First time buyer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First time buyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First time buyer

Looking to buy a handgun for self/home defense. Just wanting something reliable but not overly expensive. Any ideas for caliber or manufacturer? Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #2

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Are you planning on concealing it? Or is it strictly a "nighstand" gun? What's your top end on price?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

This is such a broad question but this is what i would do. Since you didnt say anything about carrying, i take it its just for HD. Me personally, i would look at a .45acp because of the stopping power. Now with that being said, you have many manufacturers out there. IMO, i would look at Glocks, Springfield XD's, Rugers, Smith&Wesson M&P etc. If i had my pick, of course i choose Glock just because i know them personally; although im sure the others are very reliable. Now, im pretty sure all these are in the $500+ range. What i would recommend first and foremost is find a range and practice with different ones. You may feel like the 9mm is the way to go, or perhaps the .40 cal. Once you find the caliber for you, then focus on manufacturer. Keep us posted

Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Forgot to mention the safety feature. If your a true beginner, you may want safety features and the Glock doesnt really have any IMO. Now the XD has plenty; very safety friendly. Just do your homework and you will be fine.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Price range will determine a lot. You should try to "test drive" or at least hold as many different pistols as possible. The Ruger P95 can usually be found fairly inexpensive, in the $300 range. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_75/products_id/18161 Not exactly pretty, but reliable according to those i've known who owned one. There is also a 30 round magazine available for range fun.

Also, don't rule out a lightly used firearm; i have a couple i really like.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #6

I agree with the guys on here and their advise. It has always been my advise to people who are looking for their first handgun to take your time and find the firearm that fits you and your needs. Like has been suggested here the Glock or Springfield XD are hard to beat for a first gun. The double action only is simple to master and both are reasonable in price. One other suggestion,invest in a quality set of night sights. You cant shoot accurately in the dark of your home if you cant see the sights.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #7

I second the P95...I've owned one kick myself for selling. Cheap and reliable!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Find yourself a used S&W or Ruger .357 revolver. You can practice with .38's and keep it loaded with .357 magnums for defense.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #9

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Take a look at the Ruger SR line- Bit more investment but simple safe design
The P series are great too but butt ugly

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #10

I agree with the revolver idea for a beginner. Very simple build design and simple to use. And as stated before if you get a 357 you can practice with 38. And as far as stopping power the bad guy wont be very happy with a 357 shaped hole in him