First Handgun (Ruger)
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

First Handgun (Ruger)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Handgun (Ruger)

Hello, I am planning on getting my first handgun soon which I would use strictly as a range pistol and after some research I have narrowed it down to two choices, and wanted to get some advice on which to choose. I have decided I want to get either the Ruger SR9 or the SR9c. I like the SR9 because its a very good and well priced full-sized handgun which I've heard nothing but good things about. I like the SR9c because its in the same series just a compact version. I have also heard the SR9c has a slightly lighter trigger and a little less recoil due to the double recoil spring. I'm just not sure if a compact would be the best choice for my first gun.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks - Colin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2010, 07:44 AM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum and good luck with whatever choice you make. Could you by chance go over to the introductions section for us and tell us a bit about yourself? You will get more help that way. Just a heads up.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Definitely stop by and introduce yourself. You are obviously really new to firearms (as you stated) and could use plenty of safety training and familiarization before even attempting a range trip.

You mentioned this (your first) gun is to be used as a "range" gun, but listed the SR9 as your first choice, which is intended primarily as a self defense gun. I could think of a few hundred guns I'd rather spend my time at the range with, other than the SR9. . . and I LIKE the SR9. It just has it's own purpose.

If you want a good self defense gun and wish to spend quite a bit of time at the range gaining proficiency in using it, the SR9 is one of MANY, many options.

Look forward to getting to know you.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

If you like them, I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy either for a first gun. I don't quite get diggs' criticism of the SR9 for a first gun... oh well.

The benefit of the SR9c is its appropriateness for carry. It will be more concealable than the full-size SR9. If carry is not something you are interested in, then I'd probably lean towards the SR9.

What other guns have you looked at?

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 08-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome, I agree with Scott, if the firearm is for range use go with the SR9.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I'm going to add my vote to the SR9 pile, given the specifics you mentioned.

A bigger gun is typically more fun at the range. There's more of a grip to get your hands on, more weight to dampen felt recoil, and a longer barrel and longer sight radius (distance between the rear sight and front sight) mean better accuracy.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 08-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #7

Liked 2158 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

The larger the gun, the easier it is to shoot well. I have lots of compact carry guns. But the guns that put tight groups down range are heavy guns with long barrels. If you want a gun to go to the range every couple of months and put 50 rounds through then it won't matter which you choose. If you plan on going out with your friends and comparing holes in each others targets, get the bigger one.

Contrary to what many people say, you can conceal a full sized gun. Obviously you won't be dropping a full size 1911 into the front pocket of your Levis. But an inside the waistband holster can hide some really big guns really well.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #8

Thanks for the help so far guys. I am a college student in illinois. I have had an interest in handguns for a while and always wanted to do some range shooting. MY step dad and police friends have offered to go the range with me if I get a gun , so I think now is the time I would like to get one and start having some fun at the range. I also plan on taking a firearm safy course.

As far as what dgg's said, I was always told that almost any gun could be a range gun, that a range pistol is merely something you take because it's fun to shoot.

Thanks again Guys

Old 08-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I've become intrigued by the SR9, particularly the compact model. If you buy one, please post a range report and some photos.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
If you like them, I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy either for a first gun. I don't quite get diggs' criticism of the SR9 for a first gun... oh well.
Thought I made it clear with large bold letters that I like the SR9 . . ? Guess not.

In my opinion. I would chose a different range gun. If that's all it was.

It's almost hard to go wrong with your choice for a first gun, as long as you stick to one of the many quality manufactures and do a little homework.

Good luck and let us know what you choose!