First time buyer - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First time buyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thank you all for the replies. I will definitely do my research and get hands on as many different models as i can. As far as concealing it I was considering it just so i could carry while traveling. Do any of your opinions change if I decide to conceal? Thanks again.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #12

If you might carry it on you go with a compact. Will be easier to conceal.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2disciple View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I will definitely do my research and get hands on as many different models as i can. As far as concealing it I was considering it just so i could carry while traveling. Do any of your opinions change if I decide to conceal? Thanks again.
I don't carry concealed; i only car carry (legal without permit in MS). It is my understanding that traveling with a concealed firearm takes some planning when you will be crossing state lines. As far as the choice of firearm, yes, carry firearms are generally smaller, lighter, and/or flatter in profile than range guns. I had a little Bersa Thunder .380 that was light weight, flattish in profile, and smaller than my other firearms; it would make a good carry pistol. Many say that the smaller 1911's are so flat in profile that they make good carry pieces for those wanting most of the characteristics of a larger, more accurate range-type pistol; i don't own a 1911 myself. In general, a smaller, lighter-weight pistol will recoil a bit more and have a shorter sight radius, and this can have a bad impact on accuracy.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 771

The recommendations as you can see from these posts are very numerous. If you haven't yet taken a basic firearms class, then do so. Check with your local gun shop or this site at the NRA can help...

NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

Next, go to a range that rents guns and try everything you can get your hands on. It's fun and educational.

If I was looking for a single handgun for home defense, I would stick with one of four calibers: 357, 9mm, 40, 45.

357 is the revolver of that group. You can shoot everything from low power .38's up to bone shaking magnum rounds through them. They are probably the most versatile handgun chambering available.

The other calibers are all semi-auto's.

9mm is the most prevalent round out there, and because of that will be the least expensive of the four. And that means you can shoot more for your dollar and get more proficient.

40 is the in between round. That's the round I started with. It can sometimes be a little snappy depending on the pistol you have, but it is effective. I think 40 is the most common round carried by law enforcement.

45 is big and slow compared to the others (that's not a bad thing). It is one of the most effective hand gun rounds ever developed.

As for pistol makes? We could go on and on and on. Myself, I like Springfield, Ruger, and Smith & Wesson. But there are plenty of others worth considering as well.

If you plan on concealing, pay close attention to the width of the gun. Width is probably more of a factor than length in concealability.

How much do you want to spend?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 11-30-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I keep reading folks giving advice about buying a .357 and using .38's to practice with.

Maybe its my gun...

...but in my experience owning and shooting a S&W .357 you CANNOT practice with .38's!!

Point of Impact is COMPLETELY different using the 2 different rounds!

My gun is sighted for the .357, it hits VERY well with tight groups but if i throw some .38s in there, the point of impact is WAY higher!

I would have to readjust sights moving between the two.

Not saying to not look into the .357....its an awesome caliber....but you have to make a decision between shooting 38's or 357's and stick with it.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #16

I have a ruger gp100 and understand what you saying about sighting to be true. But if he is using it and only practice shorter distance (self defense ranges) about 7yards or under i dont it would make a huge difference as far as practicing with 38s and packing 357. But it will be important to practice with the 357 sometimes also so you know what to expect in a self defense situation

Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It would be hard to go wrong with a Ruger 357 Magnum Revolver, either a GP100 or SP101. A 3" barrel would be a good starting point. Both will chamber 357 Magnum, 38 Special, and 38 Special +P - the 38 Specials are a good place to start getting use to the gun, then move up to 357 Magnum to get the feel for the load.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #18

Yep, I agree with the revolver too. I recently got my wife, a first time shooter, a Colt Detective Special. She loves it and it is quite controllable with .38 special loads. She keeps it in her night stand.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #19

I am a novice in this area so I have been doing a lot of research. for when I get my FID and Pistol Permit (I'm from lame NJ). The only gun I have actually shot was a .38 revolver. It was fun as hell. However in all my research I keep reading, although small, the .22lr's are the best place to start. Great for training, getting comfortable with recoil and noise, etc. I know its not a stopper but if you're new it may be a good place to start. Rounds are cheap as hell. .38 special is a bit pricey. $18 - $20 a box for 50 rounds where you can get 500 rds of .22lr for under $30. Just a suggestion.

Eddie