you like, try and shoot it in each caliber to see which one you can manage the recoil best with. A good rule of thumb is to carry the largest caliber you can shoot with the best recoil management.

My favorite caliber to play with is the .45auto in a 1911 style gun. My least favorite is the .40 in my Glock 22. The recoil management is horrible with it. It's also the standard issue for law enforcement around here. So I've been forced to become very proficient with it since all my scores and all of our "friendly" interagency competition takes place with Glock 22s.

Actually there's a lot of S&W .38s in the competitions, but most of those guys never make it past the first round. Our competitions always involve tactical reloads and the revolver guys can never keep up with the rest of us. They're always a second or two behind. There's one guy who makes it to the third round every now and then but all the finalists are always semi auto shooters. :shrug:

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-12-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for the continued responses! I will look into purchasing two separate pistols if prices are similar. A nice used .22 would definitely be something I could afford. Thank you!

Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerd View Post
Thank you for the continued responses! I will look into purchasing two separate pistols if prices are similar. A nice used .22 would definitely be something I could afford. Thank you!
there are lots of decent semi-auto 22's that are budget friendly, even new as well.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerd
If I were you id purchase a nice semi for fun, and then get a cheap .22 revolver for cheap plinking. The .22 LR semis can be super picky about ammo and malfunctions usually ruin my shooting sessions with them the few times I've borrowed my friends.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

JW357 Likes This