First Handgun - What .45 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First Handgun - What .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The easy part of your decision is done! You have picked the the most effective CQB combat cartridge ever developed!

Now why not go with the pistol designed by the same guy that invented the 45 ACP? He actually developed them together.

The John M. Browning designed 1911 pattern pistol.

And the best overall 1911 is the no compromise light-weight combat commander , and of course, a Colt!

Attachment 3642

Colt XSE Lightweight Commander Model O4860XSE

Colt's Manufacturing Co.

I can't belive it took a full day and nine prior posts before the Colt Man spoke up!

Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you don't have the hands of a 12 year old, try the springfield XD45. I picked one up earlier this year & have greatly enjoyed its simplicity. I had been thinking i wanted a 9mm for the extra capacity in the magazine, but this one holds lucky number 13 (not the compact). It is very comfortable and natural for me, and i haven't been into regular target practice in maybe a decade. There is a pics thread in the XD section of the forum, take a look & then go hold one at a shop or range.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If you don't have the hands of a 12 year old, try the springfield XD45. I picked one up earlier this year & have greatly enjoyed its simplicity. I had been thinking i wanted a 9mm for the extra capacity in the magazine, but this one holds lucky number 13 (not the compact). It is very comfortable and natural for me, and i haven't been into regular target practice in maybe a decade. There is a pics thread in the XD section of the forum, take a look & then go hold one at a shop or range.
thats a good point there... he should hold a few different guns to see what fits in his hands the best. luckily for me i have some fairly large hands so i have no problem holding a larger framed gun, but on the other hand small frames are uncomfortable to me. thats why i wont look at anything smaller than a 9mm in a semi

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 06-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #14

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I can't belive it took a full day and nine prior posts before the Colt Man spoke up!
This mod **** is keeping me running!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #15

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Thanks for the feedback.

I went to the range and shot a 1911 along with the handguns I tried before. The result was that I will be getting the XD45 for my first handgun. It performed very well compared to the other non 1911's and the price is right.

That said, I will be saving up for a 1911 right away. I want to try out a few different models/manufacturers before I make that leap. The nicer ones seem to be pretty pricey and I want to make sure I get the right one for me when I finally purchase.

Again, thank you all very much for the great advice.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
The result was that I will be getting the XD45 for my first handgun. It performed very well compared to the other non 1911's and the price is right.
I like my XD very much; i bet you will enjoy yours. I too am considering a 1911 later on, maybe for when i retire & have time for fine-tuning such a customizable weapon.

Make the dealer show you how to use the magazine loader; it's a bit weird at first.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:50 AM   #17

My first and last .45 is a 1911. I have had many plastic double action guns and have always came back to the tried and true 1911.