Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   First Handgun - What .45 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/first-handgun-what-45-a-14393/)

NitroxAZ 06-01-2009 04:54 PM

First Handgun - What .45

I am about to buy my first handgun and wnated to get some feedback from everyone here.

I have been to the range and rented the HK, Sig and XD .45's. I noticed a slight difference between them. The only real difference to me was cost and the XD was quite a bit less expensive. I have the following questions:

1. Am I missing something in not going with the HK or Sig as opposed to the XD?

2. I did not try a 1911. Is there a benefit to a 1911 over the others?

Thanks in advance for the input.

sgtdeath66 06-01-2009 05:10 PM

i would go with either a one of those new sigs that you can change out the calibers and frames or a glock. thats just me though

Water-Man 06-01-2009 06:50 PM

I own a SIG P220 .45 acp. My son owns a XD .45 acp Service. Both pistols are accurate and dependable. Which one is better? I like mine and he likes his. His is alot cheaper.

matt g 06-01-2009 07:33 PM

There is a huge benefit to the 1911. The trigger and the rest of the action are glass smooth on all but the bottom end 1911s. A smooth action allows for more accurate initial shots and quicker and more accurate follow up shots.

The 1911 also has a much slimmer profile than double stacked pistols, so they disappear under clothing much easier. A full sized 1911 will be more easily concealed than a compact Sig, Glock or H&K.

SirIsaacNewton 06-01-2009 10:45 PM

First gun I bought glock 30, traded it in for a glock 36, traded that in for an HK USP compact, then finally I traded that in for a kimber 1911 tactical carry. Moral of the story save yourself money you will end up with a 1911 anyway. Don't get me wrong they are all great guns but they are all also gateway drugs into the wonderful world of 1911 amphetamine. Now I am a student with no money and an awful 1911 habit. I might hit rock bottom but it will be with a whole lot of firepower. Check the 1911 out you won't regret it.

Minionsram 06-02-2009 12:11 AM

The 1911 also has a wide array of aftermarket drop in parts for them. Everyone makes the 1911's so the custom parts can be had for cheaper than some other type pistols.

matt g 06-02-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirIsaacNewton (Post 111845)
First gun I bought glock 30, traded it in for a glock 36, traded that in for an HK USP compact, then finally I traded that in for a kimber 1911 tactical carry. Moral of the story save yourself money you will end up with a 1911 anyway. Don't get me wrong they are all great guns but they are all also gateway drugs into the wonderful world of 1911 amphetamine. Now I am a student with no money and an awful 1911 habit. I might hit rock bottom but it will be with a whole lot of firepower. Check the 1911 out you won't regret it.

My first pistol was a full sized USP in .45 ACP. I walked into a gun shop to buy some ammo on the way out to the woods one day, and was eyeing a CDP. The guy behind the counter said for $20 I got 2 full magazines and the range time to burn them.

That same day, I swapped my USP for $400 of a new Kimber Compact II. 10 days later I took it out and ran a couple hundred rounds through it. After that day, I swore that I wouldn't own anything less than a 1911.

SGT-MILLER 06-02-2009 11:41 AM

You will love the 1911 after you shoot one. I am trying to figure out a way to save money to purchase one (mat take awhile - I don't want a cheapo version again).

oldandslow 06-02-2009 12:38 PM

n-az, 6/2/09

Congratulations on your upcoming .45 purchase. I have a number of .45's including Sig and HK and have shot the XD but do not own one. Renting a number of pistols is a good way to start your selection.

Since you have your caliber picked your next step is to pick an action type (meaning the way the pistol functions). Most Sigs and HK'sare called double action-single action pistols (DA/SA). Pulling the trigger for the first shot is long and runs about 10-12 pounds of effort. Each shot after requires less effort (usually 4-6 pounds). DA/SA pistols have been around for a long time and are safe and reliable. The downside is you have to learn two trigger pulls, the DA and the SA pull. Once you have done it a few hundred times it becomes commited to muscle memory and you can shoot it well without thinking.

A double action pistol means the trigger pull is usually long and somewhat heavy with every shot. These are also quite safe and you only have to learn one trigger pull. Most revolvers function this way and many automatic pistols as well (think Glock).

A single action pistol means the hammer is already cocked so it only requires a light pull of the trigger to fire the pistol. These usually come with a safety that has to be unlocked before pulling the trigger. The 1911 series pistols are the most popular example of a single action pistol. A reasonable 1911 pistol is a joy to shoot and I think easier to shoot well due to the minimal trigger pull effort needed.

Once you decide on the action type you need to decide what the pistol will be used for. If it is for the range or home defense a full size pistol will work. If it is for carry you may prefer a smaller, lighter pistol.

Now some comments on your choices so far. I have the HK-USP compact .45. It is light, reliable and accurate. It also has the worst double action trigger of any of my pistols, was expensive and spare mags are also expensive, and I have had problems locating aftermarket parts or service.

I have a number of Sig .45's. They are also expensive but aftermarket mags are not too bad. Parts are readily available as is service. They only ship with one magazine now instead of two mags as done previously. At present I think thery are overpriced and would look elsewhere, even though they are of exceptional quality.

The XD-45 is a high cap .45 that has gotten good reviews and has a much more reasonable price. Since I have only shot it once I do not have a good informed opinion on it.

If you get a chance to try out some more .45's do it. Take a look at the Glock 21 and 30. And give a 1911 pistol a run, eventually you will want one.

So what do I carry? I like the older compact DA/SA pistols- either a Sig p245 or Smith-Wesson 4516 (but I am an old dinosaur).

best wishes- oldandslow

canebrake 06-02-2009 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The easy part of your decision is done! You have picked the the most effective CQB combat cartridge ever developed!

Now why not go with the pistol designed by the same guy that invented the 45 ACP? He actually developed them together.

The John M. Browning designed 1911 pattern pistol.

And the best overall 1911 is the no compromise light-weight combat commander , and of course, a Colt!

Attachment 3642

Colt XSE Lightweight Commander Model O4860XSE

Colt's Manufacturing Co.