First handgun, not quite a noob - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First handgun, not quite a noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8Mateo View Post
Awesome feedback guys, thanks so much.

I've been all over the internet today looking at all the different makes and models you all have suggested. My head is spinning at all the choices!
The bottom line is, it's YOUR choice.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:42 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm thrilled with my CZ75 BD, I think one of the CZ75 models could work for you. I'm a fairly big guy so I don't mind the weight when I carry it and it certainly helps with shooting accuracy.

The model with the decocker lever works as a DA/SA, the CZ75 B model can be carried cocked and locked (like a 1911).

Old 10-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
I'm thrilled with my CZ75 BD, I think one of the CZ75 models could work for you. I'm a fairly big guy so I don't mind the weight when I carry it and it certainly helps with shooting accuracy.

The model with the decocker lever works as a DA/SA, the CZ75 B model can be carried cocked and locked (like a 1911).
My CZ75B is a magnificent pistol. I'll put it up against any autoloader for accuracy & speed. It will eat all ammo without any problems and even +P+ ammo has no more felt recoil than target loads, thanks to the CZ's weight.

For those that may not know: CZ invented the "double stack" magazine, that all other gunmakers use today.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #14

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

3.8Mateo :
James Yeager, on his DVD, says he has taught lots of classes and dislikes 1911s . Yeager said the only 1911 he'd trust his life to is a Kimber and only in full size . And he adds that not all of them are reliable .
Yeager likes Glock 9mm models .
My Kimber Custom TLE II fails to feed every once in awhile . I'm no gunsmith and can't figure it out ( I grip it properly ). I bought a .22 Kimber for practice and hated it ; feather weight aluminum and jammed a few times, could not shoot it accurately .
The late Jim Cirillo liked the Glock 21 , now available as the easier to grip 21SF, in .45 ACP. There is the compact G30
I favor .45 ... if you are willing to practice enough to overcome flinch and shoot it fast and accurately. Of course the 9mm is more compact , easier to get used to and most people shoot better with it . If you have a woman or child who may need to use the gun, the 9mm may be easier for them too .
The Glock is ugly and has a spongy trigger. The polygonal rifling affects accuracy. The grip angle causes you to come in muzzle high . But know what ? It is probably the best one to have in a gun fight because it is police and military proven, corrosion-resistant, blessed with a high rate of fire, dampens recoil with its plastic frame, has few parts and feeds empty cases , has good sights, has no safety catch to fumble or forget,
and never wears out ( see Chuck Taylor's test ) .
A lot of guys tout this gun or that because they never had trouble with their own example of it but YMMV .
The army tested the Beretta M-9 enough to prove it won't jam . How many of us can afford to run thousands of rounds through one of our pistols to see if they are reliable .
Glock has had some " upgrades " along the way so I would lean toward a brand new one to be sure it is as reliable as possible .
Especially with Glocks, you must observe Rule #3 !. Buy a good secure holster and keep the gun in it . The plastic Glock Brand holster is junk. Look at Blackhawk's SERPA level 1 or the Galco Concealable and others .

Old 10-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #15

start out with a sigma 9mm by s&w about $320.00 17 round cap. easy to take down and clean. no need to pay so much for a first gun. everyone thinks a big name gun make you a big time shooter, it does not.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #16
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not knocking any suggestions..........

Quote:
From what I have read, it really comes down to what feels good
I think that's the best place for you to start. Get your hands on as many handguns as you can. When you get to the one that feels "just right" you'll know it. Most manufacturers make multiple calibers on the same, or similar frame. Just like shoes, try 'em on first........

You can learn to shoot almost any handgun, but you can't always make any handgun feel good in your hands. If it doesn't feel good in your hands, you'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it....... in which case, you may as well carry a ball bat.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 11-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

3.8, I've come on this thread a bit late and I think you've received some really good responses, so I don't have much to add with the possible exception exception of final price of your selection(s).

Specifically, if you are seriously thinking of making a web purchase, and if you haven't arlready done so, I highly recommend you look at budsgunshop.com before you make a final decision. I have no interest in them other than my own experience and bottom line, which has been that after exhaustive searches at countless other sites I have found Bud's to have the best prices and customer service out there. Shipping is free on all weapons and, again in my experience, thay have the most in-stock inventory I've found.

Just something to consider.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:09 AM   #18

i'd say get a glock, but then again, that's just me lol

good 9mils: G17 and G19: capacity's good, not much recoil

good .40 SW: G22 and G23: decent capacity (13-15), not much recoil

now if u want the baby sized glocks, G26 (9mm) and G27 (.40 SW)

NRA member

by the way: Guns don't kill people, drivers on cell phones kill people.

Kel-Tec Su-16, Glock 17

Old 12-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some other options that might be considered: Kahr PM40 & Walther PPS.

Recently shot the PPS, and was amazed with how easy this slim little package was to shoot It is not much bigger than a PPK.

Both of the above choices are gears more towards CCW. If don't mind a larger firearm then I would highly recommend the Springfield Armory XD(m) 40.

Spend the extra money on a quality holster and ammo.

Last edited by Bighead; 12-08-2008 at 11:58 AM.